College Football Playoff Rankings

cp0k2

My thing is this...

If you're not going to reward conference titles, then you need to make the OOC scheduling better and have each conference play the same amount of conference games. 

Make it mandatory that you have to schedule multiple power 5 schools in your OOC and you have to be done with your OOC schedule before October. None of this Jacksonville State in November bull**** that the SEC gets away with because they only play 8 conference games.

18 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It was a rhetorical question.  Just because you win your conference championship doesn't mean you deserve to make the playoffs.  You're looking for the four best teams.  Can you say definitively that LSU right now is one of the four best teams?  Absolutely not.  Right now, the top 4 teams are pretty clearly Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, and TCU.  Since one of Ohio State and Michigan is a guaranteed loss, can you tell me definitively that LSU is better than Tennessee?  No, especially when the H2H matchup between the two of them wasn't close either.  Does LSU beating Georgia change that equation?  No.  Not only would Tennessee have one less loss than LSU, but it also loses that H2H advantage to Tennessee.

I don't disagree those are looking like the 4 best teams. I don't think LSU is one of  the best teams but they are making a case that they're playing much better football these days than they did at the beginning of the season. If they beat Georgia and have a win against Bama, what is stopping you from saying they're one of the best teams right now? Having new coaches implementing new schemes and whatnot will generally make a team start slow out of the gate. Not always the case but it does happen often.

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Sorry, should've added "the hardware from arguably (and it'd be hard to argue against) the best conference in the country". I agree it's not  a perfect thing and this is just my prediction on what would happen and what the committee would think. All in all, it just points to a much needed expansion which we are thankfully getting.

I get saying "I think this will happen", because I legitimately do, but saying "It should" is what I have an issue with. You got blown out at home and lost to FSU in New Orleans Week 1.

IMO you can't trumpet the "EVERY WEEK MATTERS AND THAT IS WHY COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS SO AWESOME!!!!!" and "They got hot and are now one of the best 4" in the same sentence. That's always been my big issue.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I get saying "I think this will happen", because I legitimately do, but saying "It should" is what I have an issue with. You got blown out at home and lost to FSU in New Orleans Week 1.

IMO you can't trumpet the "EVERY WEEK MATTERS AND THAT IS WHY COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS SO AWESOME!!!!!" and "They got hot and are now one of the best 4" in the same sentence. That's always been my big issue.

I get that and sorry for my poor choice of words earlier but, as I said to CWood, new coaches, new schemes, I think it's unfair to penalize teams for early losses in this situation. Then you also have to pose the question that if LSU has late season wins against Alabama and Georgia, do you feel they don't have a valid argument for being one of the 4 best teams right now? The early losses are absolutely ugly but the late season wins are fairly impressive. IMO, it would be an interesting conversation.

LSU ain’t that good, UGA’s gonna steal their pudding here in a few weeks anyways. What’s relevant here is Tennessee, the loser of OSU/UM, whether TCU can win out, and how USC is viewed if they do win out. Two spots for grabs under this scenario with UGA in and the UM/OSU winner in. 

• Like 1

Also let’s revisit the LSU situation. They are not going to win, but in the off chance that they do, while I think Georgia is probably the best team in the country, everyone just goes ahead and accepts them into the playoff when they don’t win their conference and loses to a 2-loss LSU but at the same time puts the OSU/UM loser out. Let’s not forget that the first CFB rankings had Ohio State ahead of Georgia. So under this unlikely scenario, you have Ohio state that has a loss to Michigan, who is then #1 in the CFB. And you have UGA with a loss to fringe playoff LSU.  Same situation for Michigan if they were to lose to Ohio State, the then 1-seed. 

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

debg886-9ca11376-2b97-4e3d-838e-e05915c2

SEC…SEC…SEC…

Edited by NateDawg

24 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I get that and sorry for my poor choice of words earlier but, as I said to CWood, new coaches, new schemes, I think it's unfair to penalize teams for early losses in this situation. Then you also have to pose the question that if LSU has late season wins against Alabama and Georgia, do you feel they don't have a valid argument for being one of the 4 best teams right now? The early losses are absolutely ugly but the late season wins are fairly impressive. IMO, it would be an interesting conversation.

