Expectations for Jared Goff

CWood21

6 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:

How do I ignore him? 

That is easily going to be my favorite feature with this new layout. Troll spray ftw.

There are two ways. You can scroll your cursor to his username next to his post (top left of his post), wait for the preview to pop up, and then hit "ignore user" (bottom middle of the preview).

You can also go to your username at the top right corner of the page, click it, and then choose "ignored users" from the drop-down menu and add his username into the box. From there, just click what you want to ignore (posts, messages, etc.).

14 hours ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

one quarter against an awful defense....

but against the chargers he looks like...yeah, the old.

guy is a bust. peroid.

Well i can't say he's a bust but i agree with you. He looked awful yesterday. 

Again, it's very surprising nobody is worried about Goff. I remember last year, people said the same thing 'It's just PS game, keep cool, he will be better when real game will start" and we saw what happened.... 

People will say, last week he lit up the Raiders but even this game, i wasn't sold on Goff. And with his performance yesterday, well my mind didn't change. I really wonder if his level is better and if there is progression in his game. Too long to read the defense and even he had time to throw, it seems like he's waiting for the WR to be open and throw. 

Mannion on the other side, is not outplaying him by much but i saw a couple of quick pass, and he seems to throw by anticipation and let the WR play. See his completion with Reynolds yesterday and last week, that's the kind of pass i really like and that i didn't see with Goff. 

Much like what the coaches were looking for, I wanted to see some consistency out of Goff. I was ready to crown him king after last week and I'm not going to label him bust after this week. But the lack of back to back inspiring games is cause for concern. The fumble didn't bother me as much, though I know he'll eat the blame for it. The interception was worrisome. It was a bad throw and by a wide margin. Sure it may have slipped out of his hand coming out, but that shouldn't be happening as a professional QB. Again, I'm not in panic mode but I'm not at the point where I can say: yes, I'm comfortable or happy with Jared God being our starter. 

I would have liked them to have given him another series though, especially after the last possession consisting of pretty much only running plays. I would have liked to have given him the opportunity to end on a higher note, especially considering that this game is widely known as the "dress rehearsal."

7 hours ago, Flounch said:

Well i can't say he's a bust but i agree with you. He looked awful yesterday. 

Again, it's very surprising nobody is worried about Goff. I remember last year, people said the same thing 'It's just PS game, keep cool, he will be better when real game will start" and we saw what happened.... 

People will say, last week he lit up the Raiders but even this game, i wasn't sold on Goff. And with his performance yesterday, well my mind didn't change. I really wonder if his level is better and if there is progression in his game. Too long to read the defense and even he had time to throw, it seems like he's waiting for the WR to be open and throw. 

Mannion on the other side, is not outplaying him by much but i saw a couple of quick pass, and he seems to throw by anticipation and let the WR play. See his completion with Reynolds yesterday and last week, that's the kind of pass i really like and that i didn't see with Goff. 

I'm not worried about him. That isnt to say I am convinced he is going to be great. All it means is I can wait a year or two before I am going to start worrying (or not worrying). Development takes time. 

Just saying that's where I am coming from. Why I, personally, dont seem worried. I'm not. If he is really struggling at the end of this year, I will be worried.

Hum, personnally, i can't wait 2 years for his developement. Next year, there would be 3-4 QB worth taking in the first round draft and after that nothing...

He had a disastrous year with Fisher, i can't blame him for that because that was on Fisher not on him. But if the first 6 game, we can't see improvement on Goff, it may be time to move on something else. He has no excuse, weapons are here, OC is there, Ol may be weak but not like last year. He don't have to perform like an HOF but he has to take things in hands. 

4 hours ago, Flounch said:

Hum, personnally, i can't wait 2 years for his developement. Next year, there would be 3-4 QB worth taking in the first round draft and after that nothing...

He had a disastrous year with Fisher, i can't blame him for that because that was on Fisher not on him. But if the first 6 game, we can't see improvement on Goff, it may be time to move on something else. He has no excuse, weapons are here, OC is there, Ol may be weak but not like last year. He don't have to perform like an HOF but he has to take things in hands. 

The guy is 22 years old, if it werent for the Browns forcing Kiser into starting, Goff would be the Youngest starter in the league. This isnt some magic switch, there is a progression to player growth.

5 hours ago, Flounch said:

Oh, I mean 2 years from when he was drafted. Not two years from now, lol. If he looks bad by the end of this year I am going to be really worried. If he looks like a guy who has improved, but is still trying to master the game I will be okay. If he looks lost and is making tons of mistakes, I will be pretty bummed.

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

The guy is 22 years old, if it werent for the Browns forcing Kiser into starting, Goff would be the Youngest starter in the league. This isnt some magic switch, there is a progression to player growth.

Yeah, you just have to let it play out. I understand why fans have a tendency to demand results fairly quickly. But we have to remember that some amazing HoF QBs have started their careers struggling. Especially if they were on bad offenses, which top prospects tend to do. Steve Young looked horrid as a Buccaneer. John Elway was lost as a Bronco. Trow Aikman was putrid as a Cowboy.

Hell, Peyton Manning went 3-13, completed 57% of his passes, and threw more interceptions than TDs in his first season. He was one of the most pro ready QBs the league had seen to that date. Plus he had Marshall Faulk and Marvin Harrison in the huddle with him. He started out looking like poo and ended his career as one of the all time greats.

