Trade Deadline and Future Roster Musings

Dcash4

19 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Wait....So we got a potential top 40 pick for Chase? 

Lol, Khan for president. 

Especially when you look at the trade compensation that Amari Cooper got. I know a lot had to do with the Cowboys getting under the cap but my God. On worth planet is Claypool with a high 2nd. Haha

Edited by baltimoreRebel

3 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Especially when you look at the trade compensation that Amari Cooper got. I know a lot had to do with the Cowboys getting under the cap but my God. On worth planet is Claypool with a high 2nd. Haha

I might be wrong, but I believe he will count $1.5 against the cap next year for the Bears. That is so incredibly valuable in today's receiver game when NFL guys cost ya $15M+. That was probably more valuable than the actual player. I expected a team like Green Bay to take a swing at him for that reason. Bears make sense too, get a guy with some experience and upside to pair with Fields. 

Somewhat of a one step forward, two steps back type approach...

Claypool in a vertical game is dangerous. Scheme versatile and dangerous. Can also be Kenny Golladay with the wrong fit. For this team, with Kenny!!!!!, that's a good dump.

WJIII is a problem. Probably better than Spoon but for similar type compensation. One could say that's improvement... 

Dynamic:

What we have here is hero ball. These hero ball type plays (moving back 30 picks each time) ending up in worse draft position and then moving good players to recoup those previous mistakes. (This leads to a net neutral position) 🧘

You are nowhere near teams in your division, let alone the rest of the league. This is the heart of the problem.

(You traded 30 draft slots for a one year rental on a sinking ship)

What are you even thinking? 🤠 (Playoffs?!???)

50 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Low compensation, which is good, but just an odd day in terms of trading. One screams future, the other says now. I just hope they traded for WJIII with a 2-3 year outlook. 

I think it's because Witherspoon is in the MikeHouse and Pierre is the answer to a question no one asks.

WJIII has three years remaining on his contract, two of which have no salaries and are placeholders (i.e. void years)

IN terms of Steelers business, he has $9,250,000 on a one year deal (after this season). It's very possible they move his salary down $1,250,000 and spread that $8m over three to have his 2023 cap hit be:

$1,250,000 + ($8,000,000/3) 

2023 - $3,916,667

Inevitably, leading to an acceleration of ($8,000,000/3) TIMES TWO for a dead money charge of$5,333,000 in 2024, which could not be spread out over two years, because the contract is now void.

I see a one year rental contract and a nice way to save the owner $5,333,000 by creating dead money for the 2024 tax season, because that money is on the cap. 😉🤠🤌