Week 8: San Francisco 49ers @ Los Angeles Rams

N4L

43 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Alex had a lot of ups and downs in the playoffs.  The Saints game being his high, and the low point being the NY Giants game the following week.  That being said, he had nobody to throw to that game, and he had to pass for over 100 yards to win.

TBH I am amazed at how Jimmy wins in the playoffs.  I've never seen a QB do so little, yet get so many positive results.  It is bizarre and hard to grade and rank etc. 

Alex's playoff career was a lot like his regular career, some high ups, some low downs, and just the feeling that there was something being left out on the table.  TBH I thought he could do something with that Redskins team before he hurt his leg.  That team was filled with guys he liked and had experience with, and they were just a weird, defensive centered reflection of Alex as a QB.  They were 5-1 or something when he got hurt.  

I think it is a fair comparison, besides JG seems to have an extreme amount of good luck, and Alex Smith seems to have a bunch of bad luck.  

You mean that game that only went into overtime because of the fumbles on punt return?  or was it one punt fumble in regular and one in overtime?  I forget with how pure trash that special teams was.  That game also went into overtime because of the quickest whistle for stopping forward progress that has ever happened in a game for ahmad bradshaw.  

We should have won that game but Alex was not the reason we lost it.  I do not recall his performance... what game in the playoffs can you say that Jimmy carried the team?  I am not sure that Jimmies best performance matches up with Alex's worst - playoff wise. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, burlow said:

You mean that game that only went into overtime because of the fumbles on punt return?  or was it one punt fumble in regular and one in overtime?  I forget with how pure trash that special teams was.  That game also went into overtime because of the quickest whistle for stopping forward progress that has ever happened in a game for ahmad bradshaw.  

We should have won that game but Alex was not the reason we lost it.  I do not recall his performance... what game in the playoffs can you say that Jimmy carried the team?  I am not sure that Jimmies best performance matches up with Alex's worst - playoff wise. 

The team was like 1/13 on 3rd down.  That was the real reason the team lost.  Every one remembers the Fumbles, I sure do, but those are freak plays and odd bounces.  The sucking on third down had been something the team experienced all season, and it was magnified during the Giants game.  People talk about the bad call, but it was so loud there it was hard to tell when the ref blew the whistle, and that is out of the 49ers control.  I feel like inadequacy on 3rd down was the downfall of the 2011 49ers.

He wasn't the reason the team lost, but he had a chance to be the reason the team won, but he wasn't quite able to get the job done. 

I know Alex has been the better playoff QB, but I still take Jimmy G's absurdly good luck over Alex's very bad no good luck.  Like the guy said before, you just gotta throw your arms up and go with it sometimes.

Which game do you think was alex's playoff low?  One of the KC games?  I didn't pay as close attention to those.  

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

13 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Alex had a lot of ups and downs in the playoffs.  The Saints game being his high, and the low point being the NY Giants game the following week.  That being said, he had nobody to throw to that game, and he had to pass for over 100 yards to win.

The Giants game wasn't his low in my opinion. His low would probably be the Pitt game he had with KC. 

I think people forget how really good the Giants defense was in that playoff season. Alex wasn't good, but I do give a lot of credit to the Giants defense. Look at what they did in those playoffs.

They shut out Matt Ryan / Julio / Roddy / Michael turner / Tony G. 

Rodgers' numbers look pretty on the outside, but they were held to 13 points deep into the 4th and then the game became a blow out. Rodgers threw out a TD in garbage time to get them to 20. Rodgers' numbers look prettier than Alex's, but I'm not sure it was that much better of a performance by Green Bay, especially given the talent disparity between Alex and Aaron. 

Brady was fine

A lot of people bring up the receiver thing, and I think it's somewhat reasonable, but in truth when your second receiver is Kyle Williams and you're on a team with Vernon / Delanie Walker and Frank Gore, I think it makes a ton of sense that the offense is going to run outside of the receivers in the passing game. He missed some throws he should have made, though. 

48 minutes ago, Forge said:

The Giants game wasn't his low in my opinion. His low would probably be the Pitt game he had with KC. 

I think people forget how really good the Giants defense was in that playoff season. Alex wasn't good, but I do give a lot of credit to the Giants defense. Look at what they did in those playoffs.

They shut out Matt Ryan / Julio / Roddy / Michael turner / Tony G. 

Rodgers' numbers look pretty on the outside, but they were held to 13 points deep into the 4th and then the game became a blow out. Rodgers threw out a TD in garbage time to get them to 20. Rodgers' numbers look prettier than Alex's, but I'm not sure it was that much better of a performance by Green Bay, especially given the talent disparity between Alex and Aaron. 

Brady was fine

A lot of people bring up the receiver thing, and I think it's somewhat reasonable, but in truth when your second receiver is Kyle Williams and you're on a team with Vernon / Delanie Walker and Frank Gore, I think it makes a ton of sense that the offense is going to run outside of the receivers in the passing game. He missed some throws he should have made, though. 

Ted Ginn was so important to that team.  They didn't have much depth, but they stayed healthy.  Just more of the classic Alex Smith bad luck.  I hope it doesn't carry over into his post football life.

On 11/5/2022 at 1:49 AM, burlow said:

... what game in the playoffs can you say that Jimmy carried the team? 

Our 4 playoff wins with Jimmy

Vikings '19- team win. Just beat them in all phases

Packers '19- Raheem the dream and the OL dominated

Dallas '21- thank God for Robbie Gould. Also Jimmy nearly lost us that game with the awful 4th q INT

GB '21- I remembered that final drive as a shining moment for Jimmy, but in a rewatch it was mostly deebo.. and still took a 42 yarder in frozen hell from Gould

5 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I was sick with Covid but this dub made me feel better. 

Literally was screaming and punching pillows anytime we did something right.

Sorry to hear that, glad to see you better, I went nuts both games against the Rams, man this win felt so good. CMC is so lethal.

6 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I was sick with Covid but this dub made me feel better. 

Literally was screaming and punching pillows anytime we did something right.

Glad you're feeling better. I watched this game from a hospital room because my 1 yr old got a bad case of RSV. This win definitely helped give some levity to a crappy situation.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Glad you're feeling better. I watched this game from a hospital room because my 1 yr old got a bad case of RSV. This win definitely helped give some levity to a crappy situation.

Damn! I hope your 1yr old is now home from hospital now….my wife is a nurse and RSV is running rampant. RSV is no joke.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, 9erFreak77 said:

Damn! I hope your 1yr old is now home from hospital now….my wife is a nurse and RSV is running rampant. RSV is no joke.

Dude…

We were in the hospital with him for 7 days. The entire pediatric wing was filled with rsv cases ranged from a 14 day old to 4 year olds and everything in between. 

It got to the point where they were looking to transfer us to a hospital that had a pediatric icu. The hospital we were at was around the Washington DC area. They were looking for space in hospitals from Albany, NY to Raleigh, NC and couldn’t find a single hospital with space. 

luckily, he was on the mend so we didn’t have to transfer, but this crap is everywhere. 

Seriously, kudos to your wife for doing what she’s doing because it’s sorely needed. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Hope all is well now.

My entire family ended up getting covid but thankfully it was minor for the most part.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 8:51 PM, NinerNation21 said:

Prayers to you & your family, praying for your 1yr old

• Like 1