DB coach Aubrey Pleasant fired

teude

Shocking given where we were at 9 months ago with him getting interviews to be a DC.  But yeah, if we have a game plan and he isn't coaching guys for that game plan, then its not going to work.  It adds to my concerns of all of these young coaches with little experience in their roles all learning at the same time.  Seems like this should be on Glenn too though, given he oversees the whole defense and he should have been making sure his guys were planning properly, especially given he was a DB coach before getting here.  

27 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Shocking given where we were at 9 months ago with him getting interviews to be a DC.  But yeah, if we have a game plan and he isn't coaching guys for that game plan, then its not going to work.  It adds to my concerns of all of these young coaches with little experience in their roles all learning at the same time.  Seems like this should be on Glenn too though, given he oversees the whole defense and he should have been making sure his guys were planning properly, especially given he was a DB coach before getting here.  

AG was getting (premature) HC buzz all the while too. 

This all may be a case of guys learning on the job and we should have a bit more patience. Unfortunately, someone had to take the fall for the absolute failure this season has been. It's not even the L's. If these were all close games and it's just a matter of finishing ,then you can see that they've plateaued and that an infusion of talent will help get over the hump. This defense is just horribly bad and the offense needs to have a perfect game for the team to have any shot. The offensive depth isn't really there as we need Swift and ARSB in order to maintain any form of a dynamic offense. Decision making has been terrible from the coaching staff down to the QB. 

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm not upset with this. You can look at each position group and see growth or development of at least a couple players. Who on our secondary has been developed? Where have we seen any improvement? And now we find out he was going rogue? It's a tough call to make but one that needed to be made. 

This doesn't absolve others of blame for the failures of this team. Each coach will have to be evaluated for their part, but you cannot have no accountability just because a guy is likable. 

Just now, Nnivolcm said:

Crazy how just a few months ago he was AG's heir apparent at DC because AG was on the short list for defensive HCs. 

And/or we were worried about losing both of them if AG got a HC job (as he could leave with AG to take the DC position at his new team). 

Sigh...

The joys of being a Lions fan...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm not upset with this. You can look at each position group and see growth or development of at least a couple players. Who on our secondary has been developed? Where have we seen any improvement? And now we find out he was going rogue? It's a tough call to make but one that needed to be made. 

This doesn't absolve others of blame for the failures of this team. Each coach will have to be evaluated for their part, but you cannot have no accountability just because a guy is likable. 

Jeff Okudah and Kirby Joseph have made solid progress this year.  However, the communication problems, blown coverages haven't improved.  After not getting any jams against the Dolphins, something had to change.

• Like 1

I am still struggling with DC's ability to coach from this situation.  To me, the fact that Pleasant didn't coach his guys to jam them, means AG was not overseeing his defense as a whole during practice. And DC was not overseeing his whole team during practice to make sure the gameplan was being followed.  They practiced all week, if AP wasn't coaching the jam at the line, then step in and have AG do it then.  If they didn't notice him not coaching it, thats a bad sign.  

To top that off, during the game, why didn't DC or AG change things?  Make them get up on the line and at least try to jam them even if it wasn't overly practiced.  These guys are professionals, they have done it before.  Why can we see the game getting out of control our defense doing nothing to slow them in the second half and not make an adjustment?  

It seems if maybe AP was against the jamming of the WRs, they would practice both methods, let AP get a chance to show his method and if it didn't work, try the other.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Jeff Okudah and Kirby Joseph have made solid progress this year.  However, the communication problems, blown coverages haven't improved.  After not getting any jams against the Dolphins, something had to change.

Okudah is finally back after being injured and Kerby is a rookie. Are they progressing or just playing? 

Just now, Louis Friend said:

Okudah is finally back after being injured and Kerby is a rookie. Are they progressing or just playing? 

I would definitely say Kirby Joseph is progressing.  He wasn't expected to be a starter this year but had to step up due to injuries.  He ha shown a lot of improvement in the last couple of games. 

As far as Jeff Okudah goes, this is basically his rookie season.  After two years of being sidelined with injuries, it is good to finally see him stay on the field.  That being said, he has graded out pretty well and really only had one bad game against Seattle.  He may never live up to being the #3-pick in his draft class but he is becoming a very solid CB.

• Like 1