Sign in to follow this  
CWood21

Expectations for Jared Goff

Flounch    3

Being a hater ? Well that's new to me. I have nothing against Goff, why do you say that ? I hope his success more than anything but what i saw on the field in PS doesn't inspire much. 

jrry32    194
11 hours ago, Flounch said:

Being a hater ? Well that's new to me. I have nothing against Goff, why do you say that ? I hope his success more than anything but what i saw on the field in PS doesn't inspire much. 

24/32

75.0%

250 yards

7.8 YPA

1 TD*

1 Int

94.5 Passer Rating

* - Doesn't count the TD that Kupp recovered in the end-zone.

Those numbers are superior to the numbers put up by:

1. Matt Ryan

2. Jameis Winston

3. Drew Brees

4. Kirk Cousins

5. Alex Smith

6. Andy Dalton

7. Eli Manning

I'm not sure how you're acting as if he performed poorly in the preseason. He threw 1 bad passes (the read was correct, but the pass was bad). Beyond that, what's there to complain about? He was nearly perfect against the Raiders. He played fine in his limited snaps against the Cowboys. And he started off great against the Chargers until the Bosa sack (which wasn't on him) and the INT.

Goff is 22 years old. He's a second-year QB in a new system. He's not going to be perfect. He's going to have inconsistencies. That's normal for QBs until they hit their late 20s (around age 26 to 29). But he looked plenty good in the preseason to me. It's clear he's progressed quite a bit from last year. The preseason doesn't mean anything, but I certainly didn't see concerning play out of Goff.

Flounch    3
7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

24/32

75.0%

250 yards

7.8 YPA

1 TD*

1 Int

94.5 Passer Rating

* - Doesn't count the TD that Kupp recovered in the end-zone.

Those numbers are superior to the numbers put up by:

1. Matt Ryan

2. Jameis Winston

3. Drew Brees

4. Kirk Cousins

5. Alex Smith

6. Andy Dalton

7. Eli Manning

I'm not sure how you're acting as if he performed poorly in the preseason. He threw 1 bad passes (the read was correct, but the pass was bad). Beyond that, what's there to complain about? He was nearly perfect against the Raiders. He played fine in his limited snaps against the Cowboys. And he started off great against the Chargers until the Bosa sack (which wasn't on him) and the INT.

Goff is 22 years old. He's a second-year QB in a new system. He's not going to be perfect. He's going to have inconsistencies. That's normal for QBs until they hit their late 20s (around age 26 to 29). But he looked plenty good in the preseason to me. It's clear he's progressed quite a bit from last year. The preseason doesn't mean anything, but I certainly didn't see concerning play out of Goff.

You are really making a comparison between proven veteran QB and Goff ? The thing is their performance didn't matter as we already know their ceilling and it will be just fine in regular season. Goff doesn't take part of the group above, he's far away and stats in PS doesn't mean anything, you shoud know by now. 

Again, you are too optimistic about Goff. Last year you did and said the same thing about Goff after the game against NO. How he was great and everything and then we know what happened....

I'm not saying it will be the same thing as last year but you have to stop seeing everything positive about Goff. Well i don't know, but am i the only one who's concerned about Goff this year ? Heck how can you not be worried a little bit specially when Mannion was looking slighty better than him with the second team. I saw throws that i really like and i didn't saw with Goff.

Mannion has sucess throwing deep to Reynolds who play the same position than Watkins and we didn't saw that with Goff. Watkins was totally ignore by Goff except the nearly TD in the red zone against the Boys i think. Ok, maybe you will say, it takes time to build chemistry and all but that bothers me a lot. And is it a coincidence that when Kupp is not here to play, his performance is down ? 

