Trade Deadline

bMiller031

Whether or not we won or lost the game, if this is true, then it's a no-brainer to trade Chubb

I get it, sucks short-term, but consider:

-Gregory isn't going anywhere.   Browning looks like an elite pass rusher.   You can only play 2 guys 80+ percent of the pass snaps.    As much as Chubb's played really well this year - it's just a numbers game...and that's before you get to the 20M+ AAV salary Chubb's going to command.

-Bonnito hasn't proven he deserves to be 3rd guy yet...but the last 2 games were a good step in the right direction.  And he's cheap.

-The 20M+ we save at EDGE then allows us to address key areas - trenches (OL/interior DL/ILB).     No 2 ways around it, we need better OL play, and better run D / ILB play (esp in coverage).  20M goes a LONG way to help there.

The fact Chubb's playing so well is an opportunity Paton should not pass up.    And I'd argue with Browning likely back after 2 more games, and Gregory back after 1 more....it's not worth worrying about.   The offer's just too good.   

18 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I’ve heard some rumblings that the 1st for Chubb rumors have been leaked by the Broncos to build interest, which went alongside the rumors that if we don’t get what we want for him, we will work out a long term deal. 

I’d be inclined to believe that. It’s pretty hard for me to imagine a team giving up a first round pick for a guy who’s missed 23 games since 2018. And if they did, it’s even harder for me to imagine that we wouldn’t have already pulled the trigger on that by now. 

• Like 1

Prediction:

Chubb will go to a team for like a 2nd and 4th but with a condition that the 2nd becomes a 1st if the new team go deep in the playoffs.

Okwuegbunam gets flipped for a very late pick.

Jeudy available for the right price, but no one is willing to pay it.

Hamler stays, and continues to grow his role in our offense. He should be the #3 WR going forward.

Dre’Mont Jones stays and gets a huge contract from us after the season.

Risner stays but walks at the end of the year. We get a nice compensatory pick for him. 

3 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Prediction:

Chubb will go to a team for like a 2nd and 4th but with a condition that the 2nd becomes a 1st if the new team go deep in the playoffs.

Okwuegbunam gets flipped for a very late pick.

Jeudy available for the right price, but no one is willing to pay it.

Hamler stays, and continues to grow his role in our offense. He should be the #3 WR going forward.

Dre’Mont Jones stays and gets a huge contract from us after the season.

Risner stays but walks at the end of the year. We get a nice compensatory pick for him. 

It's looking more & more like Chubb might get a 1st if he's dealt - unconditional.    And given a team acquiring can tag Chubb next year and keep him at least 1 more year, and there's competition for his services, it's not a crazy scenario.   If that's indeed the case, no-brainer.

To take it a step further - if there's a team to pick from between the Jets / Fish, take the Jets offer.   Without Breece Hall, and with their QB situation, most likely to miss playoffs.

If we can get a 3rd/4th for Risner, we should absolutely do it - because Risner's top end compensation would be an end of 3rd rd pick in 2024 - and that's ONLY if we don't make a big splash signing on our end in FA.    That second part is key - we can't bank on getting an end of 3rd, and it's possible it's an end of 4th pick too (if it's not a top 10-15 signing AAV salary signing, it drops to end of 4th).    I can understand if we don't, but from a pure return of value for 2023+ perspective, a 3rd is a no-brainer, and a 4th is good enough value.   Of course, the Q is whether Paton would outright sell a starter on our OL for this year (it's one thing to sell Chubb for a 1st, and no-brainer to sell Albert O, but given how bad our OL play is, a tougher now vs. future play - we're about to get Gregory & Browning back shortly, and they're our future - can't say that about the OL).

Edited by Broncofan

I think one of Chubb or Jeudy gets dealt today, but we'll see. I maintain Denver won't trade Chubb unless they get more than they would in comp pick compensation if he leaves.

I'd love a 1, I'd settle for a 2 and a 3 or 2 and 4. The reality is, Denver is somewhat dealing from a position of strength at OLB, and while you can never have too many, we also need to fortify the OL and DL. Jeudy I can take or leave at this point. He looked better Sunday, but if someone gives us a 2, I think you take it.

22 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I think one of Chubb or Jeudy gets dealt today, but we'll see. I maintain Denver won't trade Chubb unless they get more than they would in comp pick compensation if he leaves.

I'd love a 1, I'd settle for a 2 and a 3 or 2 and 4. The reality is, Denver is somewhat dealing from a position of strength at OLB, and while you can never have too many, we also need to fortify the OL and DL. Jeudy I can take or leave at this point. He looked better Sunday, but if someone gives us a 2, I think you take it.

I agree - I think a 2 and a 3 would be a good haul for Chubb - I doubt Paton will be paying him at the end of the season - and I would also take a 2 for Jeudy - I don't think he will ever reach his potential and if he is a bit of a malcontent then it is better to get rid. If we got two 2s and a 3 we could get back into the first round.

11 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Just to make sure I’m up to speed here, we now have a 1,3,3,4,5,6,7 in the ‘23 draft, yes?

10 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yup 

I don’t think we have a 7th

1st (from SF, traded ours to SEA)

3rd (from IND)

3rd

4th

5th

6th (from PIT, traded our own to DET in the Trinity Benson trade) 

We acquired Minnesota’s 7th, but traded away both 7ths. One to the Niners for Jonas Griffith and one to the Steelers in the Reed trade.