Trades?

Phinsesq

5 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Robert Jones must be horrendous in practice, because he seems like he should be much better than Eich.  

On that note though, this OL is a completely different unit with TA in there.  If they could get even an "average" LG, they would be in business.  

I'd like to see us hit on a top-rated Center in 2023 draft (it looks like a good crop of Centers) and move Williams to LG.  We desperately need that dominant Guard Tackle combo for the outside zone to work properly IMO.  I'm routing for Eichenberg, but I've seen enough to believe it's time to make moves in another direction.  LG has been Eichenberg's best position (even going back to college IMO).  He was a panic pick by Grier because he misread the OT run.  Eichenberg has a lot of potential, but we can't afford to sacrifice our QB team friendly cap years waiting for players to develop.

5 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

Bradley Chubb is rumored to be available and is in the final year of his deal. How about a 2nd round pick if we can agree to an extension? 

I don't think they move off Chubb for a 2nd rounder.  Also, I don't think he makes us better.  He is a very good player, but his cap cost isn't going to help.  He is playing on the final year of his contract for $12.716 M, so he is probably going to be shopping for $18-$20 mil a year contract for 2023 and beyond. Finally, our lack of edge pressure has more to do with a scheme weakness than it does with player talent.

Edited by Swampbilly
  • Like 1

What trade would I like to see?  Mike Gesicki for a 2nd round pick.  I would definitely settle for a 3rd round pick from the right team.  He's a good player that has potential to be a great pass catcher, but he isn't going to be a high-volume target type player with our current roster and scheme.  Let's get something significant for him before he walks away after the season.

Edited by Swampbilly

44 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

What trade would I like to see?  Mike Gesicki for a 2nd round pick.  I would definitely settle for a 3rd round pick from the right team.  He's a good player that has potential to be a great pass catcher, but he isn't going to be a high-volume target type player with our current roster and scheme.  Let's get something significant for him before he walks away after the season.

Don't the Fins get a 3rd rd pick anyway if another team signs Gesicki? I can't remember all the innards of the rules tho. 

1 minute ago, Tetsujin said:

As long as we don’t sign a player of comparable value I think.

True, but a 3rd round comp pick is really a 4th round pick since the comp picks don't begin until after round 3.  Also, I'm not sure we would get the 3rd round comp rating for Gesicki so a 3rd round pick for Gesicki in a contract year could be a win for both teams.

My take as a Broncos fan (trade compensation notwithstanding): 

Chubb is not quite an elite player but he’s a very good one. He’s terrific setting the edge in the run game and is pretty solid handling minor coverage responsibilities when asked to, so there’s nothing on the field he can’t do at a high level. You’ll never put him in a bad situation.

As a pass rusher I think he’s more good than special, but he’ll definitely be additive to your group. He wins with power and sound technique and can line up anywhere. If you have some speed and bend on the roster to complement him I think he fits in perfectly.

I’m assuming this will quickly lead to a new contract. Something like 4/75 or 4/80. I’d be a little worried about the injury history there  but if he can stay healthy I think that value is fine. He’ll be a huge boost to your locker room, A+ character guy and will bring some toughness.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Did not really expect us to be active at the trade deadline and feeling mixed about the moves. Makes us better right now but kinda sucks to not have a 1st round pick two years in a row....

I agree, but Grier hasn't been stellar on his first-round hits, especially not with edge defenders....so that's the good news LMAO.  Also, Chubb was a legit top 5 pick in 2018 and I think he rates superior to any edge defender in the 2023 draft class.