2023 Coaching Candidates

broncos_fan _from _uk

Seems like a foregone conclusion at this point. Might as well start looking ahead.

My top 3 right now are the 3 remaining of my top 5 last year (Hackett and McDaniel being the other 2). Dan Quinn, Raheem Morris, and Brian Callahan.

Much like when we hired John Fox I think we need an adult in the room who isn’t in over their head. If we can keep some consistency in scheme that’s a plus (because I honestly love the scheme that we’re supposed to be running on both sides of the ball)

1a) Dan Quinn: it’s not a secret that I prefer 2nd time HCs. Over the last 25 years most of the SB winning HCs have been in their second stint (including all 3 of our Lombardis). Quinn has shown that the job is not too much for him. Here’s what I said last year about Quinn “I want people who have struggled and succeeded. Who have failed on their way to the top. That means that they learn and grow. Any business, and especially pro sports, is constantly evolving. I want a coach who has shown they can too. Quinn has done that.” Additionally I love that his preferred O scheme seems to be the Shanahan WCO and the guy rumored to be his OC last year if he got a job was Klint Kubiak.

1b) Raheem Morris: another 2nd time HC (3rd if you count his interim time after he took over for Quinn in ATL). Has coaching experience on both sides of the ball. Currently the DC of the Rams and has a great working relationship Evero. Again his preferred O is the Shanahan WCO. 

3) Brian Callahan: A former coaches kid who has been a long time OC, worked with many coaches, and currently runs a version of the WCO under a young HC who calls the plays. Yes I admit this sounds a lot like Hackett. But I think Callahan would fare better. 

As I said he has been a coach under a number of different coaches, meaning he has been exposed to different styles of leadership, organizational structure, to include: Fox, Kubiak, Gruden, Caldwell and Taylor. 

Despite being the son of a successful coach he didn't take a hand out by accepting his first job with his father, but instead started from scratch to build up his career, starting with high school coaching and working his way through the ranks. He also has a masters in education, which I admit doesn’t necessarily mean anything but does indicate a willingness to learn about his craft.

I also think that Demeco Ryans is going to be a hell of a coach in this league, but this team at this time probably isn’t the right job for him.

Edited by broncos_fan _from _uk

I love all of these candidates but Callahan.  I think he is and always will be an amazing OL coach, who they should hire anyway to go along with these coaches. I also am bullish on Demeco Ryan; dude was a bad a$$.  But Quinn has coached, and coached in a Super Bowl.  I guess we should have done that in the first place.  PLUS, with Quinn he has familiarity with Russ.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I love all of these candidates but Callahan.  I think he is and always will be an amazing OL coach, who they should hire anyway to go along with these coaches. I also am bullish on Demeco Ryan; dude was a bad a$$.  But Quinn has coached, and coached in a Super Bowl.  I guess we should have done that in the first place.  PLUS, with Quinn he has familiarity with Russ.

This Callahan and the OL coach’s son. Broncos assistant from 2010-2015.bounced around as a QB coach for a couple years before being the bengals OC since 2019.

Dan Quinn would be my first choice, but worth noting that Morris has a relationship with Evero (we should be moving mountains to keep Evero at DC)

We need a no nonsense CEO head coach and more importantly we absolutely must hit on an OC to work with Russell Wilson. Darrell Bevell anyone? 

1 hour ago, BroncoinGermany said:

Would Quinn even accept it after once losing out on it? I doubt that. My favorite would be Morris. Aside from the aforementioned ties to Evero, his experience on all sides of the ball + past head coaching could lend itself to the CEO-type HC this team has been needing for quite some time.

I mean, if other teams are falling over themselves to hire him then maybe. But I don’t think he will pass on it to stay as DC in Dallas. Head coach jobs don’t grow on trees. 

7 hours ago, BroncoinGermany said:

Would Quinn even accept it after once losing out on it? I doubt that. My favorite would be Morris. Aside from the aforementioned ties to Evero, his experience on all sides of the ball + past head coaching could lend itself to the CEO-type HC this team has been needing for quite some time.

For all we know Quinn declined, we will never know what truly goes on behind closed doors but it’s 1/32 jobs in the world. New owners with bigger pockets could at least get you to consider it I’d think.

I really am not up for a retread.  I haven’t given up hope on Hackett even though his personality gave me pause from day 1.  Not that he’s a bad guy, I think he’d be a great asset to any staff as a balancer to tough coaching, but he just comes across as unserious and you can’t have that as an HC.

Jonathan Gannon is a name left off these lists.  Interviewed with Denver last year and seems on pace to be a HC.

7 hours ago, germ-x said:

I really am not up for a retread.  I haven’t given up hope on Hackett even though his personality gave me pause from day 1.  Not that he’s a bad guy, I think he’d be a great asset to any staff as a balancer to tough coaching, but he just comes across as unserious and you can’t have that as an HC.

Jonathan Gannon is a name left off these lists.  Interviewed with Denver last year and seems on pace to be a HC.

This is who I was coming in here to say. Gannon is going to be an awesome HC. That Eagles D is no joke and Gannon is, by all accounts, extremely highly thought of. One thing I like about his background is that he was also a scout for 3 years with the Rams. You don't see that very much.

11 hours ago, germ-x said:

Our best coaches in the past 30 years have been retreads. Shanahan, Fox, Kubiak, etc. We've gone the inexperienced route too many times over the past few years with nothing to show for it. At this particular moment, we need someone that's done it before. 

Edited by BroncoSojia

19 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Three straight hires with zero collective HC experience and all three looked totally lost in their first year (and it never got better with VJ or Fangio).

A retread would actually be refreshing.

Strange to say but yes. We've had coaches that are too hard on players (vic) but also ones who don't seem to provide a culture of accountability (Hackett, Vance, etc). We need someone who knows how to work the media but also behind the scenes show a standard that must be followed...especially Russ needs that tbh. I think he would probably sulk about it sometimes but ultimately respect it if it was working. This happened to Rodgers with LaFleur 

35 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Our best coaches in the past 30 years have been retreads. Shanahan, Fox, Kubiak, etc. We've gone the inexperienced route too many time of the past few years with nothing to show for it. At this particular moment, we need someone that's done it before. 

Not just our best hires but the best hires of the last 30 years have been guys on their second HC stint (in addition to the broncos mentioned above you have Belichick, Reid, Carroll, Arians, Dungy, Coughlin amongst others). Sure you’ll have the rare 1st time coach who does relatively well (Payton, Tomlin, Harbaugh, Mcvey) but the modern NFL (not for long) doesn’t allow for much growing on the job. I honestly believe that in the long run Hackett will be a good HC. The situation here (aging QB on a massive contract and a fickle fan base with a SB or bust mindset) just doesn’t allow for that growth. They key to to see if they’ve been able to identify their previous faults and learn from them and have a plan to not repeat the same mistakes twice.