Draft pick watch

Louis Friend

Thought it would be a good idea to keep track of the picks we'll have this upcoming draft. 

Rams fought hard for us but Seattle got some help. I credit the Rams effort. We get the 6th overall pick from them.  

We've got the Vikings 2nd round pick. Giants took them out in round one. So we get pick #56 from them.

Previously, we lost our 7th and have an extra 6th from the Broncos. 

Draft order per Tankathon:

1.6 via L.A. Rams

1.18 Detroit

2.49 Detroit Lions

2.56 via Minnesota Vikings

3.82 Detroit Lions

5.153 Detroit Lions

6.183 via Denver Broncos

6.194 Detroit Lions

Updated 01/15/23

Edited by Louis Friend

Lions beat the Packers. We moved from first pick to fourth pick but still alot of games left. I will never not want to beat the Packers, period. And our team needs to learn to win. 

Rams lost to the Bucs. I think they moved up one pick. Looking at top 15 pick right now, however, like I said, with the way they are playing, I don't see them winning many more. 

On 11/7/2022 at 1:33 AM, Louis Friend said:

Lions beat the Packers. We moved from first pick to fourth pick but still alot of games left. I will never not want to beat the Packers, period. And our team needs to learn to win. 

Rams lost to the Bucs. I think they moved up one pick. Looking at top 15 pick right now, however, like I said, with the way they are playing, I don't see them winning many more. 

How ironic would it be if the their first round pick ends up being higher than ours?  I suspect we will trade back with whatever pick is lower in the first round to get some additional draft capital.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

How ironic would it be if the their first round pick ends up being higher than ours?  I suspect we will trade back with whatever pick is lower in the first round to get some additional draft capital.

I'm actually of the opinion we will use the lower first and one of the seconds to move up. I think we are going to go for "quality", so to speak, over quantity. Similar to last year. I could see something like taking the qb we want with the first pick, then trading back into top 10 or even top 5 for the top defensive player.

Or...trading our top 1st rounder and a second up to get one of the qb we want. I think that is going to be the use case for the Hock trade.

I think it depends on who they see as a "must have" get our defense straight.  Some of that will be impacted by the development of Aidan Hutchinson and Josh Pascal.  This draft class seems to have some pretty good LT prospects.  Taylor Decker is 29 years old and starting to be affected injuries a little bit.  The Lions could surprise some folks and go after an elite LT.  They are usually a pretty safe bet early in the draft.

Rams are discussing possibly shutting down Stafford/Cupp for the season. That would help our draft pick immensely.

Also got some draft help today in other games, Jags beat the Ravens, Browns beat the Bucs and Panthers beat the Broncos.

We need Saints over 49ers, Raiders over Seahawks, Cardinals over Chargers and Chiefs over Rams.

Rams pick is currently at #3. Reportedly, they could shut down for the season with injuries across the board. I don't see them losing more than Houston but a couple Chicago wins could move that pick to #2. Will come down to which QB Houston likes more IMO. I don't see them passing up Stroud or Young, not even for Will Anderson. 

Cardinals lost late and NO aren't even putting up a fight. No idea why they traded a future first to move up for a WR last year with so many holes. But Raiders, Chiefs, Jags and Browns winning helped our draft position. Steelers winning tomorrow over Indy would help us as well. 

Tie breakers will be huge for draft position. Lions SOS will work against us. We need Jacksonville, Arizona, Cleveland, Pittsburgh to win some games. 

The Rams are reportedly not shutting Stafford down for the season:

https://www.nfl.com/news/matthew-stafford-s-concussion-symptoms-improving-rams-don-t-plan-to-shut-down-qb#:~:text=Despite the Rams' 3-7,the season%2C multiple sources say.

However, Allen Robinson needs season-ending foot surgery.  It is a tough break for a good player but will hobble the Rams offense even further:

https://www.nfl.com/news/rams-wr-allen-robinson-needs-foot-surgery-will-miss-rest-of-season