2023 Coaching Candidates

broncos_fan _from _uk

1 hour ago, Zukhyubern said:

Just fire his *** now and move on and see what you’ve got in Evero as the interim. What do you have to lose at this point it’s already nearing the nadir of Broncos history

Absolutely no on Evero. We hired him as a 1st time DC and he's exceeded all expectations. Keep him there. What do we have to lose? A great DC.

39 minutes ago, germ-x said:

If football wasn’t about nepotism and who you know, then yes any new HC coming in would 100% try and keep all of the defensive staff.

Trust me, I’m with you here. 

I guess I’m just desperate to hold on to Ejiro no matter what happens here. Wonder if that’s part of the rationale behind not making the move now. 

4 hours ago, Zukhyubern said:

You really think a new coach coming in is going to keep Evero? Doubtful. 

It depends on Paton completely. It should be, and always has been, part of the interview process. IE: Who would you retain or replace on the staff?

If someone wants to dump Evero it should be an interview ender. IE: Thank you for your time............Next!

14 hours ago, Zukhyubern said:

You really think a new coach coming in is going to keep Evero? Doubtful. 

13 hours ago, germ-x said:

If football wasn’t about nepotism and who you know, then yes any new HC coming in would 100% try and keep all of the defensive staff.

13 hours ago, Zukhyubern said:

Trust me, I’m with you here. 

I guess I’m just desperate to hold on to Ejiro no matter what happens here. Wonder if that’s part of the rationale behind not making the move now. 

56 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

The likely answer, if he wants the job, is Quinn as HC, and Bevell as OC if he and Russ can play nice and get along. Keep Evero and promote him to asst HC/DC. That would be my preference. We just need stability somewhere. 

@Zukhyubern - as much as I share your sentiment to keep Evero - if you promote him to HC, then you can't keep him from taking other interviews unless you're willing to stick with him as HC.   If you keep him as DC, Paton can actually block all interviews for DC from other teams, and they can promote him to assistant HC with the next guy.

I do get your concern the next guy wouldn't keep Evero - but it's also pretty clear the D is really special.   I don't see it as a hard sell to say Evero stays.  We have seen it before on teams where they're addressing 1 side / HC only.   Ironically, going interim HC gives Paton fewer outs.     Keeping him as DC in-season, and then promoting him to assistant HC with the new guy - gives us the most protection from other teams (who would have to commit to hire him as HC to poach him).

Don't get me wrong, I want Hackett gone since mid-season - and frankly, we would have been better off with that result.   And in that scenario, without knowing the above, I was ALL about Evero as interim HC.      But we might as well take the path with the most future flexibility - and that's Dom Capers as interim HC, as a figurehead - and installing KK as full OC, demoting Outton, and letting Evero stay as DC - and promoting him to assistant HC in the offseason, to block other teams (unless they want to go the HC route).   Then seeing where we are then.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

At this point it seems it's all moot and they're going to let Hackjob dig his grave even deeper. 

To be honest I do feel somewhat bad for Hackett. His enthusiasm was palpable and in hindsight I don't think he was set up in a situation to succeed. I'm also discouraged from the fact that Paton likely knew from the interview process that Hackett was planning on bringing Outten as OC (horrible mistake) and was also planning on play-calling. It's one thing if you see Hackett as a future star a la Tomlin—that is, mediocre coordinator resume but exceptional leadership skills when surrounded by great football minds and strategizers—but to give him the keys without experienced decision makers around him was a critical error on Paton's part. 

Not to mention the fact that Russell is clearly cooked and that maybe more research should've gone into that decision. While I supported the trade and did have tempered excitement my gut was telling me something was wrong. I didn't want to acknowledge it for fear of jinxing the time (lol) but now that this season has become such a disaster I realize that those initial fears were well-founded. If only the professionals getting paid millions to make these decisions had wised up...

I think you obviously fire Hackett and go into next year with a coaching staff that you're 100% committed to beyond 2023, with or without Russell and no matter how bad the record is. I recently read a piece on the Athletic that laid out the historical significance of one-and-done coaches and how that typically is more reflective on ownership and management than the coaches themselves. Obviously NFL history is chock full of examples where a coach began his career with terrible records and stats before finally gaining momentum. The timing of the ownership change and Paton's hiring is clearly awkward but the Waltons need to decide if they can realistically go forward as a united front with George and a huge part of that will be the head coaching decision. While I don't think Hackett deserves another year this simply has to be the last one-and-done hiring we make or else this franchise will truly crumble further. It's depressing to think about where we're heading...

