Expectations for Jared Goff

CWood21

Obviously, Jared Goff's career got off to a rather rough start with the whole "he won't be our starting QB, he will be our starting QB" crap that Jeff Fisher put him through.  Now that Fisher has been shown the door, and the Rams have brought in a head coach who should be more QB friendly with a history on the offensive side of the ball but what are realistic expectations for Jared Goff @holt_bruce81 @chris00cm @StLunatic88 @jrry32?

I'm still very high on Goff and am high on McVay, so my predictions are going to be optimistic. Personally, I'd say 2016 Matt Stafford in terms of numbers but with less volume maybe. As for past this year, I still see Goff being a franchise QB who will lead the Rams to the promise land.

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm still very high on Goff and am high on McVay, so my predictions are going to be optimistic. Personally, I'd say 2016 Matt Stafford in terms of numbers but with less volume maybe. As for past this year, I still see Goff being a franchise QB who will lead the Rams to the promise land.

That's pretty lofty expectations especially given that Stafford is coming off arguably his best season as a professional, and that was without having Calvin Johnson as a security blanket.  The one concern I do have is the supporting cast around Goff, in particular his receiving options.  Robert Woods signed a 5 year, $39M deal this offseason but as a Bill he never looked more than a #2 receiver on a good day.  And Tavon Austin never really took off like I think the Rams had hoped he would, and probably is relegated to the slot/utility WR role.  I know you were high on Cooper Kupp coming out of Eastern Washington, but do you think he's going to help alleviate those concerns?  I'm a bit leery about a rookie WR stepping up into a role the Rams probably need him to be.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

That's pretty lofty expectations especially given that Stafford is coming off arguably his best season as a professional, and that was without having Calvin Johnson as a security blanket.  The one concern I do have is the supporting cast around Goff, in particular his receiving options.  Robert Woods signed a 5 year, $39M deal this offseason but as a Bill he never looked more than a #2 receiver on a good day.  And Tavon Austin never really took off like I think the Rams had hoped he would, and probably is relegated to the slot/utility WR role.  I know you were high on Cooper Kupp coming out of Eastern Washington, but do you think he's going to help alleviate those concerns?  I'm a bit leery about a rookie WR stepping up into a role the Rams probably need him to be.

I don't know. The receivers are a mystery. But when you look at the sort of production McVay got out there in Washington, it gives me a lot of confidence in his ability to do big things here. 

As for Kupp, rookie WRs are always a question, but I do have high expectations for him as a rookie. Kupp's understanding of the game and skill level are already beyond that of many veteran WRs. Woods has a strong argument for being not properly utilized in Buffalo, so I'm hoping for the best. Beyond those guys, I'm just hoping someone else steps up.

So yea, the WRs/TEs could hold the team back, but I have much more confidence in those guys than I did in the past because we have proven and legitimate NFL coaches on offense. We actually have guys who understand how to put a player in a position to succeed on that side of the ball.

As for Austin, he's not a slot WR in this offense based on what the coaches are saying. The plan right now is for him to play the DeSean Jackson role (more of a flanker). Austin has never made a lot of sense as a slot WR in the NFL.

On the topic of Stafford, it was his third best season if we're going by the numbers. My comparison was more focused on the numbers, but as I said, it's optimistic. I think McVay's system lends itself to a high completion percentage and a decent YPA. We'll see if Goff can keep the turnovers down.

I want to be proven wrong. The receiving "talent" acquired in the off-season is less than desirable. I'm banking on the impressive coaching staff and improvement among the offensive line to lead to improvements in Goff's game.

Thanks for posting in the team forum.  We need members to get back in the habit of posting in team forums.  I will be liking posts of members that are trying to increase forum activity.  

We are really hoping to revive some of the less active team forums with this software update.  But we need everyone's help.   Members need to try and get back in the habit of starting new topics in their team forums instead of just posting everything in one huge general topic that now dominate a lot of forums.   The average member doesn't have time to follow 100 pages of 'Off-season' or 'draft' talk.  They ignore these topics and when they don't find any other interesting active topics in the forum, they leave.  I'm hoping the new forum update will bring back the forum activity, but if all we do is post in a handful of huge general topics,  the average member won't return.   

Use some of the new features to help.  Call Rams members into a discussion you start by using the @mention feature.   Follow the forum to quickly know when a new topic is started.   Use the notifications so you can find out when someone quotes you or replies to a topic you started.    Like posts that are top quality to encourage more members to post quality.  

