Mike Gillislee

biggbrd

What happens to Gillislee from here on out?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What happens to Gillislee from here on out?

• Doesn't see the field again, healthy scratch for the rest of the year
    • Plays some weeks based on matchups
    • Returns to active roster, no more healthy scratches
    • Somebody's gonna get injured anyway, we'll be glad he's around then

Healthy scratch 2 weeks in a row, and certainly seems to be at the bottom of the depth chart currently. Do you think this persists, or is this just a matchup thing? He doesn't provide as much as a receiver as any of the other guys, but would have been thought of as a better pure runner than the rest of them to start the season I imagine. As I understand it, his dead cap is $3.5m this year, and nothing next year (not that I'm suggesting we cut him, just for interest's sake).

Combination of both.  I said it when we first signed him and I'll say it again: he's a hard running one-cut RB.  He's got good long distance speed, decent burst, and he runs hard.  But he's extremely limited in terms of agility/mobility and is limited in the passing game.

Once a combination of Cannon, Allen, Bennett, and Hogan really get rolling again, we'll probably see Gillislee start getting some touches again.  He was actually running pretty well recently but, with Allen picking up steam way too slowly, no Hogan, and Bennett battling injuries, we need Burkhead, White, + Lewis because their running style fits our mediocre run blocking better and they offer midfield threats as receivers.  

If we throw Gillislee in, opponents D's are going to load the box, which is what they'd normally do, but, we'd have little Play Action options beyond Gronk + Dola AND we're rolling with Waddle + Karras as run blockers...really not setting Gillislee up for success like that as a one cut runner.

Plus, we have Dion Lewis looking like Barry Sanders Jr. right now.

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

No idea how some people got it in their head that he was better than Burkhead. 

He's a better straight up runner than Burkhead.  But Burkhead can play ST and can catch the ball so, he's a more well rounded RB.

But if it came to having someone run at a loaded box, I'd take Gillislee over Burkhead any day.  If it comes to having someone running behind a mediocre run blocking line and we're missing one of our key downfield threats (Hogan), I'm taking Burkhead all day because he can fill in some talent gaps that we currently have with Hogan and Cannon out.  Should Gillislee be able to run behind a mediocre line and while we're missing Hogan?  Yeah he probably should but, frankly, I think we all knew what we were getting; a strong one-cut runner with good vision.  He isn't going to do anything with the environment the rest of our offense is creating right now.

24 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

Wouldn't of had this problem if they just simply re-signed Blount.

Nah I think he'd have worse production than Gillislee.  Blount is really all or nothing and our current run blocking game just isn't good enough to enable BlountMode.  

Not saying I wouldn't welcome him back with open arms.  I'll never let Blount go... :x

1 minute ago, tonyto36 said:

He ran for 3.9 YPC for us last year and is a 30 yard bruising RB.  His numbers look pretty good in Philly because of their OL.  I suspect he'd be closer to the 3.3 YPC range for us.

The Patriots wanted to start the season with more deep shots because I think they overestimated how much success Gillislee would have running.  

The past couple weeks we've gone to more of the quick passing game and our 'scat-backs' in Lewis/White/Burkhead.   Which Blount would have no part in.

Think we overestimated our run blocking and WR health moreso than overestimating Gillislee's ground game.  He's a good runner...the guy averages 3.9YPC against loaded boxes.  But we need Hogan, Edelman, or better run blocking performance to really capitalize on Gillislee's strengths.  IMO he'd be crushing it if we still had Edelman and Hogan consistently.

Part of the reason for the glut of RB signings this off-season was a host of unanswered questions.

1. Burkhead and MG were career back-ups, it was unknown if they could last a full season of wear-and-tear.

2. Lewis is always injured, relying on him to stay healthy would be stupid.

3. White has only had one decent season, he might regress terribly from last year.

Those three questions mean relying on any one of them would be foolish, by signing them all you have failsafes to guard against the unknown. There were never going to be enough snaps at RB to get everyone touches. MG is still valuable - in the event Lewis gets hurt again, he's there to stop Bolden having to play offense.

They took the same approach at WR. Deep and versatile stops an injury ruining your season, but it means you sometimes have decent talent warming the bench.

5 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

Part of the reason for the glut of RB signings this off-season was a host of unanswered questions.

1. Burkhead and MG were career back-ups, it was unknown if they could last a full season of wear-and-tear.

2. Lewis is always injured, relying on him to stay healthy would be stupid.

3. White has only had one decent season, he might regress terribly from last year.

Those three questions mean relying on any one of them would be foolish, by signing them all you have failsafes to guard against the unknown. There were never going to be enough snaps at RB to get everyone touches. MG is still valuable - in the event Lewis gets hurt again, he's there to stop Bolden having to play offense.

They took the same approach at WR. Deep and versatile stops an injury ruining your season, but it means you sometimes have decent talent warming the bench.

White's actually improved but, still way worse on the ground than Lewis or Burkhead hence decreased usage since we really need a ground threat right now.  Once Hogan is back I'll bet we see White get a lot more snaps.

Imo we have once of the better RB groups in the league.  We're just really suffering from having an injury riddled WR corp and some run blocking growing pains.

Archived