2023 Coaching Candidates

broncos_fan _from _uk

To be honest, I think it's hard to gauge what our "FO Talent" looks like. None of us are close enough to the innerworkings of the front office or scouting organization. Over the last two years, I would say we've drafted relatively well compared to the Elway years, and we've had decent pro personnel scouting.

A modern football organization needs to have marketers. Like it or not, sports are about growing the brand alongside winning on the field. The Broncos have a successful/storied history, loyal fanbase, and a wide reach. They absolutely should have an arm of the FO focusing on growing the brand. 

As an aside, I don't think any of us will ever know the true story behind the Hackett hire. I personally am skeptical that he was hired to "lure" Rodgers. I think it's more likely he was hired because Fangio's personality and approach to football had run its course, the team wasn't really getting better, and they wanted to turn over a new leaf and bring in more of a players coach. For the record, that's the coach profile most of us wanted at the time.

The environment around this team is causing a ton of negativity, and rightfully so, but I do think a lot of people are taking it to the extreme. We have owners with deep pockets. I don't have many doubts that they want to win, if for no other reason than it helps maximize their investment. We're, what, a few months into their ownership term? Way too early to draw conclusions without seeing how they navigate through this current situation.

I think Paton is still the right guy for the GM job for now, but he's on shakier ground because of the Russ deal + Hackett hire. As I said before, how he handles this will define his future in Denver. The idiot local shock jock radio hosts who want him fired and Peyton Manning hired as GM are the laziest type of "journalists."

• Like 6

Shocking to see another “Patriot Way” guy get fired; that tree has just had one runaway success after another, what are these owners thinking throwing these superstar GMs and HCs to the curb? 

How long for the idiocy that permeates Denver sports talk radio begin clamoring for this guy to supplant the (sure to be fired) George Paton?

56 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Shocking to see another “Patriot Way” guy get fired; that tree has just had one runaway success after another, what are these owners thinking throwing these superstar GMs and HCs to the curb? 

How long for the idiocy that permeates Denver sports talk radio begin clamoring for this guy to supplant the (sure to be fired) George Paton?

It would be a MASSIVE mistake.   This tweet sums it up - the reason why TEN is so successful is because Mike Vrabel is a legit top 3 HC - he succeeds DESPITE the failures Jon Robinson has had as a GM.  This is a HARD pass.

The timing of the firing is also a flag IMO - I mentioned this in the news thread - but why now?    The GM part of team building other than injury replacement, it's done now.   Firing him now is such weird timing.   That's something you only do if you want to change the culture he's bringing (which is a move that justifies Hackett's firing as well too, but I digress).      It really sounds like Robinson wasn't in sync with his HC...and combined with his draft struggles, man, this guy's weaknesses are exactly what Paton excels at.  

Paton apparently is safe - so long as he fires Hackett summarily, and hits the right HC hire, I'll take his draft/team building record.    It's not even a Q compared to the record above.

Edited by Broncofan