Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

In all seriousness, it's pretty crazy that GB has had either Starr, Favre or Rodgers running the offense for something like 40 of the past 60 NFL seasons.

and the early 80's with Lynn Dickey at QB, Lofton, Jefferson, Coffman, Gerry Ellis was a really good offense

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

and the early 80's with Lynn Dickey at QB, Lofton, Jefferson, Coffman, Gerry Ellis was a really good offense

To this day, those were my favorite teams to watch.  I assume that is mostly because I wasn't old enough yet to be cynical.

My first ever Packers game was in 1984 vs the Air Coryell Super Chargers, which happened to be my 2nd favorite team at the time due to their awesome uniforms.  I vaguely remember spending much of the game yelling at Dickey for not getting the ball to Jefferson, who always seemed to be running wide open.  The more things change... 

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Gute? I guess my hope is that he is fired after the season. As for Stroud, he's the best QB prospect I've seen in awhile. I've been touting him on here since last year. He has a cannon, yet with a very compact throwing motion/quick release. Stout frame. Cold weather QB. 

There's 0% chance that Gute gets fired this offseason.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

Will going 3-13 enable us the #1 pick?

Even tho MLF signed an extension it won't save his fanny if we go 3-13.  Just ask Coach Chryst in Madison.

Coach Chryst in Madison the past couple years "earned" his firing.  He lost on the recruiting trail, his offense was old and stale and it was time.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

There's 0% chance that Gute gets fired this offseason.

I think there is about a 1% chance he gets fired. Murphy doesn't want to look bad for firing the guy he hired. But I think Gute SHOULD be fired.

My nightmare scenario is that the Packers lose all the rest, go 3-14, end up with the first pick in the 2023 draft, and Gute is still GM. CJ Stroud, the best QB prospect in years, is sitting there ready to be our next great franchise QB for the next 12-15 years, and of course Gute can't draft him or else he will look really bad, having already made a questionable pick of Love. He either trades out of the first pick or picks some other position at pick #1.  

So to avoid this nightmare scenario, I have motivation to keep rooting for the Packers to win more games this year. :)

Edited by DWhitehurst

35 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

I think there is about a 1% chance he gets fired. Murphy doesn't want to look bad for firing the guy he hired. But I think Gute SHOULD be fired.

My nightmare scenario is that the Packers lose all the rest, go 3-14, end up with the first pick in the 2023 draft, and Gute is still GM. CJ Stroud, the best QB prospect in years, is sitting there ready to be our next great franchise QB for the next 12-15 years, and of course Gute can't draft him or else he will look really bad, having already made a questionable pick of Love. He either trades out of the first pick or picks some other position at pick #1.  

So to avoid this nightmare scenario, I have motivation to keep rooting for the Packers to win more games this year. :)

Good thing is your nightmare scenario won't happen.  No GM in their right mind would pass up on a franchise QB simply because they're afraid of the optics of taking one before.  I mean, how many people still complain about Ted Thompson taking Brian Brohm after taking Aaron Rodgers in the first round?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

Will going 3-13 enable us the #1 pick?

Probably not.  Right now, we've got Houston (1-6-1), Carolina (2-7), Las Vegas (2-6), Pittsburgh (2-6), and Detroit (2-6) that would need to win at least one more game just to match in the win column.  That's not including the other 7 teams who have 3 wins.  Looking at Houston's schedule, I don't see any chance they win more than 1 game this year.  Two if they're absolutely lucky.  Carolina has a couple of winnable games, but until they get consistent QB play that's not likely.  It feels like at some point they'll get on track and get closer to a .500 record.  Pittsburgh just not a good football team, and they're gonna go through growing pains with Pickett.  That probably doesn't translate to many wins.  Detroit's a bad team, but they've got a couple of winnable games but I'm not expecting more than one or two more wins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

Somewhere in there was Brockington and Lane at running backs.....John Jefferson never became the complementary receiver to Lofton that the Packers expected and needed, so his stay and influence in GB was short lived...

28 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Probably not.  Right now, we've got Houston (1-6-1), Carolina (2-7), Las Vegas (2-6), Pittsburgh (2-6), and Detroit (2-6) that would need to win at least one more game just to match in the win column.  That's not including the other 7 teams who have 3 wins.  Looking at Houston's schedule, I don't see any chance they win more than 1 game this year.  Two if they're absolutely lucky.  Carolina has a couple of winnable games, but until they get consistent QB play that's not likely.  It feels like at some point they'll get on track and get closer to a .500 record.  Pittsburgh just not a good football team, and they're gonna go through growing pains with Pickett.  That probably doesn't translate to many wins.  Detroit's a bad team, but they've got a couple of winnable games but I'm not expecting more than one or two more wins.

Looking at the schedule, do you honestly see GB winning another game at this point?

32 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The Colts with Ehlinger might give them a win. And maybe the Jaguars/Commanders/Titans slip up? Luckily all four of these teams have shaky QB play, so they could stumble into 3 wins total. Carolina has a worse schedule ahead of them than the Texans.

However, to your point, the Packers will probably stumble into a few wins even though losing out would be better. 

11 minutes ago, chefj85 said:

Looking at the schedule, do you honestly see GB winning another game at this point?

I think they've got two very winnable games (at Chicago, vs Detroit) plus I think the home game coming off a bye against the Rams could also be another win.

• Like 1