Expectations for Jared Goff

CWood21

Nothing to knock, kid looked good. Makes you wonder how legit the performance was though. OAK is not good defensively and pre season is generally vanilla coverages and schemes. I think once Sammy gets the playbook down it will keep the safety out of the box for Gurley, making shorter 3rd downs to convert on. The play action looked very very good. A lot to be excited about, but still too early for me to believe 100%. I'm like 80% convinced lol

6 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Nothing to knock, kid looked good. Makes you wonder how legit the performance was though. OAK is not good defensively and pre season is generally vanilla coverages and schemes. I think once Sammy gets the playbook down it will keep the safety out of the box for Gurley, making shorter 3rd downs to convert on. The play action looked very very good. A lot to be excited about, but still too early for me to believe 100%. I'm like 80% convinced lol

People are really starting to harp on this now, and I am not buying it. I know they arent great (this isnt the Broncos D or anything) but they were seen as good enough that the Raiders are considered as Super Bowl contenders.

And its not like Goff just had a decent drive, He made the Raiders starters look Silly. It should have been an even better performance if Sammy can pull that one in like he should have.

Im not saying we are all set, and there is nothing to worry about or anything like that. But just like we saw with the first half of the Saints game last year, this is one of those impressive flashes many of us are really excited about.

Can't read too much in the preseason but the question is, do Goff and the offense in general pass the eye test?

Every year in the preseason there are players and/or teams that you see and come away saying "they are gonna be bad" or "they are gonna be good". To me Goff and the Rams offense I come away saying "they are gonna be good". I just read a pro football focus article saying Kupp through the first 2 preseason games is the best WR in terms of rating from the QB throwing him the ball. I think he has like 143.3 WR rating. Not only that but he ranks 2nd among receivers in the preseason with 3.18yds per route ran. Last season in college he averaged 3.32yds per route ran.

My point is with guys like Kupp and now Watkins and Gurley ran very well, Goff is poised to take that step and it could be bigger than we think. Even a guy like Everett who has shown his ability to get that yards after the catch which he was being build as his best quality as a prospect. He could take a 10yd catch and turn it into a 24yd gain. That helps Goff out a lot. So we definitely have a lot to be excited about. We have yet to see Tavon out there so where he was the #1 passing threat, now he is at best 3rd which is dangerous because defenses still have to respect his speed and playmaking abilities with the ball in his hands on any given play. That's scary to think defenses have so many players to worry about that they will forget about Tavon and that's when McVay calls a play and Tavon hits a homerun backbreaker. That's one reason why I don't want Tavon to go. He is much valuable now the Rams have more playmakers and a better and more creative player caller on offense. 

Goff certainly looked quite impressive throughout his first two games--more importantly, the second game where he saw a much extended snap count.

I wasn't ready to call Goff a bust after his first season. I'm not ready to crown him king either yet. His game performance so far definitely inspires confidence, but I'd like to see him do it consistently in the next few weeks, as well as first few regular season games before I can exhale and feel comfortable.

But, man, it sure did feel good witnessing him play the way he did.

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

FF now has an ignore button. I'm ignoring him on two sites now. No regrets. xD

How do I ignore him? 

That is easily going to be my favorite feature with this new layout. Troll spray ftw.

Nevermind. Figured it out. Too easy. :ph34r:

Archived