Dan Snyder Is Selling the Washington Franchise

MKnight82

I think Bezos has to be the front-runner. In the event that he wants to get in on it, he gets the team, I would imagine. No one is outbidding him, and he can promise the league everything they want in terms of capitalizing the franchise and solving the stadium problem in a heartbeat. I can imagine that some of the owners will probably harbor some reservations about that kind of massive money enter the league — but they let the Walmart people come in, so they clearly understand the value of using franchise ownership as a conduit to profitable partnership opportunities that make everyone money. There are probably literally a thousand ways that working with Amazon could enhance the league’s revenue. 

If not him, I would look at the folks who tried to get in on the Broncos. The ClearLake guys (with some backing from the Dodgers people) seem like strong candidates. The dude who owns the Sixers and Devils (Josh Harris) was a contender for Denver, as was Byron Allen — although Allen is a West Coast guy, so I’m a little skeptical that he’d want to buy this particular team (and he might not quite be able to play in the same financial sandbox as these other guys).

Mat Ishbia is an interesting option to me. He would likely need a little help to swing a purchase but he’s a former college athlete (MSU basketball) and the head of United Mortgage. He was in on the Broncos, and he’s listed at $4.65B net worth, so he could be a player. Seems like a background in competitive sports couldn’t hurt. 

Harris seems like another legit possibility, given that he’s already part of the larger NFL ownership community with a 5% stake in the Steelers, and he’s certainly proven that he can play ball in the world of pro sports. There wouldn’t be too much fear about him rocking the boat a lot if they brought him aboard.

• Like 2

I am completely floored.  I never would have believed it.  I wonder if he just got tired of being public enemy number 1.

It is one thing to hire consultants to prepare for a sale just in case, but it is an entirely different thing to announce it publicly.

Whatever the reason, great news.  I have very low expectations for the next owner other than it will not be Snyder.  I expect another entitled billionaire.  Lets just hope he/she hires good people and lets a GM run the team.

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I would look at the folks who tried to get in on the Broncos.

+1.  These guys are ready to go and just missed out. 

I still see a big conflict of interest with amazon, but the money always wins in these situations.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think Bezos has to be the front-runner. In the event that he wants to get in on it, he gets the team, I would imagine. No one is outbidding him, and he can promise the league everything they want in terms of capitalizing the franchise and solving the stadium problem in a heartbeat. I can imagine that some of the owners will probably harbor some reservations about that kind of massive money enter the league — but they let the Walmart people come in, so they clearly understand the value of using franchise ownership as a conduit to profitable partnership opportunities that make everyone money. There are probably literally a thousand ways that working with Amazon could enhance the league’s revenue. 

If not him, I would look at the folks who tried to get in on the Broncos. The ClearLake guys (with some backing from the Dodgers people) seem like strong candidates. The dude who owns the Sixers and Devils (Josh Harris) was a contender for Denver, as was Byron Allen — although Allen is a West Coast guy, so I’m a little skeptical that he’d want to buy this particular team (and he might not quite be able to play in the same financial sandbox as these other guys).

Mat Ishbia is an interesting option to me. He would likely need a little help to swing a purchase but he’s a former college athlete (MSU basketball) and the head of United Mortgage. He was in on the Broncos, and he’s listed at $4.65B net worth, so he could be a player. Seems like a background in competitive sports couldn’t hurt. 

Harris seems like another legit possibility, given that he’s already part of the larger NFL ownership community with a 5% stake in the Steelers, and he’s certainly proven that he can play ball in the world of pro sports. There wouldn’t be too much fear about him rocking the boat a lot if they brought him aboard.

The only thing with Bezos is I don't know how they get around the TNF deal.  Seems to be a huge conflict of interest. 

I find it insane there are people who genuinely believe this is a ploy to get a stadium. There is absolutely nobody out there that would be willing to purchase a minority stake in the team, hand Snyder the money to build a stadium and let him keep control of the team all the while dealing with the stuff swirling around him and the potential legal ramifications that will come along with that. Snyder is toxic and there is still the potential he gets voted out anyway. Nobody is hitching a billion dollars of their money to that wagon. This is a full sale. He's gone. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I find it insane there are people who genuinely believe this is a ploy to get a stadium. There is absolutely nobody out there that would be willing to purchase a minority stake in the team, hand Snyder the money to build a stadium and let him keep control of the team all the while dealing with the stuff swirling around him and the potential legal ramifications that will come along with that. Snyder is toxic and there is still the potential he gets voted out anyway. Nobody is hitching a billion dollars of their money to that wagon. This is a full sale. He's gone. 

Meanwhile, you have Schefter saying SNyder has the money and doesn’t need minority partners, so who is right?