And i'm not saying we have to start Mannion over him but there's some area i'm not confident with Goff. We will see what happen in the first half of the season and if i was totally wrong about these concerns. 

jrry32    194
9 hours ago, Flounch said:

You are really making a comparison between proven veteran QB and Goff ? The thing is their performance didn't matter as we already know their ceilling and it will be just fine in regular season. Goff doesn't take part of the group above, he's far away and stats in PS doesn't mean anything, you shoud know by now.  

Yes, I'm making comparisons between the performances of Goff and veteran QBs because it undercuts your claim that Goff's preseason performance was concerning.

Again, you are too optimistic about Goff. Last year you did and said the same thing about Goff after the game against NO. How he was great and everything and then we know what happened....

Yea, the Rams sucked. We both didn't enjoy it. At the end of the day, I didn't lose anything from being optimistic.

I'm not saying it will be the same thing as last year but you have to stop seeing everything positive about Goff. Well i don't know, but am i the only one who's concerned about Goff this year ? Heck how can you not be worried a little bit specially when Mannion was looking slighty better than him with the second team. I saw throws that i really like and i didn't saw with Goff.

And you have to stop seeing only the negative with Goff. He completed 75% of his passes in the preseason. The Rams scored on 5 of his 8 preseason drives. 

How can I not be worried? I saw a guy who was making the right reads, standing tall against pressure, and making accurate throws (except for a handful, including the Int).

You're nuts if you're claiming that Mannion looked better. The Rams scored 56 points in the 3 games that Mannion and Goff played. The Rams scored 27 of those 56 points on Goff's 8 drives. The Rams scored 29 of 56 points on Mannion's 20 drives. That means that the Rams averaged 3.38 points per Goff drive and 1.45 points per Mannion drive. Mannion wasn't leading scoring drives.

Mannion has sucess throwing deep to Reynolds who play the same position than Watkins and we didn't saw that with Goff. Watkins was totally ignore by Goff except the nearly TD in the red zone against the Boys i think. Ok, maybe you will say, it takes time to build chemistry and all but that bothers me a lot. And is it a coincidence that when Kupp is not here to play, his performance is down ? 

We did see that with Goff. We saw Goff hit Kupp for a long TD and drop a perfect throw into the basket with Watkins that he dropped that should have been another TD against the Raiders.

And i'm not saying we have to start Mannion over him but there's some area i'm not confident with Goff. We will see what happen in the first half of the season and if i was totally wrong about these concerns.

You don't have to be confident. It's fine if you're concerned after last year, but don't try and claim that his preseason performance didn't inspire any confidence. You're basically brushing off the good as "just the preseason" and focusing on the very little bad that was present.

Edited by jrry32

Dashing202    37

I like Goff.

18 touchdowns 13 ints -2 rushing td 3200 yards -59 percent comp is what I feel like he will have .

BStanRamFan    9

After seeing week 1:

4500 Passing Yards

25TD

12Int

The O-line just needs to giving the kid time and WR/TE need to win their matchups and get up. He's shown he's comfortable fitting it in tight windows and throwing to a spot that only his guy can get it. The defense will need to keep us in games because I don't think he's ready to have to come in and save a game being down 2+ scores. But gaining and maintaining a lead can be done by him. Feeling better about him than last year thanks to coaching. I wasn't a fan of his coming out, mostly due to what Fisher's offense expected from QB play so this is pleasant to watch.

stl4life07    16

Goff so far this season looks like the 1st overall pick. People are praising Wentz but I heard a stat that Wentz has nine "should be turnover" plays this season which leads the NFL. He already has like 2 interceptions and 3 fumbles (1 lost). While he still looks has looked good despite what I mentioned, he is making plays and one could argue the Eagles could be 2-0 easily by the way they beat Washington and played KC tough on the road, I think Goff has looked better. Goff right now has looked like one of the better QBs in the NFL to start the young 2017 season. So if anyone is still having doubts about the Rams giving up a lot to move up in the draft to choose him as their franchise QB, Goff is starting to prove you wrong. He will only get better. Btw, I see why many scouts compared him to Matt Ryan coming out.