College Football Playoff Rankings

cp0k2

It's that time of year again. The CFP Selection Commitee has released their first set of rankings.

The CFP Selection Commitee members for this year are:

• Mitch Barnhart - Athletics Director, University of Kentucky
  • Tom Burman - Director of Athletics, University of Wyoming
  • Boo Corrigan - Director of Athletics, NC State
  • Rick George - Director of Athletics, University of Colorado
  • Chet Gladchuk - Director of Athletics, U.S. Naval Academy
  • Jim Grobe - Retired, former head football coach for three FBS institutions (Baylor, Wake Forest, Ohio)
  • Warde Manuel - Director of Athletics, University of Michigan
  • Will Shields - Owns and operates a gymnasium and sports facility in Overland Park, Kansas
  • Gene Taylor - Director of Athletics, Kansas State
  • Joe Taylor - Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics and Community Wellness, Virginia Union University
  • John Urschel - Member of the Institute for Advanced Study
  • Rod West - Group President, Utility Operations for Entergy Corporation
  • Kelly Whiteside - Associate Professor, Montclair State University

Note, these are the bios on the Committee website. Rather strange mix, not sure how some of these people are selected or what that process is.

Edited by cp0k2
Added new rankings
  • Like 1

Did not want #1, but whatever. Absolute insanity what Heupel has done in a year and a half. Took over a team that lost 10 players on the two-deep, including probably our 4 most talented players, to the transfer portal, went 3-7 before he got here, and had two transfer portal QBs as his top two guys.

Just hoping this is more of a Clemson rise than the recent Washington one, but I'll enjoy it all the same.

• Like 1

Yeah after conference championship week, the committee always kind of picks and chooses how they want to organize the match ups at the end of the year. Everything up to that point it’s just for ratings. Tennessee and Georgia are going to be fighting for the #1 seed in next Tuesday’s ratings this week, so the debate over the top three by the committee last night was irrelevant altogether. I think Clemson being ahead of Michigan, even though I hate them, is pretty hard to explain to anyone that has watched both teams. 

• Like 1

Zero chance anyone on that committee legitimate believes that Clemson is better than Michigan, Alabama, or TCU. I get Bama has 1 loss and has shown weakness, so that one I'll let slide a bit, but the other two? Get out of here, that's garbage.

• Like 1

So it looks like I'm the minority that thinks Clemson would match up well w/ Michigan? Clemson might have the best front 7 in the country and McCarthy can't throw the ball past 10 yards. Who would win between Michigan's rushing attack and Clemson's front 7? Then you just need to worry about which version of DJ U you're going to get but it's not like Michigan's defense is anything Clemson hasn't faced.

17 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

So it looks like I'm the minority that thinks Clemson would match up well w/ Michigan? Clemson might have the best front 7 in the country and McCarthy can't throw the ball past 10 yards. Who would win between Michigan's rushing attack and Clemson's front 7? Then you just need to worry about which version of DJ U you're going to get but it's not like Michigan's defense is anything Clemson hasn't faced.

I think Michigan would run right over Clemson, who is largely untested up front. I think it's potentially a physical game that Clemson isn't built for.

19 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think Michigan would run right over Clemson, who is largely untested up front. I think it's potentially a physical game that Clemson isn't built for.

Right on. While untested, I think the talent Clemson has on their line would be fine against Michigan's rushing attack. I'm very high on Murphy, Bresee, and Simpson so that might factor into it. The way I see it playing out, I just don't think McCarthy could beat them and it would really fall in DJ's hands. He is very difficult to assess..... Klubnik though, that kid is going to be a problem unfortunately

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Oh make no mistake this is an “I told you so” post to those who disagreed with me. 

What is it specifically about this week? Cause Oregon with games against #8 (likely), #13, #25, and Oregon State would without a doubt jump Tennessee 1 spot when it's all said and done.

Tennessee is looking good though. They have no tough games remaining and TCU and/or Oregon should drop a game down the stretch. Probability of them both winning out has to be under 10%.