Week 12: GameDay Thread Titans (6-4) vs. Colts (3-7)

KingTitan

12 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Oh man, Gabbert hurting the Jags playoff chances one last time would be something special.

Anyways, if we lose this game, I'm warning everybody now that this place is going to be real negative. And I'm probably going to add to it.

This team needs to come out with some fire. There's no excuse for not winning these next four games and essentially locking up a playoff spot.

It would be poetic justice to see Gabbert screw the Jags again haha. He actually looked surprisingly average against the Texans.

And the Titans losing this game, barring an injury to someone, would be a massive disappointment and I can't imagine the negativity on here (I will be a part of it like I have been already lol) but I am going to try and be positive this week and believe this is a different Titans team than years past.

Titans need to take care of business no excuses Titans are the better team. Murray needs to play better but the Titans really need to find a hot hand and go with it. I post this single sequence every game and it’s Murray does little to nothing then Henry gets a carry for a first down then gets taken out for Murray for the next series of plays then by the time Henry gets back in he does nothing.

Corey Davis needs to start playing like the 5th overall pick this is a team he should get going on. 

Titans know what’s at steak here and for the world is falling type of posters on play to play guys in here the Titans do not quit and guys like Mariota Murray Walker Rak Casey Byard Woodyard won’t let it happen. 

Titans Defense should get back on track this week. 

Even I was ticked off about Thur Night but I didn’t expect the Titans to win just wanted to go down fighting but it was a short week for some reason Mularkey thought it was a smart idea to practice Tue before that game and the Titans were gassed by the 4th. Titans know they control their own destiny the next 4 games or more than winnable 

Expectations....

We had every starter on the line return. We "upgraded" the WR core. Same RBs. Only thing missing is Fasano. Again...do we need to go make him the highest paid TE in all existence because apparently he is the missing link...lol

But all those things plus all the media outlets saying we are the next best thing...It led us to believe we were in for a 12-4, 13-3 type season with Marcus in the MVP race. (Understandably so).

But we have limped all season with our offense. We haven't performed well at all for a full game. So to see the struggle is disappointing. We aren't winning like we did last year, yet we are on a better pace than last year. 
People said the toughest thing to do is to go from 9-7 to 10-6. It's a hard road to travel and hard leap to make for teams. Mentally, I think we are a better team than we were last year, but performance wise we aren't playing consistently.
I think that is because the run game isn't doing what it needs to do....
I'd think we should be able to run at will against the Colts, but I know we won't.  Teams get so amped up when they stop our run game because it has a reputation to be good. It fuels them and gives them confidence.  When truly, we just aren't that good running the ball as our reputation makes it out to be..

26 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Expectations....

We had every starter on the line return. We "upgraded" the WR core. Same RBs. Only thing missing is Fasano. Again...do we need to go make him the highest paid TE in all existence because apparently he is the missing link...lol

But all those things plus all the media outlets saying we are the next best thing...It led us to believe we were in for a 12-4, 13-3 type season with Marcus in the MVP race. (Understandably so).

But we have limped all season with our offense. We haven't performed well at all for a full game. So to see the struggle is disappointing. We aren't winning like we did last year, yet we are on a better pace than last year. 
People said the toughest thing to do is to go from 9-7 to 10-6. It's a hard road to travel and hard leap to make for teams. Mentally, I think we are a better team than we were last year, but performance wise we aren't playing consistently.
I think that is because the run game isn't doing what it needs to do....
I'd think we should be able to run at will against the Colts, but I know we won't.  Teams get so amped up when they stop our run game because it has a reputation to be good. It fuels them and gives them confidence.  When truly, we just aren't that good running the ball as our reputation makes it out to be..

What frustrating is with the running game sucking bad this year you would think this is the year Mariota lights it up all year from the pocket. Now he has happy feet I don’t know if he’s starting to get scared from the injuries he has and now is a jitter bug back there but it’s frustrating that he doesn’t put it together because if he was able to shred teams apart passing it would open up the run game. He needs to do more stepping up into the pocket ilinser pressure instead of going back and losing yards 

14 hours ago, footlunder said:

IMO, Mariota is better this year than he was last year.  He's never had good pocket awareness but it's better this season than last.  Fumbling issue is not a huge issue anymore.  My untrained eye and PFF says he's handling pressure better and our line is worse than it was last season.  And because of our scheme, he has to make high level throws into very, very tight windows, which he does.  There are no easy throws in this scheme.  He's underrated.

