Bears trade for Chase Claypool

beardown3231

Claypool is an interesting receiver. A very promising freshman and sophomore season that might appear to be his peak, but the Steelers offense is the worst I’ve ever seen it and explains the plateau. He’s outperforming in the league from what I saw at ND and expected (which is often the case with ND players lol). I think personality wise, he becomes fast friends with Fields and actually gels the offense together more, he draws people off of Mooney, and opens our offense more. I don’t expect a substantial difference from him being here (at least this season) but he’s unquestionably higher quality than every WR but Mooney. 

54 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

i honestly wouldn't hate giving juju a deal to play power slot, with Mooney and CC on the outside and VJ12 getting all the gadget type plays. 

also, would like to see them snag Gesecki with all their FA money as a move TE and have Kmet play the role of #2/blocker

Assuming we’re paying both Mooney and Claypool over the next 18 months I’m guessing any further FA WR additions will be reasonably minor ones. From where we are right now I’d expect probably 1-2 of our existing pending FA is brought back on the cheap, plus a mid round pick and Velus.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Packer's fans - we want Claypool!

Bears get him -   Claypool was a worthless bum.  We got lucky.

I said same thing when I thought Packers were going to draft Pickens.  If they got him I was going to be like:  Ticking time bomb head case.

If we got him I was going to be like - bully boy stud.

It's a thing of beauty reading their posts rationalizing why it's a good thing they didn't get him....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dafreak said:

It's a thing of beauty reading their posts rationalizing why it's a good thing they didn't get him....

I wonder what it would have taken to outbid us? A 5th? A 4th? If you think he can transform your offense and put you back to being a playoff team/Super Bowl contender, and you don’t pull the trigger?? 

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I wonder what it would have taken to outbid us? A 5th? A 4th? If you think he can transform your offense and put you back to being a playoff team/Super Bowl contender, and you don’t pull the trigger?? 

Maybe send Roger's a tweet and ask him 🙄

Receiver A

G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD 1D Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt
41 31 282 167 2050 12.3 8 96 64 4.1 50.0 59.2% 7.3

Chase Claypool

G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD 1D Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt
39 27 264 153 2044 13.4 12 93 84 3.9 52.4 58.0% 7.7

Very interesting how close these two receivers are in terms of career stats...receiver A is Darnell Mooney.

Edited by Madmike90
  • Like 3

Cautiously optimistic about this trade. I like that Poles has been active in patching over the roster. Claypool is an interesting player with elite traits. He definitely seems like a better fit in the Bears' more vertical offense.

With that said, he comes with some off-field concerns and has never improved since entering the league. Bears also paid a significant price for him and he's only cheap through 2023.

18 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Cautiously optimistic about this trade. I like that Poles has been active in patching over the roster. Claypool is an interesting player with elite traits. He definitely seems like a better fit in the Bears' more vertical offense.

With that said, he comes with some off-field concerns and has never improved since entering the league. Bears also paid a significant price for him and he's only cheap through 2023.

If he’s the same 60 catch, 860 yard WR he was his first 2 years playing with a dead arm Roethlisberger before he got saddled with Mitch and Pickett this year who's also a RZ asset and a strong run blocker isn’t that worth a 2nd round pick? I sure think so.