2022 Steelers Bye Week Thread

Steeler Hitman

9 hours ago, warfelg said:

Hot take. It’s alarming because the Colts should have been better. 

Off the top of my head, he only had Luck for 1 year…then a load of aging vets or clear backup type QBs.

He’ll get a 2nd HC gig this offseason…but my comment was more in regards to Tomlin but we both know we’re not going to agree on that part.

3 minutes ago, AFF said:

Off the top of my head, he only had Luck for 1 year…then a load of aging vets or clear backup type QBs.

Top 5-ish running game, top 5-ish OL, good enough WR’s, top half defenses.  Over that course of time Tomlin only got the top half defense like 2 times.

Indy was a SB potential roster held back by QB play.

We were top 10 pick potential roster boosted by QB play.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Top 5-ish running game, top 5-ish OL, good enough WR’s, top half defenses.  Over that course of time Tomlin only got the top half defense like 2 times.

Indy was a SB potential roster held back by QB play.

Colts haven’t had anybody at WR besides Pittman last year…TY wasn’t good for the last 3 years…agreed in the OL 

You don’t have 3 top 7 scoring defenses based on pts with a top 10 pick potential roster…along with having the likes of AB and Bell the early part of that span.

Don’t take this the wrong way but you defend Tomlin at every turn despite everything staring at you in the face from current coaching issues and the lack of responsibility….from the playoff failures over the last decade to the lack of direction for the team as a whole.

It should be screaming in your face that Tomlin should at the very least start having a warm seat but we both know that won’t happen.

Its again we’re at the point of agreeing to disagree on this matter…I hope I’m wrong going forward.

• Like 1

Tomlins earned the right to be given a chance to build this back up, but if we're still wallowing in mediocrity by 24/25. He needs to go. Seeing how far this offense has fallen under his watch has me concerned if he has any idea on how a modern organized offense should run. the coaching on that side of the ball has been a open joke in the football community for yrs now, it's more embarrassing than any Juju Tic-tok video. They need to get this next OC hire to work.

Edited by August4th
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AFF said:

Don’t take this the wrong way but you defend Tomlin at every turn despite everything staring at you in the face from current coaching issues and the lack of responsibility

I don’t defend Tomlin as much as most think. More point out how little most acknowledge the quality of other teams and the circumstances of what happens.

and I’m sorry but I’m the “lack of responsibility”, what? Why because he doesn’t call out players through the media? Because he keeps things in house? Because he deals with things behind closed doors?

Tomlin takes just about the blame for everything regardless of fault. Other GMs fave the media weekly and give quotes, Khan as spoken to the media once. Owners end up giving quotes 6-10 times a year, Art doesn’t face the media. Coaches create dumb controversies all the time through comments (hell look at Rivera and the Wentz drama), and Tomlin has never been in one of those. 

It feels like there’s a “lack of responsibility” because Tomlin keeps it all in house and allows himself to take the brunt of what’s going on. 

Stop blaming Tomlin for what’s simply been a team that isn’t talented enough. 

27 minutes ago, August4th said:

the coaching on that side of the ball has been a open joke in the football community for yrs now, it's more embarrassing than any Juju Tic-tok video. They need to get this next OC hire to work.

Fans also speculate a lot on why and we’ll likely never know either. We’ve seen Tomlin not wanting to be challenged, Tomlin hiring buddies (it’s worked defensively fyi), Art Rooney interfering, not paying guys enough (using Manchuck as a reason, who wanted to be with his daughter). 

At this point, keeping Canada (imo) has been the big “misstep” the offense has made. To me the rest of the drop can be easily explained without touching coaching at all. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, warfelg said:

Fans also speculate a lot on why and we’ll likely never know either. We’ve seen Tomlin not wanting to be challenged, Tomlin hiring buddies (it’s worked defensively fyi), Art Rooney interfering, not paying guys enough (using Manchuck as a reason, who wanted to be with his daughter). 

At this point, keeping Canada (imo) has been the big “misstep” the offense has made. To me the rest of the drop can be easily explained without touching coaching at all. 

Never wanted Fitchner years back, but was willing to give him a chance.   

Was relatively certain Canada would flop.   College coach with very limited success....very rarely works out in NFL.

The decline of talent in every area has been notable.

Losing Munch was devastating.    Ill give the current OL coach some credit for doing decent (pass blocking anyway) with scraps, but Munch was top OL coach and there was a notable difference on our line before, during and after his tenure here.

On 11/8/2022 at 7:29 PM, warfelg said:

I'm pretty sure I could dig up a couple dozen posts from the last few seasons where you told us that the QB of the team was grossly holding them and Tomlin back from his supposed demands on how the offense should be run to his declining talent.

Now it kind of looks like Ben got just about as much out of that offense the last two years as possible, despite being a shell of himself physically.