Draft pick watch

Louis Friend

3 hours ago, Superduperman said:

well, looks like Anderson and Carter are out of the picture now (although things can and often do change in draft prep season)

at #7 my hope would be Tyree Wilson or the #1 corner on the Lions board, whoever that is

Free agency could make a big difference in our draft plans.  It is tough to say where guys will be evaluated.  The good news is that there seems to be a fair number of edge-rushers and CBs in this draft.  We need both but but assuming we don't get a CB in free agency, that seems like our biggest need on defense right now.

Having a pick around #7 matches up better with respect to value on CBs.  If we stay in the current range we should be able to select Cam Smith or Christian Gonzalez.  Kelee Ringo might not make it to #7 but if he does so much the better. 

One prospect that I like who is already rising is Devon Witherspoon.  He is fast and is described as being super smart on route recognition and what receivers are trying to do.  He is listed at 6-feet tall but has a thin build but is still a good tackler.  He might be a reach at #7 but he may not make it to #18 if he continues to rise.

41 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

There are at least a dozen corners who should be in round one or two. On surface level there's no need to reach for one. But we know Holmes and staff have different criteria than message board posters.

This draft seems to have a good group of CBs.  However, lets look at the Lions CB Group:

CB#1 Jeff Okudah - Still can't be put on an island with a WR and is still struggling with the mental part of the game

CB#2 Jerry Jacobs - He is playing very well.  He is very good against #2 WRs but asking him to guard #1 WRs is asking too much

CB#3 Will Harris - He is our best slot CB but isn't that good.  

CB#4 Mike Hughes - He is good as a boundary CB but horrible in the slot.  He is a solid tackler.  He is a good depth CB

The only player in this group who is reliable and very good in their role is Jerry Jacobs.  We have no long-term solutions at CB#1 or CB#3.  Mike Hughes has a role as a depth CB as long as he doesn't play the slot.  Bottom line:  only one of our top-3 CBs is a legitimate starter and our depth isn't great.  I could see the Lions taking an CB early and in the mid-rounds.

Just to elaborate on it, here are corners who could go before pick 64:

Kelee Ringo
Cam Smith
Clark Phillips
Joey Porter
Brian Branch
Christian Gonzalez
Jaylon Jones
Devon Witherspoon
Garrett Williams
Emmanuel Forbes
Eli Ricks
DJ Turner
Antonio Johnson (listed as CB on some boards)

The Lions could look at any of these players with their 4 round 1-2 picks, ideally two of them if you ask me.

Edit: what I meant by not reaching for one is, for instance, taking Witherspoon at #7. If he's not there at 18 and they miss on him, take another one from this list.

Edited by Superduperman
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Kelee Ringo
Cam Smith
Clark Phillips
Joey Porter
Brian Branch
Christian Gonzalez
Jaylon Jones
Devon Witherspoon
Garrett Williams
Emmanuel Forbes
Eli Ricks
DJ Turner

The Lions could look at any of these players with their 4 round 1-2 picks, ideally two of them if you ask me.

Edit: what I meant by not reaching for one is, for instance, taking Witherspoon at #7. If he's not there at 18 and they miss on him, take another one from this list.

I admit to being a big fan of Devon Witherspoon as a prospect.  You see a lot of CBs with good physical tools.  He has adequate height, really good speed, good feet and good fluidity.  What separates him and what may cause his stock to rise is his proficiency in the mental aspect of the game.  His football IQ is super high.  He looks like a more athletic version of Tredavious White.  

4 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Kelee Ringo
Cam Smith
Clark Phillips
Joey Porter
Brian Branch
Christian Gonzalez
Jaylon Jones
Devon Witherspoon
Garrett Williams
Emmanuel Forbes
Eli Ricks
DJ Turner

The Lions could certainly use an infusion of talent on the back end. I would love to see them add a pair of CB’s and a safety through free agency or the draft.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 1:05 PM, Superduperman said:

Kelee Ringo
Cam Smith
Clark Phillips
Joey Porter
Brian Branch
Christian Gonzalez
Jaylon Jones
Devon Witherspoon
Garrett Williams
Emmanuel Forbes
Eli Ricks
DJ Turner

You need to look at this kid in round 2 if you want a CB. He's small but would be great in the slot and he's tough. 

Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson Cornerback TCU | NFL Draft Profile & Scouting Report (nfldraftbuzz.com)