Draft pick watch

Louis Friend

What would you guys think if the Lions discussed trading for Zach Wilson? Say it was a 2023 5th and a 2024 4th (conditional to a 2nd). He'd have a $3.8M cap hit in 2023; $11M in 2024 with 5th year option available. 

He'd be the clear back up to Goff and humbled (you'd think) by being the #2 pick and then being traded for mid round picks. He'd get to work with Brunell, Ben Johnson, etc. to work on the simple stuff. We saw him make some big chunk plays against us. He's still a really young guy (23).

If he can show some humility, mature and play within structure he could be the QB the Jets thought they were getting at #2 overall. 

8 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

What would you guys think if the Lions discussed trading for Zach Wilson? Say it was a 2023 5th and a 2024 4th (conditional to a 2nd). He'd have a $3.8M cap hit in 2023; $11M in 2024 with 5th year option available. 

He'd be the clear back up to Goff and humbled (you'd think) by being the #2 pick and then being traded for mid round picks. He'd get to work with Brunell, Ben Johnson, etc. to work on the simple stuff. We saw him make some big chunk plays against us. He's still a really young guy (23).

If he can show some humility, mature and play within structure he could be the QB the Jets thought they were getting at #2 overall. 

I would be more inclined to trade for Davis Mills than Zach Wilson.  He has had some success and might have some untapped upside because the Texans are so bad.  At a minimum, he would be able to do for the Lions what Cooper Rush did for the Cowboys.

2 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I would be more inclined to trade for Davis Mills than Zach Wilson.  He has had some success and might have some untapped upside because the Texans are so bad.  At a minimum, he would be able to do for the Lions what Cooper Rush did for the Cowboys.

The upside of Wilson (along with the 5th year option) seems far more valuable to me than what you'd get with Mills. If you can hit on ZW, you'd get a Mahomes Jr type of player. I think his biggest problem is mental - he has the physical talents but he was talking yesterday about learning about the "business of football". It'd be a risky bet but I still wonder if it'd be worth it at that kind of price.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

The word "no" doesn't describe the no-ness of my answer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Two words: Josh. Rosen.

Shouldn

46 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Biggest game of the year for us... Denver Broncos over L.A. Rams on Christmas day to move up into top 3 pick category.

Other games to watch-

Buffalo Bills over Chicago Bears

Tampa Bay Bucs over Arizona Cardinals

Shouldn't you be bolding the Bears and Cardinals?

10 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I would be very interested in Wilson and trying to bring him along slowly but 11 million is a non starter.

23 hours ago, General Tso said:

Russell Wilson is awful. Thanks for nothing Baker.

This has been a nightmare weekend for the Lions.

On the plus-side, the Rams play the Chargers and Seahawks for their last two games.  Baker Mayfield and the Rams might feast on a bad Broncos defense but I don't see them beating the Chargers.  The Seahawks are a middle-of-the road team but that will probably still be enough to beat the Rams.  The worst the Lions can expect for the Rams to split their last two games.

Just now, Just Want A Title said:

On the plus-side, the Rams play the Chargers and Seahawks for their last two games.  Baker Mayfield and the Rams might feast on a bad Broncos defense but I don't see them beating the Chargers.  The Seahawks are a middle-of-the road team but that will probably still be enough to beat the Rams.  The worst the Lions can expect for the Rams to split their last two games.

The Seahawk game is probably a win-win for the Lions. Either a better draft pick or wildcard purposes.

I actually think that LA/LA game is sneaky.. Staley used to be McVay's DC. McVay will know how to attack him. Same thing happened with Denver, their DC used to work under McVay.