Could the 2007 Indianapolis Colts had repeated in Super Bowl XLII (42)?

Championshiporbust

Remember, the 2007 Indianapolis Colts were 13-3, won their fifth AFC South championship, and a year later surprising the (12-4) New England Patriots in the AFC CG and the Chicago Bears in Super Bowl XLI (41). The '07 Colts lost to the San Diego Chargers 28-24 in the AFC DIV after winning a 1st round bye and home-field in the AFC DIV. I always thought that they could have beaten the 16-0 Patriots and went all the way. The media would have loved a Manning brothers bowl ('07 Giants vs. '07 Colts), than the '07 Patriots, who were already despised by many after winning 3 Super Bowls since 2001. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Indianapolis_Colts_season

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/chargers-stun-colts-28-24-article-1.345435

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/14/sports/football/14patriots.html

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Isn't this the year they lost to Billy Volek and Michael Turner replacing Rivers and Tomlinson in a home playoff game against the Chargers? 

Didn’t Volek come in really late in that game? Could be wrong. It was so long ago. I remember SDs defense made a great stop to end the game when Peyton was driving them down the field. I’ve long thought with a healthy Rivers they win the Super Bowl that year. Should’ve the year before too

Could they have? The Giants managed to do it, so probably not too unrealistic. It's not hard to imagine a 13-3 team, who we seem to already be assuming beats SD, pulls off one upset against NE and then pulls off a win against a Giants team they would be favored against. They would probably lose to NE and be 50/50 against NY, but obviously this is the NFL so it can happen.

On 11/20/2017 at 10:18 PM, PapaShogun said:

I don't see the Colts or Chargers (even with a healthy Rivers and Tomlinson) going into New England and beating them for the AFC crown in 2007. 

The Chargers only lost that game by 9 points anyways. If they convert some of those redzone appearances into TD's instead of FG's, that game could've had a diferent outcome. I'm inclined to think that the Chargers would've had a very good chance at winning with a healthy team.

1 hour ago, Bolts223 said:

The Chargers only lost that game by 9 points anyways. If they convert some of those redzone appearances into TD's instead of FG's, that game could've had a diferent outcome. I'm inclined to think that the Chargers would've had a very good chance at winning with a healthy team.

Well...they were healthy in week 2 against the Patriots and got their *** kicked 38-14. 

Rivers has never beaten a Brady led team in 7 tries. I mean, they could have won that game via any given Sunday, but I think in most cases Patriots win. 

37 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Well...they were healthy in week 2 against the Patriots and got their *** kicked 38-14. 

Rivers has never beaten a Brady led team in 7 tries. I mean, they could have won that game via any given Sunday, but I think in most cases Patriots win. 

The Patriots in 2010 beat the Jets 45-3, then lost in the playoffs.

I know, different teams and different season. But the Patriots blowing out the Chargers in week 2 is irrelevant in the context of what could've happened 18 weeks later. 

Also, the Patriots by the end of the 2007 season were not nearly as dominant as they were at the beginning.

Weeks 1-11

@ Jets: Win  38-14

Vs Chargers: Win 38-14

Vs Bills: Win 38-7

@ Bengals: Win 34-13

Vs Browns: Win 34-17

@ Cowboys: Win 48-27

@ Dolphins: Win 49-28

Vs Redskins: Win 52-7

@ Colts: Win 24-20

@ Bills: Win 56-10

You can see here that with the exception of the Colts game, the Patriots completely destroyed and obliterated everyone and everything in its path. This would not be the case in the second half of the season.

Vs Eagles: Win 31-28

@ Ravens: Win 27-24

Vs Steelers: Win 34-13

Vs Jets: Win 20-10

Vs Dolphins: Win 28-7

@ Giants: Win 38-35

The Patriots by the end of the season were not nearly as dominant as they were in the beginning. Add that to the fact that the Chargers got significantly better as the season had progressed (Started 1-3, finished 11-5) and you have a potential upset on your hands if the Chargers come into that game healthy. We will never truly know what would've happened, but I am inclined to think it could've gone either way considering the Chargers still made a game of it despite being severely hobbled.

I remember being confidents against Peyton at home, but NOT against him away. So if they figured out a way of also going undefeated with better margins and forced us to go to Indie - absolutely they could have beat us, and then he would have beaten his little ^ of a brother :D

On 11/20/2017 at 8:59 PM, lancerman said:

They were the only team I feared, but they slowed down later in the year and without Harrison would have struggled to get by the Pats in Gillette. So I doubt it. 

Harrison was healthy by the end of the year. He played against the Chargers in the playoff game. In addition, he wasn't that great of a playoff performer, anyway. I don't know if he would have been that critical to Indy. When they came back against the Pats the year before, he really didn't make a big impact.

Archived