Dan Snyder Is Selling the Washington Franchise

MKnight82

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

That's an interesting comparison.  I'm not sure. 

First pass guess? Must stay local rights on network, but maybe out of state/region could watch on Amazon if they wish? Amazon might just get Sunday Ticket at that point too. 

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Doesn’t need to bring on minority partners to do a stadium.  I can not find the tweet, but it was an NFL insider quoting Schefter.  

The whole reason Snyder wants to build a stadium is he wants taxpayers to build him a massive asset to pad his pockets with.  If he wanted to build a stadium with his own money he would have done it a decade ago. 

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Genuinely asking. Is it? How did Turner do it with the Braves?

Before Vince McMahon bought WCW, Eric Bischoff led a group that was negotiating to buy it, and it was supposed to stay on Turner’s network.  Once they took that off the table, Bischoff’s group was no longer interested in financing him.  

Braves/Turner is different, but each situation is going to be different based off what the network/entity wants to do.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Has enough money to continue business as usual. He doesn't have the money to build a stadium. Hell, he didn't have the money to buy out his former partners. He has money but he's pretty much broke if that makes sense. He's borrowed to the gills otherwise this never happens. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

First pass guess? Must stay local rights on network, but maybe out of state/region could watch on Amazon if they wish? Amazon might just get Sunday Ticket at that point too. 

Baseball tv rights are very different though.  Mostly regional or local channel affiliates.  Not a national deal like the NFL and Amazon. 

One thing that confuses me too is people keep pointing out he didn't pay that much to buy out the minority owners.  You can't just say they owned 40% of a $6 bil company and apply that math that isn't how business valuations work. The majority stakeholder's position is much more valuable than a minority owners position because they have all the control. 

• Like 2

Still doing some serious thinking on this.. Why? Why now? If you want to go way out on the limb where it's shaky and spindley-- Might one speculate , Property Settlement ? 

He's such a turd, he has to treat her badly at times. Maybe she wants to take the money and run . It's a wild thought but who knows. 

6 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Still doing some serious thinking on this.. Why? Why now? If you want to go way out on the limb where it's shaky and spindley-- Might one speculate , Property Settlement ? 

He's such a turd, he has to treat her badly at times. Maybe she wants to take the money and run . It's a wild thought but who knows. 

He’s being forced to

59 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Baseball tv rights are very different though.  Mostly regional or local channel affiliates.  Not a national deal like the NFL and Amazon. 

They still have Sunday Night Baseball and whatever the deal is that puts games on Fox every Saturday and some other thing with a streaming service (Apple TV maybe?). But I do think the TBS situation, at least when Turner was the controlling individual with the company, was a little different. I think they only did Braves games up until around 2007, which also happens to be right near the time Turner left Time Warner (which had previously bought all the Turner networks and such). So I’m not sure the network ever had a stake in national broadcasting while he was a controlling person with the company.

It’s definitely a tough question, though. The tricky part to me is that the conflict seems much more pronounced on the Amazon side. The NFL would seem to be much better positioned to put up a Chinese wall of sorts and have Bezos abstain from any decision-making related to Amazon issues. They have 31 other similarly positioned individuals with a similar stake, and they could certainly make major decisions without his say-so. The NFL also doesn’t have shareholders to answer to — but Amazon does, and those shareholders are entitled to assurance that the company wasn’t cutting the NFL any good deals to benefit Bezos on the franchise owner side.

He’s already stepped back his influence at Amazon substantially, as he’s no longer president and CEO. But he’s still executive chairman of the board, and presumably is still hugely influential in the company’s major decisions, so it’s not like he’s gone (as Turner was from Time Warner when they did their big baseball deal).  

48 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Any chance a new owner can lure Sean Payton here? 

This would be a very interesting development, and I’d be hugely in favor as long as they had a personnel guy in place who was making those decisions. It’s been pretty much proven that almost no coaches can handle the personnel stuff effectively, and I think Payton benefited from having Mickey Loomis as at least a peer in the Saints’ operations. 

I’d be fine with setting up the sort of “shared” decision-making we seem to see in places like KC and Seattle, as I think Payton has the kind of cachet that makes that inevitable if you’re going to get him on board. He’s not taking a job where has no meaningful input on personnel decisions. But I’d be deeply uncomfortable if we just handed him total control — as I would be with any coach. 

That would be doubly sweet, though, because it seems like a common assumption that he’s headed to Dallas at some point. If we could grab him away from them, and set ourselves up with an excellent coach in the process, that would be a hell of a way to start the post-Snyder era. 

Mike Tomlin might be another candidate, if the Pittsburgh leadership is getting anywhere near as restless as their (spoiled) fans seem to be. He’s got serious local ties, as he played at THE College of William and Mary and his son played for Maryland.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

No, Sean isn’t going anywhere without a good to great QB

That’s probably true. 

Wonder if there’s a chance Aaron Rodgers would consider coming here if we had some sort of Bezos/Payton/respected personnel guy power structure set up. We really do have the weapons to be a factor if we had a QB like that, and a couple investments on the interior OL would shore that up to the point that it would be plenty solid enough to keep him clean, given how quickly he processes things.

It would be a very interesting option to explore, whether we could be his Denver (Peyton) or Tampa (Tom).  

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

That’s probably true. 

Wonder if there’s a chance Aaron Rodgers would consider coming here if we had some sort of Bezos/Payton/respected personnel guy power structure set up. We really do have the weapons to be a factor if we had a QB like that, and a couple investments on the interior OL would shore that up to the point that it would be plenty solid enough to keep him clean, given how quickly he processes things.

It would be a very interesting option to explore, whether we could be his Denver (Peyton) or Tampa (Tom).  

Not sure Rodgers is an east coast kind of guy.