Time to bench Mariota

scar988

With the Falcons in 1st place, Smith has no option but to play the guy who he thinks gives the team the best chance at winning. I get fans like to speculate but right now, Smith feels Mariota is that guy and I have no reason to think I know more than him. Once he benches Mariota though, I'll call him a fool cause Mariota is the GOAT. 🙃

As far as speculating when we might see Ridder, I think these next three games with two coming against Carolina are crucial. Need to be at least .500 coming out. If not, we could very well see a change. I just don't understand the idea of acting like we as fans have any idea a better idea than Smith of when that time should be. 

And no getting around I'm bias here, but I've always taken the stance throughout my years of posting on this silly forum that I'll trust the front office/coaching staff until they give me reason not to. Thinking I know better than these guys would be ignorant of me. 

No doubt Ridder will start at some point this season. I'll be excited when that time comes. Hitting on a QB in the 3rd round would set this franchise up for a ton of success just like it with Seattle. 

19 hours ago, swoosh said:

With the Falcons in 1st place, Smith has no option but to play the guy who he thinks gives the team the best chance at winning. I get fans like to speculate but right now, Smith feels Mariota is that guy and I have no reason to think I know more than him. Once he benches Mariota though, I'll call him a fool cause Mariota is the GOAT. 🙃

As far as speculating when we might see Ridder, I think these next three games with two coming against Carolina are crucial. Need to be at least .500 coming out. If not, we could very well see a change. I just don't understand the idea of acting like we as fans have any idea a better idea than Smith of when that time should be. 

And no getting around I'm bias here, but I've always taken the stance throughout my years of posting on this silly forum that I'll trust the front office/coaching staff until they give me reason not to. Thinking I know better than these guys would be ignorant of me. 

No doubt Ridder will start at some point this season. I'll be excited when that time comes. Hitting on a QB in the 3rd round would set this franchise up for a ton of success just like it with Seattle. 

Wanting a change and will they make one are 2 different topics. He hasn't strung enough bad games yet and especially if we take sole control of the division no matter how he plays he won't get pulled. Awful against the Browns, meh against the Bucs, plays his absolute perfect game against the Niners (unsustainable and a skewed win with their whole D Line out) and now back to awful vs the Bengals. I just think we've seen the ceiling of our offense, I've seen enough max protect on 3rd and long because he can't get the ball out quick. Cincy layed the blueprint ... load the box and make him throw to win, we don't have the defense to try and win with the bully ball we are playing. We're in the same spot as Pittsburgh sans we've gutted out more wins that in hindsight aren't very good wins, save Seattle. Also the 3 close losses (NO, LAR, TB) are BAD teams, our record looks a lot better than it really is.

3 hours ago, DM316 said:

Wanting a change and will they make one are 2 different topics. He hasn't strung enough bad games yet and especially if we take sole control of the division no matter how he plays he won't get pulled. Awful against the Browns, meh against the Bucs, plays his absolute perfect game against the Niners (unsustainable and a skewed win with their whole D Line out) and now back to awful vs the Bengals. I just think we've seen the ceiling of our offense, I've seen enough max protect on 3rd and long because he can't get the ball out quick. Cincy layed the blueprint ... load the box and make him throw to win, we don't have the defense to try and win with the bully ball we are playing. We're in the same spot as Pittsburgh sans we've gutted out more wins that in hindsight aren't very good wins, save Seattle. Also the 3 close losses (NO, LAR, TB) are BAD teams, our record looks a lot better than it really is.

Is this thread not it's time to bench Mariota? All I'm saying is Smith hasn't given me any reason not to trust him at this point. If he thinks Ridder is the better QB, he would be playing him over Mariota. I see all the blame being thrown on Mariota, when in reality his supporting cast is not good and deserves just as much of the blame. Best WR is a rookie who is still raw. Arguably the worst WR corps in the league. Pitts and Patterson, but Patterson has been out. Pass OL who looks better than they are because of Mariota's ability to move around in the pocket. Mariota has become a scapegoat for fans, but this just isn't a very good team. Smith has them overachieving. 

