Vikings trade for TJ Hockenson

swede700

16 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

ya... what's he due this coming year?

Isn't it something ridiculous, like $19 million, because the big hit was delayed to allow his first several years of his last contract to be low enough for the team to fit other players' big contracts under the cap?

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

His cap number is near $20M. Cutting him would save roughly $6M in cap space. 

Cutting him doesn’t make much sense, but a restructure is absolutely needed. 

i guess the Viking FO didn't expect him to last this long?

he's a team friendly guy, maybe he'll accept a team friendly restructure.

how much has Thielen earned over his career? does he do local endorsement deals too?

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i guess the Viking FO didn't expect him to last this long?

he's a team friendly guy, maybe he'll accept a team friendly restructure.

how much has Thielen earned over his career? does he do local endorsement deals too?

Through this season, he’s made roughly $65MM. I do think he’ll restructure to stay. I think he likely knows he won’t make as much on another team. He’s had a respectable season (67 receptions for 692 yards), but that’s not likely to draw $15MM on the open market. 

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Through this season, he’s made roughly $65MM. I do think he’ll restructure to stay. I think he likely knows he won’t make as much on another team. He’s had a respectable season (67 receptions for 692 yards), but that’s not likely to draw $15MM on the open market. 

Honestly, if he didn’t have the local connection would we even want him back? Seems Osborn has emerged as the more valuable receiver. Given the deal that Hockenson is going to receive and he’s clearly Cousins preferred second target, might not want to spend a lot of money on that 3rd Wr/4th target. Thielen still does some good things, just want to go in a different direction like a speed/deep threat type. 

Edited by vikingsrule

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

Jefferson: "He's phenomenal. The plays that he's generating out there for us, they're momentum-changers. The second touchdown he had over two people, that was a phenomenal catch, great throw by Kirk. We'll even be crazier when we get Irv back."

https://www.vikings.com/news/justin-jefferson-tj-hockenson-set-franchise-records-win

Irv will be motivated to show something in the playoffs. He's gotta put some film out there for free agency. He could be a spark. 

• Like 1

Cousins: "He's got great movement skills, great hands. He's a smart football player. Then I think our coaches have done a great job of the scheme to make sure that he's able to put his skills to use."

Hockenson: "I appreciate him putting it up for me and just being able to try and make a play."

https://www.vikings.com/news/justin-jefferson-tj-hockenson-set-franchise-records-win

Obviously, Hockenson is not on Kittle's on Kelce's play level, but he is that type of talent, with that type of traits and athleticism.

He's a player that could be such a difference maker at a position with so few difference makers that you really don't let these players leave; especially ones approaching.

I think it's becoming pretty clear that you are going to build the offense around JJ and Hock; both will get lucrative deals from the Vikings. You already see it with the read structure from Kirk; it's pretty much JJ, then Hock, then everyone else.

• Like 2

I think we could see an extension in the offseason for TJ.

If he wants to be here (it seems like he does), he's a difference maker in K/O's offensive scheme; and someone that is a great complement to Justin Jefferson for the Vikings.

A big time extension could potentially rip up his 5th year cap number, lower it for the Vikings (help create cap space), and get TJ his bag as well.

I'm personally all for it. I'm all for locking up long term, young pieces of the team.

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

I think we could see an extension in the offseason for TJ.

If he wants to be here (it seems like he does), he's a difference maker in K/O's offensive scheme; and someone that is a great complement to Justin Jefferson for the Vikings.

A big time extension could potentially rip up his 5th year cap number, lower it for the Vikings (help create cap space), and get TJ his bag as well.

I'm personally all for it. I'm all for locking up long term, young pieces of the team.

You don’t make that trade if you’re not planning on locking him up. 

• Like 3