Mike McCoy is gone.

BroncoSojia

One of the reasons given for hiring McCoy, both from the powers that be at Dove Valley and Elway/Vance apologists in the media, was McCoy's creativity and his ability to adapt his players to his scheme and not the other way around. That's clearly not the case as he was running an offense as if he had Philip Rivers and Antonio Gates or Peyton Manning, Julius Thomas and Wes Welker. In other words, he did exactly what he learned from his mentor Josh McDaniels - run he offense you know how to run regardless of your personnel. 

Wasn't that something that Kubiak and Dennison were criticized for last year? 

It is true that McCoy was dealt and crappy hand with the personnel that Elway & Co. have given him. And the team has no leadership from the Head Coach. McCoy needed to go, but he wasn't the No. 1 problem with this team. Vance, Olivio and Woods all need to go too. And Elway needs to clean house in the Front Office, beginning with Matt Russel but not ending there. 

Just now, jsthomp2007 said:

I am going to say the next bad loss to a bad team.  

I'm not sure cheapskate Joe Ellis will allow it. They didn't want to pay Wade and there were rumors one of the things that turned them away from Kyle was his contract demands. 

Ellis, who has raised ticket prices, parking prices, concession prices and slapped a corporate sponsor on everything (yet can't find someone to buy the stadium naming rights) won't want to pay another coaching staff. He's trying to run this team on the cheap. Frankly - and I've been saying this since he hired Mac and gave him the keys to the whole franchise and then repeatedly lied to the media and fans about how much control he had given Mac - Joe Ellis is quite possibly the biggest problem with this franchise. 

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I'm not sure cheapskate Joe Ellis will allow it. They didn't want to pay Wade and there were rumors one of the things that turned them away from Kyle was his contract demands. 

Ellis, who has raised ticket prices, parking prices, concession prices and slapped a corporate sponsor on everything (yet can't find someone to buy the stadium naming rights) won't want to pay another coaching staff. He's trying to run this team on the cheap. Frankly - and I've been saying this since he hired Mac and gave him the keys to the whole franchise and then repeatedly lied to the media and fans about how much control he had given Mac - Joe Ellis is quite possibly the biggest problem with this franchise. 

Yeah...unsure why the Broncos are trying to scale profit margins.  It's not like the team is corporately run.  Pat Bowlen never seemed shy in regards to shelling out some $$$ to get coaching or players.  Perhaps the rest of the family is saying they needed higher profit margins?  

if that is the case...It will be hard, but I think I'd have to quit being a fan till that is all fixed...I'd say please sell the Manning and Elway now.  

13 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah this makes me sick

39 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Tell you one thing, when people stop going to the game, he'll think twice about it. Ellis is a slimeball, of that I have no doubt, but these guys aren't dumb- Denver fans are spoiled for sure, and when the team gets bad they stop showing up at the stadium. Happened during the end of the Shanny years, the McDaniels years, and is starting to happen now. Things like that will make Ellis think twice, IMO.

18 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

This offense has been stuck in the mud. Like a weighted-down elephant.

I'm interested to see what Musgrave does. 

If it's true that the playbook was overcomplicated, I would be curious to see how the new offense looks if it's simplified. I'm not sure we'll get much out of the Paxton Lynch era, but I suppose anything is possible.

54 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

This offense has been stuck in the mud. Like a weighted-down elephant.

I'm interested to see what Musgrave does. 

Vikings fans used to call it the 'Musty Grave Offense'. 

I wish I still had that report saved regarding Musgrave's playcalling in Minnesota. Basically, it was creative (especially in how he used Percy Harvin) but it didn't function well overall. We'd be in 3rd and long and he'd call for a 3 WR set and have everyone run 10 yard curl routes, ending up 4 yards short of the 1st down. His play card was tiny.

Maybe that was Christian Ponder's fault, or the fault of having no playmakers outside of Peterson/Harvin, but it was barebones.

That changed in Oakland but he had much more talent to work with.

So..good luck.

17 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I wish I still had that report saved regarding Musgrave's playcalling in Minnesota. Basically, it was creative (especially in how he used Percy Harvin) but it didn't function well overall. We'd be in 3rd and long and he'd call for a 3 WR set and have everyone run 10 yard curl routes, ending up 4 yards short of the 1st down. His play card was tiny.

Maybe that was Christian Ponder's fault, or the fault of having no playmakers outside of Peterson/Harvin, but it was barebones.

So..good luck.

That's good to know. Honestly, I think most of us were excited about Musgrave because of the work he did with Carr and the belief that some of it may translate to Lynch. Hard to know if it has or hasn't, but indications aren't good. A simplified offense might actually work better for us right now just given the personnel we have and the youth at QB, but the season is a wash anyway. They should be thinking towards the future.

27 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

So..good luck.

Keep in mind we actually would prefer if we went 0-6 for RoS....higher pick, franchise QB would be great if we can get him.  So none of what you are saying is that distressing to us (I know you're not trying to rile us up, but instead of worrying us...it kinda comforts me lol).

Nice part with Musgrave is not only does Lynch get an audition (which I think he fails spectacularly at), but we get to give Musgrave an audition too.   No harm to see what these guys can do, most likely they fail - which helps us long-term too.

41 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Keep in mind we actually would prefer if we went 0-6 for RoS....higher pick, franchise QB would be great if we can get him.  So none of what you are saying is that distressing to us (I know you're not trying to rile us up, but instead of worrying us...it kinda comforts me lol).

Nice part with Musgrave is not only does Lynch get an audition (which I think he fails spectacularly at), but we get to give Musgrave an audition too.   No harm to see what these guys can do, most likely they fail - which helps us long-term too.

Even if we end up with the #1 overall pick and have our pick of the lot, are you convinced on of Darnold, Rosen or Allen or Mayfield is a franchise QB? Because I’m sure as hell not. 

3 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I am going to say the next bad loss to a bad team.  

So a loss to the Raiders this weekend and Musgrave will got from Oakland whipping boy, to Oakland's "we're sorry, please come back" , to Denver's QB coach, to Denver's OC to Denver's HC? 

Things are coming up Musgrave!!! 

Full disclosure... I know Joe Woods gets that gig.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

So..good luck.

Frankly given the dearth of talent we have on offense, bare bones might be exactly what we need.

A valid criticism of McCoy was that he not only was unadapatable - you can’t run 11 personnel when you have only 2 legit WRs, no TEs and OTs who both suck in pass pro.

Musgrave is a veteran play caller. He dialed up some big plays in Oakland at times, then would get super conservative at other points in the game. Almost took his foot off the gas when the team got a lead. He's smart enough to get his playmakers the ball. And he's always had successful running games dating back to his days in Jacksonville. I think he can get Denver in and out of some plays where they can be successful and set things up more with the run. 

Archived