Time to bench Mariota

scar988

No one is saying mistakes don’t happen. Again, you’re picking other issues vs a bigger one. You are whiny and unrealistic “Falcons fans always want a scapegoat” …. How is there a scapegoat in a win? High quality win like say Cleveland? Or maybe the Niners down 10 starters. Get real. You pushed that narrative to begin with and you only look bright every 3rd week.

22 minutes ago, DM316 said:

No one is saying mistakes don’t happen. Again, you’re picking other issues vs a bigger one. You are whiny and unrealistic “Falcons fans always want a scapegoat” …. How is there a scapegoat in a win? High quality win like say Cleveland? Or maybe the Niners down 10 starters. Get real. You pushed that narrative to begin with and you only look bright every 3rd week.

I pushed the narrative? I didn't start this thread. Look, literally all of your posts this season have been about Mariota. Pretty sure you even commented once saying we should let Mariota take the beating one week and then let Ridder start the next. Clearly this is going nowhere. I'm not going to get into the petty "you are whiny" back and forth. I'll step aside and utilize the ignore feature. It's all good man, we're all Falcons fans here. All three of us. Let's get it, Mariota or Ridder. 

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2022/11/07/falcons-marcus-mariota-week-9/

It really is amazing how well we've ran the ball with ZERO threat over 15 yards. Here goes another "does enough to not get pulled" game on Primetime. As said before, as far as mistakes good QB play can make up for a lot being the guy that touches the ball the most. Missed FG, London strip, Graham fumble .... all of that is irrelevant if Pitts isn't overthrown.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Arthur Smith seems pretty damn committed to playing Mariota. 

Don't think we see Ridder until the Falcons are officially out of it. I can understand fans thinking we're out of it now in the sense the whole team looks awful and even if we find a way to make the playoffs we'll just be bounced early, but that's not how coaches operate. Arthur Smith is playing who he believes gives them the best chance to win. Simple as that. Smith sees Mariota and Ridder every day in practice so I'm inclined to think he knows a little more than me. I'm not going to question him until he gives me a reason to believe he's incompetent. Speaking of which, I like where Smith has this team right now. He hasn't been perfect, but generally speaking the team is outperforming what the talent on the roster would suggest. He was dealt a tough hand with our cap situation and is making the most of it. I fully support Smith's decision to keep Mariota in there and will fully support his decision once Ridder is named the starter. 

Mariota was awful on Thursday night. Straight awful. At the same time, so was the whole offense. Most bad snaps I've ever seen in a game. Pressure non stop. Drops by WRs. Little separation. Wouldn't expect any QB to look good, especially not a 3rd round rookie. Don't have any issues with Mariota being called out by fans. He absolutely should be based on his play. I have issues with him being the only one called out and talked about. It's ignorant and makes them look they don't understand football at a baseline level. Wouldn't expect anything different from a fan base that didn't appreciate Matt Ryan though. Not signaling anyone out here because there are only a few Falcons fans posters on this forum and even fewer that post in here, but the Falcons fan base as a whole has to be one of the least intelligent group of fans in sports. More of a knock to the cesspool that is the official Falcons forum, a place I've refused to ever join but keep regular tabs on it for entertainment purposes. You have people more concerned with things like Ryan fans vs Non-Ryan fans and Mariota supporters vs Non-Mariota supporters than the actual team. It's weird, man. Really weird. Nice to see an outsider around these parts though. 

Oh trust me swoosh, I'm ripping a lot of players on twitter down by down. Dalman and the LG position need to be fixed. Would love to see more from the WRs, but the QB can't get it to them. Pitts hasn't been perfect, but Mariota has to be driving him crazy with his completely inaccurate passing to him.

On 11/15/2022 at 2:04 PM, swoosh said:

Don't think we see Ridder until the Falcons are officially out of it. I can understand fans thinking we're out of it now in the sense the whole team looks awful and even if we find a way to make the playoffs we'll just be bounced early, but that's not how coaches operate. Arthur Smith is playing who he believes gives them the best chance to win. Simple as that. Smith sees Mariota and Ridder every day in practice so I'm inclined to think he knows a little more than me. I'm not going to question him until he gives me a reason to believe he's incompetent. Speaking of which, I like where Smith has this team right now. He hasn't been perfect, but generally speaking the team is outperforming what the talent on the roster would suggest. He was dealt a tough hand with our cap situation and is making the most of it. I fully support Smith's decision to keep Mariota in there and will fully support his decision once Ridder is named the starter. 

Mariota was awful on Thursday night. Straight awful. At the same time, so was the whole offense. Most bad snaps I've ever seen in a game. Pressure non stop. Drops by WRs. Little separation. Wouldn't expect any QB to look good, especially not a 3rd round rookie. Don't have any issues with Mariota being called out by fans. He absolutely should be based on his play. I have issues with him being the only one called out and talked about. It's ignorant and makes them look they don't understand football at a baseline level. Wouldn't expect anything different from a fan base that didn't appreciate Matt Ryan though. Not signaling anyone out here because there are only a few Falcons fans posters on this forum and even fewer that post in here, but the Falcons fan base as a whole has to be one of the least intelligent group of fans in sports. More of a knock to the cesspool that is the official Falcons forum, a place I've refused to ever join but keep regular tabs on it for entertainment purposes. You have people more concerned with things like Ryan fans vs Non-Ryan fans and Mariota supporters vs Non-Mariota supporters than the actual team. It's weird, man. Really weird. Nice to see an outsider around these parts though. 

Bro … this post was made for “it’s time” not are they going to. We all knew they weren’t so I don’t get what you were arguing in the first place. This team isn’t as good as it’s record, holes everywhere and that’s not great. You’re right. Sink back to back top 10’s into weapons without solving the most important position with QB1 embarrassingly limited with what? …. 6 years and 10 games to show it? Won enough early to make it hard to pull him, even when we’ve won in spite of him multiple times and shouldn’t have. That’s all anyone is saying. Ridder could be astronomically worse but we need to find out because an upgrade at that spot changes the whole dynamic of the offense, the cupboard isn’t bare.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, swoosh said:

Arthur Smith seemed to sing a different tune with his post game answers. No longer outright shutting down talk of a QB change. I think we see Ridder get the nod against the Saints after the bye.

The timing is there, I wonder if that changes if the Saints pull out a win tonight? I hope not but it seems like that's been his MO.