I agree on the overacheiving part .... saying that, it's clear MM isn't the long term answer so why not see what we have in Ridder? You say Smith hasn't given you a reason not to trust him and clearly MM hasn't given Smith a reason to trust him throwing 13 times down double digits most of the game. 

With the potential to draft a QB in the first or say the Lamar Jackson situation gets worse why not see if Ridder is a guy? I like Mariota as a high end #2, the reality is that's his ceiling and we're sometimes winning in spite of him. Worse case for me is a Drew Lock situation .... small sample size in the rookie year, thinking you have something in year 2 to not be happy with the results. To be fair, I don't think he got a fair shake the year he started. They pretty much got all of his rookie mistakes then because he sat most of year 1. I'd hate to be in that boat.

10 hours ago, DM316 said:

I agree on the overacheiving part .... saying that, it's clear MM isn't the long term answer so why not see what we have in Ridder? You say Smith hasn't given you a reason not to trust him and clearly MM hasn't given Smith a reason to trust him throwing 13 times down double digits most of the game. 

Easy. Cause we're in first place and Mariota gives the Falcons the best chance to win. I agree Mariota isn't the long term answer but that doesn't mean the time is now for Ridder. 

2 hours ago, DM316 said:

Your cream dream game. Thanks for the reponse after the game because you, yourself were unsure 😂. Literally tried to throw it away in OT. I’m talking ish but not serious BTW. The Hyde game is next week … watch.

I haven’t wavered all year. Wouldn’t be now. Falcons fans love a scapegoat. Try the defense on for size, it’s been pathetic. 

On 10/30/2022 at 10:18 PM, swoosh said:

I haven’t wavered all year. Wouldn’t be now. Falcons fans love a scapegoat. Try the defense on for size, it’s been pathetic. 

The Defense had no expectations. You want to be picky with your replies, so I’ll do the same. 7 years later still slow in progressions and gets sacked to put them out of FG range. Cupboard isn’t bare on weapons, he needs college level reads (open open). The team has a direction and I like it but you’re jaded if you think being a try hard team that squeaks into the playoffs to get demolished by Dallas or Philly is more important than solving the most crucial position. 

32 minutes ago, DM316 said:

The Defense had no expectations. You want to be picky with your replies, so I’ll do the same. 7 years later still slow in progressions and gets sacked to put them out of FG range. Cupboard isn’t bare on weapons, he needs college level reads (open open). The team has a direction and I like it but you’re jaded if you think being a try hard team that squeaks into the playoffs to get demolished by Dallas or Philly is more important than solving the most crucial position. 

I'm not being picky with my replies. I've had to defend it all year. When Smith thinks it's time to start Ridder, the swap will come. Simple as that. Until then, let's try to stop obsessing over Mariota. It's overplayed and unnecessary when we should be enjoying the fact that we're in 1st place. Yes, we're not winning the Super Bowl this year, it doesn't mean you play inferior players when the playoffs are in reach. If/when we fall out of the playoff race, I'm sure Ridder will get PT. 

If you want to keep talking about Mariota, be my guest. I'll happily step aside. 

And you chose to defend it. Something to be said for sinking consecutive top 10 picks into weapons to be decoys. Next you’ll blame scheme and playcalling, that all leads back into trust in the QB. Another day another sub 200 yards passing. At least no turnovers today buddy.

1 hour ago, DM316 said:

And you chose to defend it. Something to be said for sinking consecutive top 10 picks into weapons to be decoys. Next you’ll blame scheme and playcalling, that all leads back into trust in the QB. Another day another sub 200 yards passing. At least no turnovers today buddy.

I'm defending it not being the time to put in Ridder. I'm defending Smith's decision to keep him in. When Smith pulls Mariota for Ridder, I'll defend that too.

Mariota is by no means perfect. He is what we all thought he was. Nothing more, nothing less. Certainly not the guy to lead this franchise long term, but a capable stop gap for a team who is lacking talent across the board. That miss bomb to Pitts was costly today. At the same time, he isn't the only one to blame today like most weeks. That's the issue here, fans obsessing over him and only him. No mention of London's fumble. No mention of Koo's missed FG. I get it, he's the QB so gets a lot of the focus but some fans are actively rooting against him. The week after the SF game, this forum was quiet. It's weird.