You just have to be patient and let it play out. Dont panic. Dont chew all your fingernails off. Its kinda like the serenity prayer. Just accept that youre along for the ride and see where it takes us. At the end of 2 years, you should have a decent idea of what you have. Not necessarily a pro bowler. Just looking for steady improvement.

I will say this, get used to the games where Goff shines (with Kupp) and the games Goff struggles a bit if not alot (without Kupp). I know it was a very small sample, but its not a coincidence that in the 2 games with Kupp, Goff looked solid to very sharp. The game without Kupp, Goff looked somewhat shaky. Like Im not saying not having Kupp wouldve changed Goff throwing that interception, but on that strip sack fumble, Goff held the ball a good bit. If Kupp was playing, maybe Goff finds him quickly just because Kupp gets open fast and pretty much bails his QB out. If you dont believe me, go look at some of his college tapes and how he literally bails his QB out when the QB seems to be in some trouble. So its no different than Brady who you can see the difference in his play with Edelman as opposed to without Edelman. Also the same can be said that Rodgers is impacted a bit when he doesnt have Jordy.

All in all, Im not going to overreact on 2 plays because Goff did do some nice things before those plays happened. The best part is that he has McVay, LaFleur, and Olson to help his development process. Im not one of those fans who looks for a QB to step in day one and be elite. I guess fans are spoiled because we see Luck and Dak come in and do it day one. For the most part it takes 3-4 years for a QB to finally get it. It took Cousins 3 years to finally be the QB he is today. Even in 2014 when McVay became the OC, Cousins and the Redskins offense struggled. It took a full year before Cousins and the Redskins offense thrived in McVay offense. It took Brees 3 full years to get it. The Chargers actually traded for Rivers because they wasnt sure Brees would ever be that QB they had hoped for. That 4th season, Brees had a pro bowl year and nearly took the Chargers to the playoffs while a rookie Rivers watched from the sidelines. So like its about being patient but I trust the coaching staff and what they are going to do for Goff and what they have already have done for him and this offense in general. We will see alot of good this season but dont freak out when we see the bad too. We have to put everything into perspective and just enjoy the growth of this team.

On 8/27/2017 at 8:37 AM, Flounch said:

See his completion with Reynolds yesterday

You mean play where Reynolds semi-torched a CB who isn't even going to make the Chargers roster and probably not even practice squad, who Reynolds had 5"+ on?  That completion... the one I was sitting 6 rows back from the end zone it was completed in, so I had a really good view of the play the entire way?

Goff looked better (not great, but not nearly as bad as you're making him out to be) in person than I'm sure he did on TV, because TV wouldn't have been showing the angles of what he was seeing.

On 8/28/2017 at 10:32 AM, Flounch said:

Thank God you don't head an NFL front office, then.  You'd end up unemployed awfully quick.

Also, I know this is practically a meme at this point, but the scope/depth of next year's QB class is overrated.

If Goff doesn't pan out, we have a HC who has shown as an OC and QB coach he can work with the kind of accurate-but-not-toolsy QB types to the end result of a playoff berth from a competitive division.  If we had a Top 5 pick and passed on someone like Arden Key because "Goff didn't show enough in his first 6 games of his second season (1st in a new - and actually modern - system)," I'd legitimately projectile vomit.

20 hours ago, The LBC said:

You mean play where Reynolds semi-torched a CB who isn't even going to make the Chargers roster and probably not even practice squad, who Reynolds had 5"+ on?  That completion... the one I was sitting 6 rows back from the end zone it was completed in, so I had a really good view of the play the entire way?

Goff looked better (not great, but not nearly as bad as you're making him out to be) in person than I'm sure he did on TV, because TV wouldn't have been showing the angles of what he was seeing.

He threw pass against the Chargers practice squad and so what ? Mannion and Reynolds are also practice squad so the level is the same. Id on't see why you are downgrading Mannion performance because he played against non starter and with non starter. 

If you say Goff looked great in the preseason, well that's your opinion. And if with what you see, you can be confident he will perform well into the regular season, well you are very smart. 

20 hours ago, The LBC said:

Thank God you don't head an NFL front office, then.  You'd end up unemployed awfully quick.

Also, I know this is practically a meme at this point, but the scope/depth of next year's QB class is overrated.

If Goff doesn't pan out, we have a HC who has shown as an OC and QB coach he can work with the kind of accurate-but-not-toolsy QB types to the end result of a playoff berth from a competitive division.  If we had a Top 5 pick and passed on someone like Arden Key because "Goff didn't show enough in his first 6 games of his second season (1st in a new - and actually modern - system)," I'd legitimately projectile vomit.

Project vomit all you want. But if Goff performance isn't good at the end of the season, i can't see why thinking of drafting another QB is a bad idea. The next year QB class is only overrated by people who said that every year. 

But right now, we just have to wait and see how Goff perform. And then, conclude on what to do with him. But i can't lie, 'im a little worried about him... 

On 8/30/2017 at 2:13 PM, Flounch said:

But if Goff performance isn't good at the end of the season, i can't see why thinking of drafting another QB is a bad idea. The next year QB class is only overrated by people who said that every year. 

But right now, we just have to wait and see how Goff perform. And then, conclude on what to do with him. But i can't lie, 'im a little worried about him... 

Yea, just give him the season....he's looked more confident, comfortable and in control. Stop being a hater.

Archived