49ers Trade RB Jeff Wilson to the Miami Dolphins

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, Gridirongreat#9 said:

I'm not a fan of this trade at all. Your two main backs have injury history, so you trade a consistent player? Not only that Wilson was pretty productive. 

He's gone after the year anyway. I just can't be that afraid of multiple injuries putting us in a position where not having Jeff Wilson puts us at a significant net loss. Especially when Wilson himself has an extensive injury history

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's gone after the year anyway. I just can't be that afraid of multiple injuries putting us in a position where not having Jeff Wilson puts us at a significant net loss. Especially when Wilson himself has an extensive injury history

I get that, but they called on Tevin Coleman as a backup. Thats desperation IMO. CMC is a great move but for a team that runs the ball as much as we do, we need reliable depth. Mitchell and Price and the unkonwn Mason doesnt do it for me. 

3 minutes ago, Gridirongreat#9 said:

I get that, but they called on Tevin Coleman as a backup. Thats desperation IMO. CMC is a great move but for a team that runs the ball as much as we do, we need reliable depth. Mitchell and Price and the unkonwn Mason doesnt do it for me. 

Mitchell is phenomenal. I have no issues with injuries occurring and this team being forced to play a young guy like TDP that we just spent a third round pick on instead of Wilson. Force shanny's hands to trust a young guy, I'm fine with that. That includes Mason too. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

Exactly, if CMC and Mitchell get hurt, then it is what it is and we are not likely to be a true contender. While Wilson is a solider player, that's all he is despite his great rushing stats this season. Getting a 5th rounder for RB3 is something you should do if given the opportunity. 

• Like 2

It was good value, and this is what makes good franchises stay relevant. We obviously had a logjam at the position and needed to recoup some draft picks after the Lance/CMC trades. So, I get it. 

What sucks though is the fact that Jeff was a perfect pairing with CMC. He is a downhill runner who is extremely powerful. CMC can do everything but he doesnt finish runs the way Jeff does. JWjr is a battering ram who had the speed to get beyond the second level. He was the perfect change of pace back to CMC with how violently he hits the hole. Sure, we couldn't run him as much to the outside as much as a guy like Mitchell, but we can use cmc/deebo on the edges in the run game, and he was someone we could use late in games/late in the season to grind down defenses. 

I also think he was a good blocker in 2RB sets. If he stuck around during our bye week, I bet he would have gotten a lot of work at FB in case 44 wasnt ready to go.

Put CMC with Jeff in the backfield and have CMC motion into the slot. Jimmy is under center, fakes the bubble screen to CMC to one side, then runs a draw with Jeff up the middle. I am sure we can do the same with 44 but it wont be exactly the same because he isnt as good of a runner as Jeff is. Youd get Jeff running downhill on a S here because as a LB youve got to try and fly down the line to chase the fake bubble screen. 

Jeff was probably my favorite RB of the Shanahan era. Mostert was up there but Jeff is just a freaking dawg.

We still have a lot of good RBs. 

Mitchell is solid. I think he played hard but I dont think he is as good as some people think he is. Perhaps in a role where he gets 10 touches max will be good for him. He got really worn down last year and was not very explosive by the end of the season. Perhaps I am holding that against him too much, especially now that he will be firmly entrenched as RB2. I never saw him as an RB1 in our offense. He is solid on third down and I know he had worked on his receiving a lot this offseason (too bad none of that was with Jimmy and we know how he has struggled hitting dump offs).

The only issue here is I see a lot of redundancy with his game and CMCs. Not to say they are the same player obliviously but a lot of mitchell's strengths seem to be CMCs as well, so that is why I think he is not as good of a pairing as Jeff was. I am not sure EM compliments CMC from that standpoint. I am obviously going to see how they use him and am willing to adjust this opinion later though lol 

We havent seen much of TDP just yet but I like what we have seen. I think his downhill, powerful style is a better fit now with CMC as I believe it represents a better change of pace than what EM can offer. I know we haven't hardly seen any of him, but he is a thick, powerful guy who seemed to get better later in games and later in the season in college. I personally think that he was drafted to be our RB1, with Mitchell as the RB2, or at least, I think the plan was to not have Mitchell be the RB1 because I do not think he can handle the wear and tear. 

