"Kick it on third down in case of a bad snap"

patriotsheatyan

In situations where kicking a field goal ends regulation or at least takes it to he half, it is normal to see a team kick on 3rd down in case there is a bad snap, so they can down the ball or prevent a bad kick.

Has this ever actually happened? It just seems idiotic. It has to be what, a once in a decade occurance?

3 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

In situations where kicking a field goal ends regulation or at least takes it to he half, it is normal to see a team kick on 3rd down in case there is a bad snap, so they can down the ball or prevent a bad kick.

Has this ever actually happened? It just seems idiotic. It has to be what, a once in a decade occurance?

Has it ever happened? Good question.

I guess better safe than sorry is the attitude?

5 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

I think part of the idea is that something could happen on whatever play you run on 3rd down too. How many times has a sack or holding call taken a team out of FG range? A lot more than a bad snap on a FG I’m sure.

5 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Even if it's never happened, that's really not the point. It isn't about whether or not it's happened before, it's about the chance it can happen this time. If you're not going to use that third down for anything particularly necessary or productive otherwise, then there's no loss whatsoever by doing that.

It's one of those situations where it's better safe than sorry, and there's no compelling argument not to do it (assuming you already plan on settling for a field goal, there aren't time considerations, you're already confident about the field goal, etc.)

I’ve seen the Pats kick on third down before IIRC, but it wasn’t to end the game - albeit, it was close. 

I don’t see why under the right circumstances, it would be a bad choice. Gives you a little wiggle room in potential game-ruining mistakes.

I know you're talking about field goals, but this thread reminded me of a play from the 1988 season with the Eagles.

The quick kick was still a real strategy back in the late '80s. John Elway and Randall Cunningham each punted three times that season. Against that awesome Vikings defense, Buddy Ryan had Cunningham punt on second-and-18 from the Eagles 14. Yes, second down, The punt went out of bounds 58 yards downfield at the Minnesota 28, which is a pretty good flip of field position, but still... second down?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2017/1988-dvoa-ratings-and-commentary

7 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I know you're talking about field goals, but this thread reminded me of a play from the 1988 season with the Eagles.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2017/1988-dvoa-ratings-and-commentary

Just looked, two of Cunningham's three punts that season came in that game. 

I wish Pro-Football-Reference had play-by-play from back then so you could kind of see where the game was at and what kind of situation led to a punt on 2nd down. 

Archived