Vikings trade for TJ Hockenson

swede700

6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

please guys... all of us... let's not start posting this way, with veiled profanity.

this site has always had a ban against profane language and also against subverting it in this manner. the GB forum here is rife with this, and it's just cheap vulgarity.

let's be better than that.

Dude what do you think this is here?  

First I cannot post about a obviously connected concept that draft picks were involved in getting TJ Hockenson and will change who the Vikings target and who specifically is targeted in the draft....now I cannot post what ***, ****?   They block it out so who cares?  And literally I just used the star icon just then, like you could tell the difference?  Anyone wildly offended by that, this is a message board about football and one cannot pretend to swear because really that is all it is because it is blocked anyway...

Any concepts about the action message or just concerned about the swearing and talking about draft prospects?  

49 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

now I cannot post what ***, ****?   

it's a rule of this site, always has been. nothing has changed. and is one you agreed to follow upon becoming a member.

feel free to take it up with the Webmaster, i know what his answer will be.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

First I cannot post about a obviously connected concept that draft picks were involved in getting TJ Hockenson and will change who the Vikings target and who specifically is targeted in the draft....now I cannot post what ***, ****?   They block it out so who cares?  And literally I just used the star icon just then, like you could tell the difference?  Anyone wildly offended by that, this is a message board about football and one cannot pretend to swear because really that is all it is because it is blocked anyway...

Any concepts about the action message or just concerned about the swearing and talking about draft prospects?  

Feigning swearing is still against FF standards.  I have done it in the past, and been rightfully called out on it.

You are correct to point out that it's not a big deal to most.  Yet, it's a good thing, and a sign of maturity, to refrain from offending 1% of those who read and/or participates on this forum.  I think Vike Daddy, whom I have a lot of respect for, is correct in making the point that it IS possible to be both passionate about our opinions as well as thoughtful of others.

I appreciate your insight and opinions, Ozzy.  I  learn a lot about college players who may be available in the draft.  I trust your opinion because you do the research I am unwilling to do. Keep up the good work here.  But it is a helpful reminder to us all to moderate unnecessary expressions in order to try and make a point.

Edited by Captain Relax
  • Like 4

I see the value in using profanity when necessary, but there are limitations. 

For one, using it on social media is kind of lame, and secondly, if you use profanity constantly, then its lazy, boring and loses value.

But step on a lego, and THAT is a worthwhile reason to curse! With a kid on the way, I'm sure I'll be experiencing this often haha

Anyways, I hope TJ Hockenson is a dang good Tight End for us!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I see the value in using profanity when necessary, but there are limitations. .....

But step on a lego, and THAT is a worthwhile reason to curse!

Court Bailiff to Witness: "Please raise your right and and put your left hand on this bible.  Do you swear to tell the truth, and nothing but the truth?"

Witness: "No, but I might swear if I step on a Lego piece on my way to the bathroom in the middle of the night."

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I don't see him being a rental.

Neither do I.  His team 5th-year option has been taken by The Lions, so he's signed for 2023 at $9.4 million, and IF somehow, they can't reach an extension agreement, he can be franchised for 2024, and again in 2025.  And the franchise cost for a TE like him in 2024 should be a tolerable $11 million or $12 million.  That takes him through to age 28, which is near where bruising TEs are getting near or starting their decline.  So, they should have him for most or all of the rest of his prime.

And he should play better in this system, with a better offence, and with a zone blocking system, where he's been much better historically, than Detroit's  man (one on one) blocking system.  His ability to catch high-thrown balls above defenders, and to grab contested throws in traffic, and run over and through tackles for YAC, give Kirk the safety-valve he needs to throw early check-downs and sometimes short of the down markers, and still get the first downs.  

There shouldn't be many 3 and outs, anymore.  With TJ in, JJ will never be tripled, and very seldom doubled, and one or more of Cook, JJ, TJ, Thielen, or KJ should be wide open on almost every play.  I see a lot of long drives for scores coming.  I hope TJ can play at least 15-20 key plays on 3rd down, and in The Red Zone vs. The Commanders, to help us win that game, and also to give him some real game experience with his teammates before the all-important Bills game.