It's not just the poor early loss to Florida State.  It's the fact that they got clobbered by Tennessee.  That's why I think there's 0% chance that LSU makes the playoff. Can you say definitively that LSU (even ignoring their loss to Florida State) is better than Tennessee?  No.  You hear the committee talking about their entire body of work, not just the last few weeks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Also let’s revisit the LSU situation. They are not going to win, but in the off chance that they do, while I think Georgia is probably the best team in the country, everyone just goes ahead and accepts them into the playoff when they don’t win their conference and loses to a 2-loss LSU but at the same time puts the OSU/UM loser out. Let’s not forget that the first CFB rankings had Ohio State ahead of Georgia. So under this unlikely scenario, you have Ohio state that has a loss to Michigan, who is then #1 in the CFB. And you have UGA with a loss to fringe playoff LSU.  Same situation for Michigan if they were to lose to Ohio State, the then 1-seed. 

I'm with you on the SEC chest beating is out of hand, but from my perspective UGA's resume would absolutely dwarf Michigan's in this scenario. Like, absolutely annihilate them. It's not a fair comparison. Michigan's 2nd best win right now is a 7 point win at home over 6-4 Maryland.

Just now, seminoles1 said:

I'm with you on the SEC chest beating is out of hand, but from my perspective UGA's resume would absolutely dwarf Michigan's in this scenario. Like, absolutely annihilate them. It's not a fair comparison. Michigan's 2nd best win right now is a 7 point win at home over 6-4 Maryland.

Yeah I would give Georgia a nod regardless of the outcome but it’s interesting that there’s not even a conversation when it comes to that conference but if it’s any other conference there’s a different outlook. It’s to the point that people are beating their chest for a two loss LSU that lost by 27 to UT along with FSU. 

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's not just the poor early loss to Florida State.  It's the fact that they got clobbered by Tennessee.  That's why I think there's 0% chance that LSU makes the playoff. Can you say definitively that LSU (even ignoring their loss to Florida State) is better than Tennessee?  No.  You hear the committee talking about their entire body of work, not just the last few weeks.

I mean, can you say Michigan and TCU with 1 loss are clearly better than LSU? Because those are the only 2 teams currently in front of LSU that would need to lose. They're 6th right now. If they add a win over almost unanimous #1 Georgia, how do you vault someone over that?

Let me be clear, I'm just playing devil's advocate. I do not think LSU deserves to be a playoff team.

Edited by seminoles1

There’s a really weird mindset with this whole thing. If we are going to vote LSU into the top four with the two losses they have, I’m assuming you are accepting Tennessee ahead of them. We are just going to assume three SECs then, one of which has 2-losses, 1 of them to a non-SEC power? Something has to give here. Until LSU beat Alabama, who has been shaky this season, nobody viewed them like this. I do think this is Almuth though, because I think Georgia is a very good team, and I don’t feel that way about LSU.

9 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Yeah I would give Georgia a nod regardless of the outcome but it’s interesting that there’s not even a conversation when it comes to that conference but if it’s any other conference there’s a different outlook. It’s to the point that people are beating their chest for a two loss LSU that lost by 27 to UT along with FSU. 

12-1 with a division title is a lot better than 11-1 without one. Your issue should be if people think UT is an easy decision over the loser of UM-OSU. I don't follow too closely, but I don't think I've seen that. It honestly could have even been said earlier in this thread and I missed it.

Edited by seminoles1

34 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

LSU beat Alabama in OT on a 2 PT conversion and Alabama squeaked by a subpar Texas squad with an injured backup quarterback. Is it really that elite of a win this year?

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

There’s a really weird mindset with this whole thing. If we are going to vote LSU into the top four with the two losses they have, I’m assuming you are accepting Tennessee ahead of them. We are just going to assume three SECs then, one of which has 2-losses, 1 of them to a non-SEC power? Something has to give here. Until LSU beat Alabama, who has been shaky this season, nobody viewed them like this. I do think this is Almuth though, because I think Georgia is a very good team, and I don’t feel that way about LSU.

Because Alabama and Saban have an aura, whether that's fair or not.

I'm all for the nonsense at this point. Give me 3 SEC teams. Leaving 1 out would be almost exactly like the Oklahoma-Texas-Texas Tech debate from 2008. They all beat each other, but this time we can just put them all in!

10 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Correct. Same with Ohio State. Again, zero issues with UGA making it no matter what here. I think they've shown it week in and out and also have a lot of quality wins. I would take issue with LSU, and to some degree even Tennessee depending. But with LSU, we've been told you can't have 2 losses (Penn State getting left out in favor of OSU non divisional title team, and OSU getting left out as a B1G champ in favor of a 1 loss Alabama non divisional title team) and you can't get blown out (2017/2018 OSU getting boat raced vs. Purdue).

So, they'd have BOTH in that scenario. And frankly, I'm hoping it happens to see this whole façade implode and everyone look terrible.

• Like 1