Vikings trade for TJ Hockenson

swede700

8 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

does anyone know the terms of the conditional pick?

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2022/11/01/detroit-lions-trade-tj-hockenson-minnesota-vikings-nfl/69610279007/

“the deal is for a swap of future draft picks. The Lions will receive a 2023 second-round pick and 2024 third-round pick, and send a 2023 fourth-round pick and a 2024 conditional fourth-rounder to the Vikings − it becomes a fifth if the Vikings win a playoff game this season, ESPN reports.”

What a deal, finally get a TE that can play!  Irv Smith has been really suspect and Mundt has not been consistent.  Hockenson provides some much needed impact at the position, great move.

Then again would have been awesome to get Chase Claypool for only a 2nd rounded, he would be awesome in this McVay style offense, but Hockenson is good too.  

• Like 1

I absolutely love this trade!

I hate giving up high picks like the 2nd RDer but we're getting a high 4th back and we're getting an all around solid TE. Im more than ok with that.

Love that his cap hit next year isnt completely outrageous and he could be an option for a future extension, saving our limited draft resources for other positions.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes him to get up to speed with the offense. Excited for the Vikings future with him on our squad.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Better. He's faster and is a better blocker than prime Rudolph, and will break tackles. He's had to deal with playing in Detroit, so I anticipate his stats will start matching his talent in Minnesota.

First, I want to say that I love this trade, but I am a bit more tepid on expecting Hockenson to match his stats in Detroit in the near future. I think that he has a better chance to flourish here, but some of his stats are probably boosted in Detroit because he was one of the better options offensively there. Here, he is surrounded by a lot more talent which means he could be seeing less targets since the ball could be spread around more. I feel like his ceiling is Kittle, but it remains to be seen if we’ll see that before the end of the season, IMO.

• Like 2

That 2nd round pick in 2023 is a big loss no question, I have them getting Olusegun Oluwatimi Michigan SR C, but he could go late 1st or earlier than their 2nd round pick as well because he is one of the best centers in the draft.  Maybe the Vikings should target him in the mid to late 1st, that along with Phillips the CB out of Utah.

32 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

First, I want to say that I love this trade, but I am a bit more tepid on expecting Hockenson to match his stats in Detroit in the near future. I think that he has a better chance to flourish here, but some of his stats are probably boosted in Detroit because he was one of the better options offensively there. Here, he is surrounded by a lot more talent which means he could be seeing less targets since the ball could be spread around more. I feel like his ceiling is Kittle, but it remains to be seen if we’ll see that before the end of the season, IMO.

That’s fair, but the flip side is that he’s going to draw significantly less attention here because of how good the other weapons are and because he’s in a better scheme. I’m very optimistic.

43 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That 2nd round pick in 2023 is a big loss no question, I have them getting Olusegun Oluwatimi Michigan SR C, but he could go late 1st or earlier than their 2nd round pick as well because he is one of the best centers in the draft.  Maybe the Vikings should target him in the mid to late 1st, that along with Phillips the CB out of Utah.

focus, my man.

this isn't a Draft thread. but we do have one just for that, and we'd love to read your insights there.

• Like 3

does Hock get more or less catches than when he was with Detroit? does he help our other receivers to be open more, or do they help him to receive targets?

who cares who gets the catch? as long as Cousins has lots of options and defenses get spread more thinly. that's what he brings to the table.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2