I can't believe people are clammoring for Mason over TDP. Mason I am sure would do *fine* but TDP seems like the better, more skilled running back to me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, N4L said:

It was good value, and this is what makes good franchises stay relevant. We obviously had a logjam at the position and needed to recoup some draft picks after the Lance/CMC trades. So, I get it. 

What sucks though is the fact that Jeff was a perfect pairing with CMC. He is a downhill runner who is extremely powerful. CMC can do everything but he doesnt finish runs the way Jeff does. JWjr is a battering ram who had the speed to get beyond the second level. He was the perfect change of pace back to CMC with how violently he hits the hole. Sure, we couldn't run him as much to the outside as much as a guy like Mitchell, but we can use cmc/deebo on the edges in the run game, and he was someone we could use late in games/late in the season to grind down defenses. 

I also think he was a good blocker in 2RB sets. If he stuck around during our bye week, I bet he would have gotten a lot of work at FB in case 44 wasnt ready to go.

Put CMC with Jeff in the backfield and have CMC motion into the slot. Jimmy is under center, fakes the bubble screen to CMC to one side, then runs a draw with Jeff up the middle. I am sure we can do the same with 44 but it wont be exactly the same because he isnt as good of a runner as Jeff is. Youd get Jeff running downhill on a S here because as a LB youve got to try and fly down the line to chase the fake bubble screen. 

Jeff was probably my favorite RB of the Shanahan era. Mostert was up there but Jeff is just a freaking dawg.

We still have a lot of good RBs. 

Mitchell is solid. I think he played hard but I dont think he is as good as some people think he is. Perhaps in a role where he gets 10 touches max will be good for him. He got really worn down last year and was not very explosive by the end of the season. Perhaps I am holding that against him too much, especially now that he will be firmly entrenched as RB2. I never saw him as an RB1 in our offense. He is solid on third down and I know he had worked on his receiving a lot this offseason (too bad none of that was with Jimmy and we know how he has struggled hitting dump offs).

The only issue here is I see a lot of redundancy with his game and CMCs. Not to say they are the same player obliviously but a lot of mitchell's strengths seem to be CMCs as well, so that is why I think he is not as good of a pairing as Jeff was. I am not sure EM compliments CMC from that standpoint. I am obviously going to see how they use him and am willing to adjust this opinion later though lol 

We havent seen much of TDP just yet but I like what we have seen. I think his downhill, powerful style is a better fit now with CMC as I believe it represents a better change of pace than what EM can offer. I know we haven't hardly seen any of him, but he is a thick, powerful guy who seemed to get better later in games and later in the season in college. I personally think that he was drafted to be our RB1, with Mitchell as the RB2, or at least, I think the plan was to not have Mitchell be the RB1 because I do not think he can handle the wear and tear. 

I can't believe people are clammoring for Mason over TDP. Mason I am sure would do *fine* but TDP seems like the better, more skilled running back to me. 

I agree with a lot of what you said here, but I am not sure if the team looks at things in terms of a clear RB1 and RB2, etc. 

Sure, with McCaffery the lead dog is pretty clear, but I think the team gets so many injuries at RB they just try to fill the boat with players who can get the job done and fit the system.  The more the better. 

It would be nice to have a versatile and balanced 1 and 2  skill set, but one of those guys has already gotten hurt in the process of typing this sentence.  I think EM will be a better compliment to McCaffrey than a back up.  He will split time in the lower pistol role, and take a few handoffs from under center.  I also think Deebo as a second back answers a lot of the questions.  He is powerful, can catch, and can block.