Week 8 GDT: Texans vs Titans

lumberjackchris

2 hours ago, Marco79 said:

Let me repeat my first sentence again — There’s obviously no one free agent that would have solved the Texans issues but there are definitely people out there would have made them more competitive and also I acknowledged the fact that he came into a terrible situation. No one was expecting the franchise to be turned around in two seasons given the state it was in, so I don’t know where you got that from, but the team could have been more competitive than it is if Caserio was able to bring in better players as depth, not superstars just depth on the margins. He hasn’t done a good job of doing that on offense to improve the team and because of the lack of draft capital and cap space, a GM in a situation like this needs to be able to do that. 

Again, I don’t think Caserio should be fired, but if all we acknowledge that the Texans aren’t competitive because of the hole they were put in by BoB, why doesn’t that extend to the coaches? And if the coaches are to blame, shouldn’t Caserio be at somewhat of fault because he’s the one that hired them? It’s just this weird logic where Caserio is absolved from any wrongdoing because of the situation he took over, but no one else is given the same leeway. 

I don't judge coaches purely on results. I judge them on stuff they can control like leadership, game management, play calling. They have been terrible at that. Fringe players would cost money we didn't have and get us what to 4 wins. That isn't helpful. He is building through the draft as he should. We'll see what he does next year with Watson's salary off the books and maybe finding a way to move cooks.

And any following of the teams coaching searches knows that Caseiro was not the driver of the hires. Easterby was the clear driver of Culley and Lovie Smith came from above after the Brian Flores lawsuit. He hasn't really been able to pick anyone yet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mse326 said:

And any following of the teams coaching searches knows that Caseiro was not the driver of the hires. Easterby was the clear driver of Culley and Lovie Smith came from above after the Brian Flores lawsuit. He hasn't really been able to pick anyone yet.

I’ll give you the 2021 coach search, but this past one Caserio was clearly in the driver’s seat and the team situation was better (an imminent Watson trade that would bring back draft capital, their own 1st and 2nd round picks, a blank roster basically because everyone was a free agent, a ton of cap space in looking to come off the books the following year etc). If Caserio wasn’t able to sell the opportunity to a new coach, that’s on him and the Flores lawsuit was somewhat of their own making by hiring someone who had no business ever being a head coach and then having to fire them a year later. 
I’m not even a Caserio hater — I’ve liked a lot of things he’s done, but he needs to share the blame in some of this because he is the one that has been leading the organization the past two years. That’s all I’m saying.

7 hours ago, Marco79 said:

I’ll give you the 2021 coach search, but this past one Caserio was clearly in the driver’s seat and the team situation was better (an imminent Watson trade that would bring back draft capital, their own 1st and 2nd round picks, a blank roster basically because everyone was a free agent, a ton of cap space in looking to come off the books the following year etc). If Caserio wasn’t able to sell the opportunity to a new coach, that’s on him and the Flores lawsuit was somewhat of their own making by hiring someone who had no business ever being a head coach and then having to fire them a year later. 
I’m not even a Caserio hater — I’ve liked a lot of things he’s done, but he needs to share the blame in some of this because he is the one that has been leading the organization the past two years. That’s all I’m saying.

He was going to hire Flores but then Flores filed the suit. So from above him they nixed Flores, but basically required him to hire Lovie as a minority candidate to not feed into the issue.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2022 at 5:36 PM, mse326 said:

He was going to hire Flores but then Flores filed the suit. So from above him they nixed Flores, but basically required him to hire Lovie as a minority candidate to not feed into the issue.

And Easterby was pushing Josh McCown to the point where he was in serious consideration - I mean, really think about that for a second: Josh McCown, backup QB with a resume that includes volunteer work as a part time HS football coach, now suddenly a finalist for exactly one position in the NFL.

Hard to claim this was your own search when a guy who isn’t your boss comes up to you like he’s your boss and says “hey, you should hire my friend who is completely unqualified for the job… but he’s my friend, so he’ll be good for the job…”