Edited by Robb_K
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Robb_K said:

Neither do I.  His team 5th-year option has been taken by The Lions, so he's signed for 2023 at $9.4 million, and IF somehow, they can't reach an extension agreement, he can be franchised for 2024, and again in 2025.  And the franchise cost for a TE like him in 2024 should be a tolerable $11 million or $12 million.  That takes him through to age 28, which is near where bruising TEs are getting near or starting their decline.  So, they should have him for most or all of the rest of his prime.

And he should play better in this system, with a better offence, and with a zone blocking system, where he's been much better historically, than Detroit's  man (one on one) blocking system.  His ability to catch high-thrown balls above defenders, and to grab contested throws in traffic, and run over and through tackles for YAC, give Kirk the safety-valve he needs to throw early check-downs and sometimes short of the down markers, and still get the first downs.  

There shouldn't be many 3 and outs, anymore.  With TJ in, JJ will never be tripled, and very seldom doubled, and one or more of Cook, JJ, TJ, Thielen, or KJ should be wide open on almost every play.  I see a lot of long drives for scores coming.  I hope TJ can play at least 15-20 key plays on 3rd down, and in The Red Zone vs. The Commanders, to help us win that game, and also to give him some real game experience with his teammates before the all-important Bills game.

Agreed, his contested catch ability and size is something the Vikings straight up do not have.  He is a big body receiver which is what they really need, that is why I never was a huge fan of Irv Smith because he is a little dude, nice to have a big tall TE like Hockenson who can take contact and still make the catch!

The play action game is going to be outstanding, Mundt has done decent at that spot but also drops very easy passes when he is wide open.  Put Hockenson in that position where he blocks then goes out on a route, he will be far more dangerous than Mundt ever was and should totally open up the offense.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2022 at 8:06 AM, wcblack34 said:

I think this is a smart move for the present and future. It should improve both facets of the offense if Hock can find his inner Kleinsasser again. Even if he's only average at run-blocking, that will be an improvement over what Irv has given us. If we extend him, we got a top flight starter for the equivalent of a third round pick. If we let him go, we probably get a 4th round compensatory pick. 

You are correct though, this does not get us past the Eagles or make us significantly better than Dallas. Of course, the only way to improve the team right now is to sign free agents. Ndamukong Suh and Odell Beckham Jr. would be great gets, and wouldn't require long-term deals, but their pricetags aren't easy to fit under the cap. However, Sheldon Richardson and Will Fuller are both still available. Fuller isn't great, but he's a deep threat and we currently don't have that. I can't help but think that Richardson would be an upgrade at one of the DE spots. While they aren't Suh and OBJ, I do thinkg Sheldon and Fuller would improve the team. 

Just have to hope Booth or Evans can step up and play slot at a better level than Sullivan has. 

Suh's and Beckham's salaries, even cut down by a signing bonus might leave the increase too high to fit in under the CAP, based on O'Neill's restructuring announced yesterday, which brings them $1.5 million giving them a little over $3 million in space to use on a UFA right now.  So, I rather think that room might have been made to add CB Sidney Jones, who was recently cut by The Seahawks. The Vikings are very thin at CB.  And Chandon Sullivan has played poorly for a long time.  I wonder if Jones has any experience as a slot corner?

Hockenson uses three distinct stances when he lines up. The first is a low three-point stance, often used in run plays when he’s not in motion. The second is a wide two-point stance with his hands on his knees which he uses often prior to going in motion or on pass plays where he’s asked to chip block and then run a route. The third is a wide receiver type stance used most often on clear passing plays where he runs a route and is not asked to chip block. While not a sure-fire tell of what the play will be or what Hockenson’s assignment is, his stance in the Lions’ offense seemed to be a likely tell of his assignment, and therefore what the play will be. My guess is that will change with the Vikings, among other things.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2022/11/4/23439091/more-thoughts-on-the-hockenson-trade-and-the-importance-of-the-tight-end-position?fbclid=IwAR3cnwwjkgU6CfITd1ubrXIijImLSPBiZ-qgF8IamT4IBdUAWRuj9QxWqqg

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I didn’t expect to see Hockenson for more than 10-12 plays. Dude balled out. All game long. If this is what he does after 4 days, we’d better start thinking about that extension now!

Hock made a huge impact on this game. I don’t think we win today without him. Moving forward, he’s going to be a problem for the opposition. I love the dynamic he presents with JJ. 

• Like 3