2022 Steelers Bye Week Thread

Steeler Hitman

And I just want to point out something to those questioning Pickett....look at guys like Joe Burrow and Trevor Lawrence, two former highly touted 1st overall picks.      Do any of you actually believe those guys would come here and play notably better than Pickett right now?  While there are QBs I like in this upcoming class more than Pickett, I dont think any of them would look notably better under these circumstances.

Kenny wasn't my choice in 2022, and I wont be shocked if we are looking for a new QB in 2025 or even 2024, but I do think it would be foolish to give up on him so quickly, even if we are in prime position to get a QB.    

If done right, we could see a pretty decent turn around by 2024 or 2025....but 2023 needs to be focused on building a team a franchise QB can actually win with....whoever that may end up being.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

FWIW NFL.com graded the Claypool trade a B for us because of a “letdown compared to the rumors of a CMC like return.”

Lol...a 2nd rd pick (likely higher than what we drafted him with a couple years ago l) for a wildly inconsistent player on a bad team that wasnt going to be resigned a year and a half from now.

They can give it an F- for all I care.   I love it....but at the end of the day, we have to make it count.

• Like 3

Gave the PFN mock draft a try. Only did a 5 round draft

I traded down 2 times in the 1st to get the the 9th pick

9. Trenton Simpson ILB Clemson
33. Olumuyiwa Fashanu OT Penn St
34. Eli Ricks CB Bama
38. John Michael Schmitz OC Minn
42. Siaki Ika NT Baylor
70. Andrew Vorhees OG USC
103. Andre Carter II EDGE Army
138. Rakim Jarrett WR Maryland

11 hours ago, 43M said:

look at guys like Joe Burrow and Trevor Lawrence, two former highly touted 1st overall picks.      Do any of you actually believe those guys would come here and play notably better than Pickett right now?

Short answer for me, yes. But, ultimately depends on what you are judging it by. Neither of those guys in their rookie years played in notably better situations. I would say we are probably closer to even than you would think in terms of talent around them too. 

There's more to the conversation, but keeping things simplistic -- both of those guys showed early on that they could make NFL throws. We are still waiting to see Kenny just make a handful. Both of those guys have different styles, Trevor's arm can make NFL throws, Burrow relies on timing -- both of those were more advanced than Kenny. 

Kenny is playing way too much towards the negative side of his scouting report -- and those are also places those two beat him up pretty good. Burrow, to a fault, hangs in the pocket to look downfield. Kenny notoriously vacates clean pockets and it's already cost us this year. Trevor's arm isn't elite, but it's very strong and it showed early in his ability to complete passes 10+ yards down the field and that's vastly different than what we see with Kenny. 

The biggest question for comparison is our offensive game plan and play calling. Again, neither of those guys were in vastly better scenarios, but I would be willing to say that our plan is the worst. Those two through their first 4 starts answered more questions about their future than Kenny has to this point and most of that is because of the NFL throws they scattered in. But are we only throwing short because that's what we want to do? Not sure where the mix is there, because there are throws Kenny should be making that aren't happening. But it's hard to say if those guys in this offense make them. 

So while I don't think with Matt Canada as their coordinator that we would be seeing 300+, 3 TD, 1 INT games consistently with those two over Kenny - I do believe it would be noticeably different, and much more encouraging. Based on the issues we saw in these games and understanding those guys abilities, I would easily say either of them win us the Dolphins game and likely the Jets game as well. And that would be notably better.