Patriots defense

tonyto36

Eric Lee is looking really impressive so far.  I mean, he's gotten really lucky with his big plays but, he's moved into the role pretty seamlessly and hasn't made any huge errors yet despite playing a bunch of downs.

We'll see how he does in a more structured defensive game plan.  Game plan against Bills is definitely structured but, it was a lot of contain play so, heavier on individual player's IQ's and general strategy than needing to be 100% in sync with his fellow defensive players.

On 12/4/2017 at 9:25 AM, ChazStandard said:

Holding the Bills to 3 points has vaulted the D into the top 10 in PPG. Never would have expected that back in september.

So if we win the SB this year NFL Gen will be all "Brady had a top 10 defense blaaahhhhh"

7 hours ago, lancerman said:

So if we win the SB this year NFL Gen will be all "Brady had a top 10 defense blaaahhhhh"

Fact remains, New England has never won the Super Bowl without a top 10 defense. In their 5 championships they've ranked 6, 1, 2, 8, and 1 respectively. Considering they are on that track again, things are looking good for another.

After all, W/L is not a QB statistic. #QBwinz

5 hours ago, Carmen Cygni said:

Fact remains, New England has never won the Super Bowl without a top 10 defense. In their 5 championships they've ranked 6, 1, 2, 8, and 1 respectively. Considering they are on that track again, things are looking good for another.

I'd love it if we won a SB with a non-top 10 D. People would be scraping the barrel for the next excuse. 

3 hours ago, Carmen Cygni said:

It's not really an excuse, a knock, or even some odd caveat, but simply rather that championships are not won without a top defense.

I agree. Imagine the praise if we added that string to our bow though. It's generally used as yet another road hump Brady has to go through in the eyes of those who refuse his status. 

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I agree. Imagine the praise if we added that string to our bow though. It's generally used as yet another road hump Brady has to go through in the eyes of those who refuse his status. 

Anyone who denies the greatness of Brady at this point and time should just be laughed at and ridiculed for the cretins they are.

Sincerely,

A jealous Dolphin fan.

17 hours ago, Carmen Cygni said:

All I heard last year was that by DVOA the Patriots were a below average defense last year.

Patriots defense allowed 22.4 PPG in the SBs they won.

Patriots scored 20, 32, 24, 28 and 34 against three dominant defenses and two above average ones.

11 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'd love it if we won a SB with a non-top 10 D. People would be scraping the barrel for the next excuse. 

I remember arguing with people in ~2010 who legitimately believed Bradys SB victories shouldn't matter in Brady vs Peyton debate because he didn't have to lead go ahead touchdown scores; "only" field goals.   I wonder where those people are now lol.

2 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

All I heard last year was that by DVOA the Patriots were a below average defense last year.

Patriots defense allowed 22.4 PPG in the SBs they won.

Patriots scored 20, 32, 24, 28 and 34 against three dominant defenses and two above average ones.

Well, shut out the noise. The Patriot's defense was #1 in PPG. DVOA Is meaningless to me. PPG is the only critical factor that defenses should be measured on with takeaways trailing behind that. You play who you are scheduled to play and the attempts to normalize that specific game and point in time across the board can't be done. Every game, those two teams involved, and every down, is situational and vastly different from any other game/down that is played by those respective teams and trying to compare with the league average is useless. DVOA is the word salad of analytics.

BTW, holding a top team to under 23 points is nothing to sneeze at. Not to mention, last year in the Super Bowl the Patriots defense held the #1 offense in PPG to almost 2 touchdowns below their norm. Atlanta averaged 33.75 PPG during the regular season and NE's defense held them to 21 and shut them out in the 4th quarter. That's championship defense.

Archived