YupThis would also be a good example of a high level throw he has to fit into a very, very tight window, if we were to imagine it was the defensive back he had to throw the ball to over Matthews.

On 11/20/2017 at 9:36 PM, titans0021 said:

This is part of my problem. Entering his third year, how many of us wanted to be typing the words, "Mariota, prior to the Thursday debacle, wasn't playing worse than he did last year." 

I'm genuinely not trying to be super negative here, but man, you'd like to think that a second year with the same coaching staff, virtually every starter returning and theoretical upgrades at wide receiver, we wouldn't be talking about Marcus not getting significantly worse.

While I honestly believe Mariota the football player has improved (stats be dammed)... I also can't say he's been significantly better.

With the run game and online regressing as much as they have last year... As well as not having Davis for half the season so far, as well as most of the off season... Not being able to gel with Decker in the off season... And being hampered by his own hammy for multiple weeks...I can recognize that the possibility exists that a combo of some or all of that has contributed to the struggles on offense. The offense is finally all healthy and now have 4 games where they can right themselves as an offense. These next 4 opponents give up between 26 and 28 ppg each... No reason why we shouldn't score at least 26 in at least 3 of those games.

Honestly think I (and many others) underestimated Mariota having to rehab most of the spring/summer instead of focusing strictly on his weaknesses. A young QB losing an offseason to rehab is pretty big and something I honestly just brushed off.

Having said that, I think he's going to turn things around for these last 6 (regular season) games. 

30 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Honestly think I (and many others) underestimated Mariota having to rehab most of the spring/summer instead of focusing strictly on his weaknesses. A young QB losing an offseason to rehab is pretty big and something I honestly just brushed off.

Having said that, I think he's going to turn things around for these last 6 (regular season) games. 

I don’t underestimate it but the things he’s doing wrong now I don’t believe are related to him not rehabbing all spring. He’s starting to feel the pressure which you can’t really practice because guys arnt coming at you to take you out in the spring. He’s running backwards a lot now when feeling the pressure.

Granted the foot work is something he could of definitely worked on.

Whats frustrating with him and Robiskie is they script the first drive of a game really well more times than not. We use to say this about another QB a lot I forget was it Locker? There a times Mariota looks great to start the game and they are up tempo just a little bit and he’s feeling it then Robiskies play calling let’s off the gas just a little bit and then Mariota let’s off the gas and then we can’t run and Mariota struggles to get back into a rhythm then Mariota takes a bad shot it seems and forces a ball into double and triple coverages and throws a bad pick and helps let teams hang around.

Its been pointed out before in here and I’ll reiterate it and why do the Titans not attack a defenses weakness? When teams see Bryce McCain on anyone especially Hopkins teams are going after McCain. When the Titans have an opportunity to shred a defense like Week 1 vs Oakland the Titans don’t do it well. Year after year we seen when the Titans Defense was extremely bad we seen Sanchez shred us in Philly we seen Eli shred us here. Teams never let up against us when we were bad teams came in and chucked it all over the yard on us and I wish when a team we play has a weakness like this week for instance I want to see the Titans exploit it.

One other question I have about Mariota is he feeling the pressure to get guys involved? I was happy with the Decker signing but honestly the guy seems like a ****** at times. He doesn’t really talk to the media much from what PK and Hutton have said in the past plus his wife was tweeting up a storm weeks ago. When Decker was starting I felt like a lot of a Red Zone targets did go to him but it was mostly bad play designs and Mariota forcing up in the back of the end zone. Now Davis is back and as much as I want him involved more there are times he’s just not open and Mariota goes his way so part of me wonders is Mariota putting too much pressure on himself to get guys involved? Last year there was no pressure Wright wasn’t a guy the coaches cared to get involved at times Matthews was benched almost to start the season for AJ. Last year was pretty simple for Mariota he sprayed the ball around to everyone and look comfortable doing so then Matthews emerged as a great weapon Delanie was Delanie and Murray was a weapon out the back field which we really don’t have a weapon out the back field anymore but I’m curious to your thoughts

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

The entire team practiced in full today. Which, in Week 12 of an NFL season, is borderline unbelievable. 

It's the 2nd straight year where we're arguably(though I assume unarguably this year) the healthiest team in football this late in the year. I even read some people theorizing that we'd potentially be worse this year just because we simply couldn't stay as healthy as we did last year, as it's such a rare thing in the NFL where we lost no one important last year for the season. Guys like Delanie and Casey missed a game, and Spain had the 4 missed games to injury, but that was a serious as it got.

Training staff and strength/conditioning staff are earning their paychecks.

Archived