Edited by Zukhyubern
  • Like 2

At this point it seems it's all moot and they're going to let Hackjob dig his grave even deeper. 

To be honest I do feel somewhat bad for Hackett. His enthusiasm was palpable and in hindsight I don't think he was set up in a situation to succeed. I'm also discouraged from the fact that Paton likely knew from the interview process that Hackett was planning on bringing Outten as OC (horrible mistake) and was also planning on play-calling. It's one thing if you see Hackett as a future star a la Tomlin—that is, mediocre coordinator resume but exceptional leadership skills when surrounded by great football minds and strategizers—but to give him the keys without experienced decision makers around him was a critical error on Paton's part. 

Not to mention the fact that Russell is clearly cooked and that maybe more research should've gone into that decision. While I supported the trade and did have tempered excitement my gut was telling me something was wrong. I didn't want to acknowledge it for fear of jinxing the time (lol) but now that this season has become such a disaster I realize that those initial fears were well-founded. If only the professionals getting paid millions to make these decisions had wised up...

I think you obviously fire Hackett and go into next year with a coaching staff that you're 100% committed to beyond 2023, with or without Russell and no matter how bad the record is. I recently read a piece on the Athletic that laid out the historical significance of one-and-done coaches and how that typically is more reflective on ownership and management than the coaches themselves. Obviously NFL history is chock full of examples where a coach began his career with terrible records and stats before finally gaining momentum. The timing of the ownership change and Paton's hiring is clearly awkward but the Waltons need to decide if they can realistically go forward as a united front with George and a huge part of that will be the head coaching decision. While I don't think Hackett deserves another year this simply has to be the last one-and-done hiring we make or else this franchise will truly crumble further. It's depressing to think about where we're heading...

The issue with citing one-and-done HC's as a reflection on FO's - times are clearly changing.     Urban Meyer was a terrible hire, and while I don't think much of Khan as owner or Baalke as GM, that's a decision that has to be made.     CLE moving on from Freddie Kitchens, another one as well.   I absolutely endorse the idea HC's should get 3 years - but there always exceptions to the rule.   VJ really only needed 2.    Hackett's so awful that 1 is generous TBH.  And yes, that's historic-level in his nature.     

Keep in mind when the hire was made, there's still fair speculation A-Rod was Plan A - and then by the Combine, Paton moved on to Wilson (and the deal was agreed to shortly after).     Obviously A-Rod has his own issues in GB - but in that context, it's both fair to see why Hackett might have been the choice - and why it was also a disaster once Wilson was the target (pretty clear the 2 don't mesh, no matter how much you want to assign blame to either).   If we find out later that was the thinking, it's also a great lesson in why you can't hire ppl based on projected team, and have to be able to get someone who can adapt a scheme to fit the player, and not vice-versa.

I can give Paton a pass for Wilson/Hackett - because Wilson was seen as a massive upgrade.   Hackett is more of a black mark on Paton.    But it's just that - on what's been an excellent roster building / draft track record in his 2 years here.  Still, it's a fair statement to say he's gone 0-for-2 in the most important decisions - which is balanced against a terrific roster build from the draft & value FA.   

We just have to remember to take the wide angle lens view here with Paton.   He's made outstanding draft picks (not just PS2 - Browning, Meinerz, Sterns & Javonte last year, and this year, both Dulcich, Bonnito & Mathis have already shown very clear ability, and likely a significant role next year (and I think Turner-Yell becomes our 3rd S soon).   He's set us up in very good cap shape, and  recouped picks for guys we couldn't keep far above what comp picks would have netted with Von & Chubb.  Even Hackett's choice, it's recoverable.   Wilson's extension is the big decision that's going to be heavily second-guessed for sure - but that's the conundrum with waiting too long, the bill gets way higher.  Obviously we all would have been better off with waiting.

