Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

Just now, Old Guy said:

Do 99% of the moves in the NFL involve the movement of that many draft picks for one guy? Your statement is hyperbole or are you stating the 49ers move for McCaffrey was a long-term play vs. thinking they could win it all this year by doing it? We both know the answer to that question. 

Did I miss something that McCaffrey is a FA ? He's insanely cheap for the next 3 years. 

47 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Did I miss something that McCaffrey is a FA ? He's insanely cheap for the next 3 years. 

12 million a year for the next three years. If you think his agent isn't going to ask for new money this off season or next, you're not as smart as I give you credit for being. 

Edited by Old Guy

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

My point is quite simple! They went all in when Jimmy G was running the show. You know, Jimmy G, the guy they moved on from because they knew he couldn't get them over the hump.

The McCaffrey move was desperation to get over the hump with a QB you desperately tried to get rid of the past off season. You call it a 'great trade.' I call it giving up a bunch for a guy with injury history and making 12 million a year for the next three years. A guy who didn't get you over the hump, regardless of circumstances. You make a move like that, it's to win it all. They didn't. 

Who was behind center didn't make much difference, see Purdy, Brock, AKA Mr. Irrelevant. 

Where was this 'great run game' last week? 24/81. 

It is almost like the defense knew the QB was physically unable to throw the ball and sold out to stop the run.

Oh, wait...they DID know that.

No issue with the trade or CM3.  He's very inexpensive for them now...on that contract.  

Edited by vegas492
PackerRaymond said it better...sorry.

58 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

12 million a year for the next three years. If you think his agent isn't going to ask for new money this off season or next, you're not as smart as I give you credit for being. 

Man, I feel like you are a lot smarter than this statement.  Much more.

McCaffrey has 3 years and $36M left on his deal.  Which runs until he is 29 years old.  He is in his prime.

All of that money is salary.  So very, very easy to move around to create even more cap room.  Or ripe for a little extension.

Not that I know what San Fran gave away for the elite RB in the Prime of his career, but I looked it up.

2023 2, 3 and 4th round picks.

2024 5th round pick.

With that contract and how he looked last year....do you think he gets more than that in a trade right now, if San Fran wanted to move him?  I think he would.

26 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Man, I feel like you are a lot smarter than this statement.  Much more.

McCaffrey has 3 years and $36M left on his deal.  Which runs until he is 29 years old.  He is in his prime.

All of that money is salary.  So very, very easy to move around to create even more cap room.  Or ripe for a little extension.

Not that I know what San Fran gave away for the elite RB in the Prime of his career, but I looked it up.

2023 2, 3 and 4th round picks.

2024 5th round pick.

With that contract and how he looked last year....do you think he gets more than that in a trade right now, if San Fran wanted to move him?  I think he would.

Hell no, they aren't getting more than that. Carolina wanted a 1st for him, and nobody would give them one. 

You called out my statement, then in your response affirmed it. LOL

22 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Hell no, they aren't getting more than that. Carolina wanted a 1st for him, and nobody would give them one. 

You called out my statement, then in your response affirmed it. LOL

$12M, all in salary, per year for the next 3 years for McCaffrey.  

If you don't like that contract, you gotta hate the Jones deal. 

Jones is $36M over the next two seasons.  CM3 is $36M over the next 3.  And CM3's deal is oh so very easy to rework.

All salary, no bonus money so no potential dead cap.  Very reworkable.   Most importantly, he played 20 games this season after playing 10 total over the previous two seasons combined - a major concern pre-San Fran trade.  Healthy, a workable contract, and the best receiving back in football.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Jones is $36M over the next two seasons.  CM3 is $36M over the next 3.  And CM3's deal is oh so very easy to rework.

Don't remember saying I didn't like that contract but I'm old and don't always remember. What I said was his agent was going to want some new money since Carolina ate the SB money.

For the record, I didn't like the Jones contract when he signed it. Love the guy, not paying the position. I'm for moving Jones this off season and I think he's a hell of a player. 

If I'm GM (one of thousands of reasons I'm not) I don't pay non-premium positions big deals. Running backs are a dime a dozen if you have a good offensive line and a quarterback who can pass so teams can't stack the box. 

Putting my Bison bias aside, Cody Mauch just feels like a Packers type of player. Very versatile. Gritty and likes to do the dirty work. He has practiced at every OL spot at the Senior Bowl this week. I think he will end up as an NFL guard but he can get you through a spell at tackle if needed. I wouldn't be mad with him in the second and if I do any mocks this year I will likely have him in that spot. 

https://www.outkick.com/cody-mauch-north-dakota-state-nfl-draft-senior-bowl-viral-transformation-food/

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

All salary, no bonus money so no potential dead cap.  Very reworkable.   Most importantly, he played 20 games this season after playing 10 total over the previous two seasons combined - a major concern pre-San Fran trade.  Healthy, a workable contract, and the best receiving back in football.  

Good deal for them so far and an obvious fit in the system. His biggest concern is availability and if he remains in uniform, he’s one of the best. The problem is SF has chewed through their roster with injuries and that has generally derailed what has been a perennial contender. It could just be bad luck but they have to be looking at what they can do to try to avoid the injuries that have plagued them. I won’t put money on CM playing a full season next year. 

On 2/3/2023 at 1:42 PM, vegas492 said:

Yeah, it's a friggin' steal for San Francisco.  Part of the reason why San Francisco had to give up as much as they did.