with the tank in, where do we draft

3rivers

15 minutes ago, jebrick said:

haven't EARNED a top 10 pick.  Devin Bush says hi.

The draft is a crap shoot.  How many of the top 10 picks bust or are jags?  With only 5 picks in the 2023 draft, they should follow the Bill Parcells' method of lots of picks to have lots of chances at a winner. and if they are picking top 5, they could trade down and still not be out of the top 10 and still pick up another top 50 pick.

Totally forgot about Bush…which hurts me to say.

To an extent I see your point…of course it depends on what they do in Free Agency, where they’re picking and how far they would drop and what the compensation would be and plus how the board would look

However, they lack the most talent at the positions that generally go higher in the draft…LT/CB/DL/Edge.

Teams don’t let those positions get into FA unless the contract demands are out of line.

I don’t often agree with @warfelg but if you think the guy is elite AND at a position of need…I’d be hard pressed to pass up.

The team is already full of JAGs…we see how Watt and Fitzpatrick can literally control the destiny of the team.

FA is less of a risk than the draft.  Extending players is less of a risk than the draft.  Picking young players who have not learned their craft in hopes that they are teachable and they will get it is far riskier than seeing 3+ years of NFL tape on a player.

Trading for players is one way of building a team.  They want to get proven players.  It got them a SB and now they will fall apart because of the salary cap and age.

Never trading in the draft and just picking what they need is another way.  Trading back and getting lots of picks is another way.  But when your draft fails you need FA.  when you have been playing 1/4 of your cap to a single player for so long that you can't bring in decent Fa, you totally rely on the draft.  When those picks fail it hurts worst.

You can stick with your picks and rebuild in 3-5 years getting 3 decent players at a time.  Trading away all of your talent in hopes of the draft does not work.  The Steelers need a lot of decent players quickly to rebuild within 3 years.  They still need to build a team rather than worry too much about Pickett.

23 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Trading away all of your talent in hopes of the draft does not work. 

Other than one unnamed person, I don’t see anyone promoting this.

23 minutes ago, jebrick said:

The Steelers need a lot of decent players quickly to rebuild within 3 years.

Again, don’t see much contradicting this.

24 minutes ago, jebrick said:

They still need to build a team rather than worry too much about Pickett.

Yes, which is what many are promoting. 

11 hours ago, Raidersfan1 said:

With the third pick in the 2023 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers.... Select......

Antonio Johnson S Texas A&M 🌚🤫

who make more impact on defence though? An Edge defender or a safety?  I would think almost all the time a top tier Edge. CB though, if you can get lockdown, thats worth it, but try telling this team even what such an idea is, drafting CB that can cover.

• 4 weeks later...

seeing the team play better and having what appears to be an easy schedule from here on (somewhat) it appears like 4 more wins is probable, not set on which games, but they aren't playing Bills, KC, Eagles etc anymore. .

I just realized something though. How did we end up with the Eagles as the only team from the NFC east? Is not the 17th game, so lets make it the most difficult ?

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

seeing the team play better and having what appears to be an easy schedule from here on (somewhat) it appears like 4 more wins is probable, not set on which games, but they aren't playing Bills, KC, Eagles etc anymore. .

I just realized something though. How did we end up with the Eagles as the only team from the NFC east? Is not the 17th game, so lets make it the most difficult ?

Last year the Eagles were a team that stumbled into the playoffs like the Steelers did.