From an outside perspective, the book certainly doesn't seem closed yet, but he looks to be a bust to this point in time. Sure he didn't have the greatest supporting cast but he just feels as if he doesn't have the right mindset.

9 hours ago, Danger said:

From an outside perspective, the book certainly doesn't seem closed yet, but he looks to be a bust to this point in time. Sure he didn't have the greatest supporting cast but he just feels as if he doesn't have the right mindset.

Obviously, it's too early too write him off especially given the terrible situation he was thrown into with the coaching situation and the lackluster receiving weapons around him.  Given a full offseason to work with McVay, who like @jrry32, am high on to pair with Goff.  Any thoughts @StLunatic88 @holt_bruce81 @chris00cm?

On 7/23/2017 at 5:23 PM, jrry32 said:

I don't know. The receivers are a mystery. But when you look at the sort of production McVay got out there in Washington, it gives me a lot of confidence in his ability to do big things here. 

That's probably the biggest reason for optimism for me.  Let's not pretend like he's got a huge stable of weapons at WR or TE, but I think Robert Woods is a very solid #2 WR, I think Tavon Austin can do some interesting things, and I think Tyler Higbee still has quite a bit of untapped potential.  If Cooper Kupp can outplay himself as a rookie, that'd do wonders for Goff's production.

I think the biggest thing for Goff will be the coaching change. I haven't been impressed by Jeff Fisher in over a decade. He's going to have someone who wants success as badly as he does. Seems like thats what breeds these quality QBs right now.

In NFL General there is a thread asking for predictions of which players will have a career year and I went with Tavon Austin.  Part of the reason I did so is because of Jared Goff.  I studied Goff a lot when he played at Cal and I really like him as a player.  The coaching change will also be a significant boost to the offense.  I am really excited for Jared Goff and am looking forward to watching him grow over the next decade +

Honestly I feel like last season is completely scrapped. There was barely an offense in place, the Oline was bad and it just seemed like the culture/atmosphere was crappy, like we're just here to hang out and get paid.

I think this season is going to be almost like a true Rookie Season. Its a new offense with new coaches, and he wasnt given much in the way of things to learn last year anyway.

I expect to see a few more flashes of brilliance (like the one we saw against the saints) but still some games where good veteran defenses still cause him issues. Those ups and downs are fine, as long as in the end we feel good about him going into 2018.

I would expect his completion percentage to be way up (his accuracy is what I like most about him on NFL throws in college) because guys who drop passes will be phased out of the offense. I would expect maybe a lower yardage total, but higher TD total due to the dependence on the TEs and using the middle of the field (dont have a proven big outside threat) and we will be leaning on the OL and Running game to move the ball as well.

I know jrry is excited, I am too, but I have tempered my total outcome expectations for the year. But I expect we will feel the same about him at the end of the year. Happy is is our trigger man, and one Weapon away from feeling very dangerous next year.

On 7/25/2017 at 11:47 AM, Danger said:

I am a little confused by what you mean with "mindset." Can you elaborate?

It's just a surprising critique for me considering how Goff has handled everything. He comes off to me as a kid with a great head on his shoulders who is trying desperately to be the leader this team needs.

13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I am a little confused by what you mean with "mindset." Can you elaborate?

It's just a surprising critique for me considering how Goff has handled everything. He comes off to me as a kid with a great head on his shoulders who is trying desperately to be the leader this team needs.

I agree with your assessment.  The easy way out for Jared Goff would have been to blame everyone else.  Poor coaching staff, offensive line was horrible and receivers were dropping more than their fair share of passes; however, Goff did none of that.  He seems to always focus on what he can do to improve and wants to establish himself as a team leader.

On 7/25/2017 at 8:47 AM, Danger said:

I'll be real here, I think it's utterly absurd to use that term to refer to any player who has only been in the league one year.  And "absurd" is me being nice.  In order for a player to be "a bust" they actually have to have had opportunity and squandered it with some level of consistency.

If Dak hadn't had the season he had - in which he fell into about the most ideal situation imaginable for a rookie QB - I doubt people are nearly as hard on Goff as many are being, save for those that are looking for a reason to tear him down (i.e. coming in with a preconceived notion and view his performances through a lens tinted by that).  

I'd always viewed Goff as more a Matt Ryan than an Aaron Rodgers, and it took Ryan 2 seasons (and to his second OC) before he actually turned a corner and it was noteworthy in his week-to-week performance.

Archived