Vikings trade for TJ Hockenson

swede700

I don't if this means anything about his blocking skills, but the OL coaches he has had for his entire career (I'm making a big leap that they are the ones helping out teaching run-blocking for the TEs and not necessarily just solely the TE coach) are both former Vikings' OL coaches...Jeff Davidson and Hank Fraley.  

On 11/1/2022 at 9:37 AM, Heimdallr said:

we basically swapped a 2nd for a 4th, right? doesn't seem like a lot

That's especially true given that The Vikings' 2nd and 3rd Rounders will be very late in those rounds, and Detroit is currently in the spot to receive the first choice in all rounds, and not likely to end up more than a couple choices below that.  So both the 4th Rounders, or one 4th and one 5th Rounders will all be at, or near the very top of their round.  That translates (at an average of the various valuation formulae) to The Vikings have giving up roughly a net single choice near the bottom of The 3rd Round for Hockenson.  That is roughly what they had hoped to spend for acquiring their field-stretching (J.J. opening) WR.  They got someone who can help in that area, while also getting some additional help for their running game, and filling a roster need to cover for Irv Smith's IR period, AND provide a young, high-level player, just starting into his prime years, as one of the league's best at his position, under team control for, at least, 3.5 years.  This deal was a great bargain, EVEN if The Vikings can't work out an extension to his contract, have to pay him the $9.6 million for 2023, and are forced to franchise him for the two years after that.  That seems a lot better to me than trading away more draft assets for the older Brandin Cooks, and dealing with his much higher salary, or paying more draft assets for Chase Claypool, and dealing with what would also be significantly higher salary requirements over the long haul.  If Hockenson can stay relatively healthy going forward, I think this trade will be better for The Vikings than picking up one of the available WR would have been, assuming the Vikings pick up another speedy WR in next year's draft.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Big guy with soft hands that can leap and stretch. check out the catch at 2:01.

and... experienced at playing the Packer and Bears...

The other thing I noticed, besides TJ's hands is Goffs accuracy. He is a noticeably better thrower of the ball than when he was with the Rams.  He's had some good coaching. 

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Big guy with soft hands that can leap and stretch. check out the catch at 2:01.

and... experienced at playing the Packer and Bears...

Love it.

He did seem to get schemed open a lot, but he has great feet and great awareness for finding the soft spot in the zone.

My favorite was the fake sit down drawing up the LB and then the cut out to get away from him at about 2:27ish. If the other defender wasnt there to stop him he likely breaks that for a good gain.

Still super pumped for the trade. Cant wait to see what he can do in purple, though i know it will take time to get up to speed. Sunday cant come fast enough!

• Like 3

On 11/2/2022 at 11:41 PM, CWood21 said:

Depends on what you consider a decent comp pick.  Using OTC's projection, a 3rd round pick is $16.5M+ which would be the 2nd highest paid TE behind Darren Waller.  4th round is probably somewhere north of $10M which would make him a top 12 highest paid TE which seems about right.  I'd feel comfortable projecting him as a 4th round compensatory pick.

4th round pick added onto everything we also got in return, even if he turned out to just be a rental wouldn’t be terrible. 

while I get this “all in” mindset. With the Vikings because of our division right now and our record….. I’m not sure Hock is going to be that stick that gets us over the other NFC teams yet

Hopefully this pickup can bring the team to another level, enough ***** footing around being just on the brink of winning and losing.  With Hockenson they have a legit middle of the field big body receiving weapon they have not had all year and they filled a void of probably the 2nd biggest issue on the team outside of slot corner.  The guy is big, tall and can make legit high point catches in traffic and be physical.  It should be amazing for the production of everyone around them because they will not be able to focus on Jefferson as much and if they do the middle of the field will be open with Hockenson, not to mention on play action fakes what can be done with Cook and Hockenson.

It should be great and should take the team to another level.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

4th round pick added onto everything we also got in return, even if he turned out to just be a rental wouldn’t be terrible. 

while I get this “all in” mindset. With the Vikings because of our division right now and our record….. I’m not sure Hock is going to be that stick that gets us over the other NFC teams yet

I don't see him being a rental.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

...enough ***** footing around being just on the brink of winning and losing. 

please guys... all of us... let's not start posting this way, with veiled profanity.

this site has always had a ban against profane language and also against subverting it in this manner. the GB forum here is rife with this, and it's just cheap vulgarity.

let's be better than that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I think this is a smart move for the present and future. It should improve both facets of the offense if Hock can find his inner Kleinsasser again. Even if he's only average at run-blocking, that will be an improvement over what Irv has given us. If we extend him, we got a top flight starter for the equivalent of a third round pick. If we let him go, we probably get a 4th round compensatory pick. 

You are correct though, this does not get us past the Eagles or make us significantly better than Dallas. Of course, the only way to improve the team right now is to sign free agents. Ndamukong Suh and Odell Beckham Jr. would be great gets, and wouldn't require long-term deals, but their pricetags aren't easy to fit under the cap. However, Sheldon Richardson and Will Fuller are both still available. Fuller isn't great, but he's a deep threat and we currently don't have that. I can't help but think that Richardson would be an upgrade at one of the DE spots. While they aren't Suh and OBJ, I do thinkg Sheldon and Fuller would improve the team. 

Just have to hope Booth or Evans can step up and play slot at a better level than Sullivan has. 

• Like 3