Week 8 Thread: The Wentz vs Matt Ryan game - where neither of them plays

MikeT14

14 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Heinecke is not really a turn over machine 

Huh?! Last week he had a pick 6, a fumble 6 that luckily by the grace of god got called back, and had 4 more passes that were deemed turnover worthy (all in the 1st half). Not to mention the pick he threw this week that should've been the dagger. The guys got nuts for sure but to say he's not a turnover machine is blatantly wrong. Heinecke is better at 3 things than Wentz. 1st and most importantly, he forces the ball to Terry. 2nd, he has mobility and isn't a sitting duck for the dline. 3rd, the guys got miles and miles of heart and puts it on the line for the team, and the team plays for him because of it. 

I would be willing to swallow my pride and say keep TH out there of Wentz, but I just don't know. Wentz typically gets better during the middle of the season but without the line giving him ample time to throw, he just doesn't fit our system and he refuses to force throws to Terry. His favorite target is Jahan and it showed when Jahan went out. 

Also, I think it's time some people give Jamin some credit. After getting called out he's been so much better. Last couple weeks the kid has been making some big time plays. I'm not saying he's been worth the 1st round pick, but he's been showing some major flashes and no one wants to talk about it. He's getting better each week and if he keeps progressing like this I think could be a stud due to his crazy athleticism. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

Huh?! Last week he had a pick 6, a fumble 6 that luckily by the grace of god got called back, and had 4 more passes that were deemed turnover worthy (all in the 1st half). Not to mention the pick he threw this week that should've been the dagger. The guys got nuts for sure but to say he's not a turnover machine is blatantly wrong. Heinecke is better at 3 things than Wentz. 1st and most importantly, he forces the ball to Terry. 2nd, he has mobility and isn't a sitting duck for the dline. 3rd, the guys got miles and miles of heart and puts it on the line for the team, and the team plays for him because of it. 

I would be willing to swallow my pride and say keep TH out there of Wentz, but I just don't know. Wentz typically gets better during the middle of the season but without the line giving him ample time to throw, he just doesn't fit our system and he refuses to force throws to Terry. His favorite target is Jahan and it showed when Jahan went out. 

So how many turnovers did he have last week? Not being a smart *** here but counting turnover worthy plays and plays called back for penalty when the guy he was going to throw too was grabbed and stopped is kinda silly. They aren’t turnovers. 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So how many turnovers did he have last week? Not being a smart *** here but counting turnover worthy plays and plays called back for penalty when the guy he was going to throw too was grabbed and stopped is kinda silly. They aren’t turnovers. 

He's had 2 in 2 weeks. Ya you're right they didn't end up turnovers but... Also threw 15 picks last year and started 16 games, played in 17. Dang near 1 per game and also had 4 fumbles.

45 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

TH was T-3 in the NFL in INTs last year and T-6 in Fumbles. 

You can’t go back to Wentz. He’s a bum as is, and everyone already knows he’s worse when he hears footsteps behind him on the depth chart. Heinicke isn’t great shakes, but at least there’s not a second round pick attached to his playing time and the team seems to respond better to him. 

• Like 2

Just now, MikeT14 said:

Man that game was fun at the end. Give Terry a chance and he makes good things happen. Two huge 4th down plays too. 

Defense has been playing well enough, but next week will be an unbelievable test to see where they truly are. 

I thinking/ feling next week is going to be ugly all around . 

41 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

He's had 2 in 2 weeks. Ya you're right they didn't end up turnovers but... Also threw 15 picks last year and started 16 games, played in 17. Dang near 1 per game and also had 4 fumbles.

I don't look at him as a long-term starter. I look at him as an inexpensive stop-gap. He's going to make bonehead mistakes because he doesn't have the arm to get himself out of trouble but for whatever reason he wins games. I don't know why or how but when it matters he comes through? He costs this team like $2M a year and he's outplaying the guy they gave up multiple picks for who also forced us to sit out the off-season. Everyone knows I'd rather see Howell out there but they aren't going to do it and its better than giving up a second round pick for Wentz. 

I just watched the final drive and I am impressed by TH's ability to keep the offense moving. 

I will take a step back on my assessment of his arm strength. I had thought his arm strength had improved because of last week's TD to Terry.

But on the final drive yesterday, that ball to Terry on the 4 yard line (where Terry fights and then gets it on the 1yd line), Terry had Gilmore beat by like 4 yards. A stronger arm gets the ball to Terry in the endzone for a TD there. Instead it was underthrown and Terry had to come back and fight for it (and it was nearly intercepted).

It worked out for us as it allowed us to run more time off the clock. But just pointing out that I was wrong. He's a gamer, but his arm is what it is. Can we win with it? Yes. Is he a franchise QB (the way Josh Allen is)? No.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I just watched the final drive and I am impressed by TH's ability to keep the offense moving. 

I will take a step back on my assessment of his arm strength. I had thought his arm strength had improved because of last week's TD to Terry.

But on the final drive yesterday, that ball to Terry on the 4 yard line (where Terry fights and then gets it on the 1yd line), Terry had Gilmore beat by like 4 yards. A stronger arm gets the ball to Terry in the endzone for a TD there. Instead it was underthrown and Terry had to come back and fight for it (and it was nearly intercepted).

It worked out for us as it allowed us to run more time off the clock. But just pointing out that I was wrong. He's a gamer, but his arm is what it is. Can we win with it? Yes. Is he a franchise QB (the way Josh Allen is)? No.

I agree completely with your analysis of that throw, however, I noted he couldn't step up . A Dlineman had come free and was a step away . he did fling it 44 yards in the air flatfooted but it was 5 yards under thrown . 

Easily could have been interceoted . 

• Like 1