Expectations for Jared Goff

CWood21

• 3 weeks later...

yeah? 3 int yesterday plus a bunch of shoulda-ones and today again a couple ones plus muffed snaps.

so we are back to that stuff again with him i guess.

it looks like we are going backwards now at least.

would like to now who said he looked good this week, because i'm following every beat guy on twitter.

2 hours ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

yeah? 3 int yesterday plus a bunch of shoulda-ones and today again a couple ones plus muffed snaps.

would like to now who said he looked good this week, because i'm following every beat guy on twitter.

In the words of Iverson, "we talking about practice. Not a game, not a game, practice". Goff in the 1st preseason game looked good with his 4 throws. Should've been prefect if Woods didn't drop the ball. So in practice we don't know why Goff struggled. From what I heard he was faced with unscripted situations. Like he only had 7 starts and this is his 2nd offseason and 1st offseason in a new offense with new weapons in which the best weapon just started to really practice in Watkins. 

What im saying is let the young guy learn. It would've been different had he been Bortles in his 4th season and throwing 5 ints in practice. Bortles been in the league for enough time where he shouldn't be making rookie mistakes. Goff is essentially a rookie because he doesn't even have a full season of games under his belt. And the way Fisher handled the situation isn't enough for him to learn from the sidelines to get experience. I'm sure Goff learned more from McVay, LaFleur, and Olson the few months they been there than he learned all last season from Fisher and his joke of a offensive coordinator and QB coach.

My prediction for Goff is to make improvements from last season to this season. How big of an improvement? Idk. All I know is the oline is improved, Gurley will bounce back, the weapons around Goff is better, the system and coaching is better to help him and the offense, and the defense and special teams should be elite. So all is there for Goff to succeed and  I think he will starting this season maybe not big stats this season but he will do enough to help put the Rams in position to win games. Those who say he didn't show flashes need to go back and watch that 1st half of the Saints game in that loud dome. First start on the road and he did something no QB did against NO the entire season up until that point and that's pass for 3 tds in the 1st half against them. So I'm excited to see what Goff can do moving forward. 

Even with all of his new weapons, I'm not expecting a monumental leap, but he should improve a decent amount. Last year was worst case scenario for him and as long as he can get Mcvay's offense down, he should be fine. 

The right side of the offensive line is still questionable though.

12 hours ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

People at practice watching him. Yes Alden Gonzalez said he had two ints yesterday. He also threw 6 or 7 touchdowns. I guess if you pick and choose what to read you can find only bad. 

We are seriously going to try and pick apart and analyze training camp practice performances via tweets buy guys who are watching only parts of said practices???

Sorry, I'll reserve my judgement for actual in game snaps that I can see with my own eyes. His only preseason drive at this point was fine, nothing great, nothing bad. And thats all that even counts at this time.

Again you pick out only the negative and ignore the positive. One guy on another forum stood next to Alden as Goff threw a long TD. He looked over after and asked if Alden would report this and he said no he just threw a pick. Alden is garbage, the last count I had on reports was 5 TD and 2 Ints. You wouldn't know he completed anything though if all you follow is this espn hack.

It's training camp and Goff is trying to learn a new offense, I would expect him to have his ups and downs during Camp. I really don't understand how quite a few people (rams fans, nfl fans and the media in general) have already declared Goff a bust. The situation he was put in last year was incredibly bad. Fisher was incapable of developing him into a NFL QB with his 1995 offense. All you can do is hope the game continues to slow down for him and he's got good study habits. Because he's got the physical tools to sling it in this league. 

25+ TD

12 INT

3200+ yards

If we see that, I will feel very comfortable with him being our QB of the future and will eat crow on everything I said when we drafted him. McVay's hiring has given me more faith in him vs his brief time under Fisher.

4 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

It's training camp and Goff is trying to learn a new offense, I would expect him to have his ups and downs during Camp. I really don't understand how quite a few people (rams fans, nfl fans and the media in general) have already declared Goff a bust. The situation he was put in last year was incredibly bad. Fisher was incapable of developing him into a NFL QB with his 1995 offense. All you can do is hope the game continues to slow down for him and he's got good study habits. Because he's got the physical tools to sling it in this league. 

That's because the media darling is Carson Wentz and typically where the media goes the fans usually follows. Case study: Collin Kaepernick. When he was on top of the world briefly, the media was annoiting as the best QB. The fans followed. Now he is irrelevant in terms of being a good QB the media isn't annoiting him anymore and the fans aren't either. Another case study is: Kirk Cousins. He had good value as soon as he was drafted and RG3 was the guy in Washington. He came in briefly in spot starts and showed flashes from 2012-2013. When he was the starter in 2014 he sucked and his value plummeted. The media and the fans basically bashed Cousins. In 2015 Cousins played great and in 2016 he played even better. Now his value is essentially a bigger contract than Carr got and the media and fans are calling him a very good QB and the Redskins would be dumb to let walk.

So with Goff it's the media speaking and the majority of the fans follow. Once Goff prove them wrong and the media starts speaking well about him, the fans will follow and also speak well about him too.  As of now though the media darling is Wentz and it didn't help that Goff struggled under terrible circumstances.

Archived