Vikings trade for TJ Hockenson

swede700

On 11/27/2022 at 4:21 PM, sinceAtikevike said:

Mundt has a cap number of 1.23 million next year (100k dead cap if cut). Irv is an UFA and they won't use the franchise tag on him. I am guessing he gets a Brate or Hooper-esque 2 year 12 million dollar deal from another team with little guaranteed in year 2.

Was looking at Spotrac's projection, and thought it was wildly off.

2 minutes ago, sinceAtikevike said:

I just saw spotrac has Irv's market value at 11.4million. No way, right?!

Spotrac has Hock's value at 14.4million, which seems like the starting point for his negotiations.

You wouldn't think that Irv is getting that, but he's still only 24 yrs old, so that might factor into his market and it might be higher than we expect.  And I do agree on Hockenson...I'd have to think he'll end up at $15M+, as Kittle was getting $15M average when he signed his deal at age 26 (Hockenson turns 26 next July).  He may not be as good as Kittle, but with the cap going up, that'll probably be about the going-rate for a TE with his skill-set.  

Hock is on pace for 65 receptions and 480 yards with the Vikings. In 10 games. I’d like to see that yardage total jump up a bit, but if he maintains his current pace, he’s going to get an extension with an AAV of $16-17 million. 
It’s going to be on KOC to figure out how to increase that YPC to maximize that value. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

The GM hasn't been perfect, but this was a great trade. 

It certainly has solidified that position for the foreseeable future.  As far as skill position players, I can't recall a better set of all of them together in a long time.  In 2009, they had Adrian, Rice, Harvin, and Shiancoe....and this might be better than that...even in '98, while they had the 3 WRs and Smith...they had Andrew Glover at TE...not exactly a big threat.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

It certainly has solidified that position for the foreseeable future.  As far as skill position players, I can't recall a better set of all of them together in a long time.  In 2009, they had Adrian, Rice, Harvin, and Shiancoe....and this might be better than that...even in '98, while they had the 3 WRs and Smith...they had Andrew Glover at TE...not exactly a big threat.  

And when considering the skill position set for 2022, do we factor in Irv? Looks like he’ll be back for a handful of games this season. He’s as good as gone next year. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

And when considering the skill position set for 2022, do we factor in Irv? Looks like he’ll be back for a handful of games this season. He’s as good as gone next year. 

I'm not factoring in Irv at all since he won't be back, but him and Mundt will certainly give them better receiving options as the backup TE than Kleinsasser (who really was more of a FB than TE) and Dugan.  🤣

• Like 1

The Hockenson trade has been a crucial element to the Vikings' stretch run, as he's caught three-plus passes in every game with Minnesota and easily integrated himself into the offense.

Saturday was his best game as a Viking yet -- and statistically one of the best of his career. Hockenson matched his career high for catches (10) with 14 minutes left in the game and finished with 13 grabs for 109 yards and two touchdowns, only the second multi-TD game of his career. The Vikings never trailed after Hockenson's 15-yard TD early in the fourth quarter, and it was a fantastic catch in traffic against tight man coverage. He also took a few shots in this game and kept getting up and churning out first downs.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-season-week-16-what-we-learned-from-saturday-s-games

• Like 2

Definitely my favorite acquisition of the KAM/KOC era (just ahead of Za'Darius). This was a huge upgrade at a major position of need.

He has had a few costly drops but overall he has been outstanding. He's helped open things up over the middle and allowed JJ and others to get deeper shots. Plus he's been a decent blocker for us and that is always a big area of concern.

Hope we find a way to keep him long term, he's got some good years left in him being only 25. Excited to watch him continue to grow in his role here for the Vikes.

i like Hock (i mean, who doesn't?) and his presence definitely helps Jefferson, but seems to hurt Thielen,

those two td's Hock got yesterday two years ago would have gone to AT.

how much longer wil Thielen be on the team? particularly with the growing confidence and results from KJ Oz.

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i like Hock (i mean, who doesn't?) and his presence definitely helps Jefferson, but seems to hurt Thielen,

those two td's Hock got yesterday two years ago would have gone to AT.

how much longer wil Thielen be on the team? particularly with the growing confidence and results from KJ Oz.

Depends on how much he’s willing to restructure. He’s definitely slowed down. But he’s still reliable in goal line and short yardage situations. He has value. Ideally, he’ll retire a Viking. His story deserves that. But he’ll have to decide whether he’s willing to take a big salary reduction. He’s a locker room leader and part of the glue that holds everything together. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Depends on how much he’s willing to restructure. He’s definitely slowed down. But he’s still reliable in goal line and short yardage situations. He has value. Ideally, he’ll retire a Viking. His story deserves that. But he’ll have to decide whether he’s willing to take a big salary reduction. He’s a locker room leader and part of the glue that holds everything together. 

ya... what's he due this coming year?