Paton's done more than enough to keep the job, it's not even a Q IMO - but he also likely only gets 1 more chance with a HC hire.    And that's fully deserved.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The issue with citing one-and-done HC's as a reflection on FO's - times are clearly changing.     Urban Meyer was a terrible hire, and while I don't think much of Khan as owner or Baalke as GM, that's a decision that has to be made.     CLE moving on from Freddie Mitchell, another one as well.   I absolutely endorse the idea HC's should get 3 years - but there always exceptions to the rule.   VJ really only needed 2.    Hackett's so awful that 1 is generous TBH.  And yes, that's historic-level in his nature.     Keep in mind when the hire was made, there's still fair speculation A-Rod was Plan A - and then by the Combine, Paton moved on to Wilson (and the deal was agreed to shortly after).     Obviously A-Rod has his own issues in GB - but in that context, it's both fair to see why Hackett might have been the choice - and why it was also a disaster once Wilson was the target (pretty clear the 2 don't mesh, no matter how much you want to assign blame to either).   If we find out later that was the thinking, it's also a great lesson in why you can't hire ppl based on projected team, and have to be able to get someone who can adapt a scheme to fit the player, and not vice-versa.

I can give Paton a pass for Wilson/Hackett - because Wilson was seen as a massive upgrade.   Hackett is more of a black mark on Paton.    But it's just that - on what's been an excellent roster building / draft track record in his 2 years here.  Still, it's a fair statement to say he's gone 0-for-2 in the most important decisions - which is balanced against a terrific roster build from the draft & value FA.   

We just have to remember to take the wide angle lens view here with Paton.   He's made outstanding draft picks (not just PS2, Browning, Meinerz, Sterns & Javonte last year, and this year, Dulcich & Bonnito & Mathis have already shown very clear ability, and likely a significant role next year (and I think Turner-Yell becomes our 3rd S soon).   He's set us up in very good cap shape, and  recouped picks for guys we couldn't keep far above what comp picks would have netted with Von & Chubb.  Even Hackett's choice, it's recoverable.   Wilson's extension is the big decision that's going to be heavily second-guessed for sure - but that's the conundrum with waiting too long, the bill gets way higher.  Obviously we all would have been better off with waiting.

Paton's done more than enough to keep the job, it's not even a Q IMO - but he also likely only gets 1 more chance with a HC hire.    And that's fully deserved.

Everyone on the radio thinks Paton is a dead man walking. I hope that’s not the case - radio guys are entertainers, not journalists no matter what they say - but it does bother me that it seems to be the consensus. 

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Everyone on the radio thinks Paton is a dead man walking. I hope that’s not the case - radio guys are entertainers, not journalists no matter what they say - but it does bother me that it seems to be the consensus. 

Especially in Denver recently. I feel like ever since Joel Klatt left the fan (and the rest of Denver sports radio as an extension) has really leaned into the D-Mac version of sports infowars. Honestly I’ve moved over to altitude radio. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Especially in Denver recently. I feel like ever since Joel Klatt left the fan (and the rest of Denver sports radio as an extension) has really leaned into the D-Mac version of sports infowars. Honestly I’ve moved over to altitude radio. 

I listen to The Fan morning show, which is solid, but midday is ok, I can’t stand patriots/Cu homer Chad Brown but Orlando Franklin and Nate Jackson are good. Stokley/Zach is very meh but they’re up against the Scott Hastings show on Altitude and he’s just an overgrown 14 year old. DMac is horrendous, and from my experience covering the Broncos for the now-defunct Football Nation, he’s kinda a bad person. 

Denver radio just leaves a lot to be desired but I’m in my car so much I listen to sports talk almost exclusively. 

7 hours ago, broncos67 said:

The likely answer, if he wants the job, is Quinn as HC, and Bevell as OC if he and Russ can play nice and get along. Keep Evero and promote him to asst HC/DC. That would be my preference. We just need stability somewhere. 

Lack of stability on all levels is a huge problem. Also, lack of FO talent, lack of coaching talent. Trust me, this team is reminiscent of 60's Bronco's but no where near as entertaining.

Now that's a good post. Take it a step further though. We really have no leadership. Our Org chart looks pretty bleak. The owners, George and Howdy Doody. That's the chain of command. If you look at our staff, we probably have fewer football guys than any team in the league. 

We are seriously short on high end talent. George is the best draft/personnel guy we've ever had but lousy at being the "Head of Football Operations".

7 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Radio sports talk hosts have the collective intelligence of a rock, and most people who buy into the BS are about the same level of stupid.

And not directed at you AAA but for the record Outten was not the first choice at OC, GB blocked that hire but I doubt it would’ve made us all that much better anyways.