Expectations for Jared Goff

CWood21

14 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

That's because the media darling is Carson Wentz and typically where the media goes the fans usually follows

I have yet to understand this love affair with Carson Wentz. The MMQB just proclaimed him as a TOp 10 QB this year, which is asinine to me. Nothing I watched from Wentz last year was all that impressive. He had a hot start against 2 of the worst teams in the league (CLE and CHI), and another bad defense in the Steelers. he started the season with a nice cushion of a 7/1 TD/INT ratio. From that point, his next 11 games were bad, the team went 3-8. In 5 of those games he didnt throw a TD and over that stretch he had a 7/13 TD/INT ratio. 

Not to mention he had better weapons, better OL, better coaching and a better offensive system

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I have yet to understand this love affair with Carson Wentz. The MMQB just proclaimed him as a TOp 10 QB this year, which is asinine to me. Nothing I watched from Wentz last year was all that impressive. He had a hot start against 2 of the worst teams in the league (CLE and CHI), and another bad defense in the Steelers. he started the season with a nice cushion of a 7/1 TD/INT ratio. From that point, his next 11 games were bad, the team went 3-8. In 5 of those games he didnt throw a TD and over that stretch he had a 7/13 TD/INT ratio. 

Not to mention he had better weapons, better OL, better coaching and a better offensive system

I agree. Wentz did struggle after the first 5 games. I know he lost his LT Lane Johnson but Goff had the worst LT in football GRob. Yes Wentz went 3-8, Goff should've been 2-5 in his 7 starts. Remember the Rams had 14-0 leads in the Miami and San Fran games but Fisher conservative approach cost Goff and the Rams those two games. 

Fast forward to this season. I'll take Whitworth over Johnson, I'll take Watkins over Alshon. Gurley over Blount. Goff has just as good if not a better supporting cast than Wentz. I do think the Eagles oline is one of the better olines in the NFL but the Rams oline has improved to at least average which is good enough. I like Wentz but he isn't top 10 QB.

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

I agree. Wentz did struggle after the first 5 games. I know he lost his LT Lane Johnson but Goff had the worst LT in football GRob. Yes Wentz went 3-8, Goff should've been 2-5 in his 7 starts. Remember the Rams had 14-0 leads in the Miami and San Fran games but Fisher conservative approach cost Goff and the Rams those two games. 

It would be like if we just took Goff's first 2 games he played (Miami & New Orleans, about the first quarter of his games played) and then just ignored the rest of the season where he struggled in alot of those games. In just those two games his stat line looks like this;

• 37-63
  • 348 yards
  • 3 TDs - 1 INT
  • 5.52 yards per attempt
  • 58.7% comp
  • 83.3 Passer Rating

Tells a completely different story than what really happened last year. Not necessarily a great one, but people wouldnt be looking at him the way they are this offseason

6 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

It would be like if we just took Goff's first 2 games he played (Miami & New Orleans, about the first quarter of his games played) and then just ignored the rest of the season where he struggled in alot of those games. In just those two games his stat line looks like this;

• 37-63
  • 348 yards
  • 3 TDs - 1 INT
  • 5.52 yards per attempt
  • 58.7% comp
  • 83.3 Passer Rating

Tells a completely different story than what really happened last year. Not necessarily a great one, but people wouldnt be looking at him the way they are this offseason

Yeah what was impressive is his first start against Miami was it was pouring down raining in LA which hardly ever happens. Then he went to NO in his first road start in that loud dome and did something no QB did at that point of the season and that's throw 3 tds in the 1st half against the Saints defense. To me that alone was impressive. People say Goff never showed flashes but that first half against the Saints was flashes for me going back and forth with Brees.

I'm rooting for Goff to bring us out of our years of misery. I think they are making the right moves lately bringing in Watkins and the rookies who give Goff more weapons. The key will be if the O-line can give Goff enough time to make the correct decisions. If not then he will likely have another rough year and be in danger of losing confidence in himself and the pressure could mount.

7 minutes ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

Your interpretation of that is obviously different than mine or others. My interpretation is a guy who has a lot of changes around him in both coaching staff and personal and system. Goff hasn't even played a half of season worth of real games. He has 7 starts under his belt. Of course what do you expect the coaches to say? Like I'm sure McVay said the same things about Cousins when he was the OC. As a matter of fact I'm sure he said that because coming into the 2014 season and heading into the 2015 season the Redskins truly didn't know what they had in Cousins at best and at worst they might have thought Cousins was a lost cause. Then in after 2015 they was very impressed by the season he had and he followed it up with another impressive season in 2016. So to me it's the same with Goff. It is a wait and see with him because it's his 2nd year and everything is new. The coaches could say the same thing about everyone on the offense besides Whitworth. Same can be said about that defense except for Donald and he isn't there so he is even a wait and see.

that's true and fine.

but i remember when adam schefter talked about cousins and the first team he brought up was the rams.

i remember how mcvay said that goff is our starter "now".

sure, 7 games. 7 games under a jeff fisher system.

but all that smoke since mcvay took over. i can't ignore these little things.

he will get his chance but that's it.

2 hours ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

that's true and fine.

but i remember when adam schefter talked about cousins and the first team he brought up was the rams.

i remember how mcvay said that goff is our starter "now".

sure, 7 games. 7 games under a jeff fisher system.

but all that smoke since mcvay took over. i can't ignore these little things.

he will get his chance but that's it.

What Smoke? That the Redskins completely botched their relationship with Cousins, and every "report" had him immediately linked to the Niners and Rams? Hmmmm you mean the two teams with brand new HCs, that just so happen to be his last two OCs?

Also dont forget, the other "report" was the Detroit Lions . . . these are all pure speculation, even coming from Schefter

of course now everybody is an idiot if they don't tell you that goff is great.

i listened to gary klein and lindsey. well, they agreed with gonzalez.

goff didn't look good or great.

they asked all these nation guys because both are new to the nfl, none of them said goff is the guy .

everybody is wrong. all of them. just because...

the only one who thinks goff is a franchise qb is jeff fishers buddy and berkley alum mike silver.

and he will never ever talk about goff again after this season. just because...

Hey if you want to get all your Rams news from Gonzalez then by all means enjoy. Rams fans have talked to him at camp and asked him why he doesn't report anything positive after Goff does well and he laughs them off. Personally I'm going to watch video's of the practice and see what Rams fans say, both good and bad. And get a variety of sources. Some people just thrive on the negative though. We'll see how he looks tonight. 

“I thought Jared did a great job making good decisions, got a lot of people involved,” McVay said postgame. “And I thought just from having eight snaps in Week 1 and then coming in tonight and having 37 — we always talk about that daily improvement and he definitely got better this week.”

“My experience with Jared to this point has shown me that he’s nothing but a mentally tough guy that has great resilience and the ability to respond when things don’t work out,” McVay said. “And I think he’s able to take it for what it is and learn from it, and try to avoid those moving forward. But I think it’s also our job as coaches to try to put him in situations that are conducive for making good decisions consistently.”

“I thought he did an excellent job getting in and out of the huddle, managing it,” McVay added. “It was a good atmosphere tonight, where you’re having to use your silent cadence and do some different things. So there were some different elements that — very pleased with the way with he led the offense. And we were able to come away with some points and that’s always the goal.”

I know its just preseason, but if last night was any indication, Id say Goff is much improved from last year.  

And thats not me knocking him last year.  Considering what his situation was, he did really well.  Rookie playing the hardest position in football, with an amateur offensive staff, coming from a college spread no-huddle offense, and playing against some of the toughest NFL defenses with very little talent around him.  What did everyone expect?

Archived