Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

13 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I agree there.  He's fast, but he doesn't have that extra top end gear.  That's the only thing I can think of that he's missing.

I'll also say that I do not in any way expect Gute to take Bijan at 15, but if he did I would understand why.  He's a player that never needs to leave the field on offense and you can do a ton with him with since he's such a good receiver.

Totally agree.  I don't think he's a top of the draft RB...but he should be a first round pick...and if it is later in the draft, pick 20 or later, someone is going to get a cornerstone piece to their offense for 4-5 years.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Totally agree.  I don't think he's a top of the draft RB...but he should be a first round pick...and if it is later in the draft, pick 20 or later, someone is going to get a cornerstone piece to their offense for 4-5 years.

Interesting to keep in mind for the "worst case scenario" draft that I like to try to do every year.  Assuming we have pick 15 and no trade partners, and nobody else tickles our fancy, is Robinson a horrible pick at 15?  I generally don't think RBs are worth it.  BUT, if you get 8 years out of that pick, is it really a waste?

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Interesting to keep in mind for the "worst case scenario" draft that I like to try to do every year.  Assuming we have pick 15 and no trade partners, and nobody else tickles our fancy, is Robinson a horrible pick at 15?  I generally don't think RBs are worth it.  BUT, if you get 8 years out of that pick, is it really a waste?

He's dynamic, but I don't know a true NFL comparable for him potential wise.  Haven't seen enough of Robinson.  If Jones is not back I would not rule him out at 15, it all comes down to the team board.  Especially so if we gain multiple other high picks via trade.  Minions will tell you we also do not draft Safety in the 1st Round and we don't draft 24 year old rookies in the 1st Round, and they'd be wrong about that too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Man.  Tough question.  I don't feel like I know the draft well enough to really answer that.

So I'll keep it general.  Yeah, I reluctantly say that is a waste.  The board would have to devastated and the draft pretty devoid of talent.

And that is only because I don't see Robinson in the same light like I did Zeke Elliot and Saquon Barkley.  

Dude runs in the lower 4.4's?  Now I'm more interested.

And...I'd certainly take him over a tight end with that pick, assuming the board is devoid of talent.

1 hour ago, 15412 said:

He's dynamic, but I don't know a true NFL comparable for him potential wise.  Haven't seen enough of Robinson.  If Jones is not back I would not rule him out at 15, it all comes down to the team board.  Especially so if we gain multiple other high picks via trade.  Minions will tell you we also do not draft Safety in the 1st Round and we don't draft 24 year old rookies in the 1st Round, and they'd be wrong about that too.  

The only reason why I wouldn't want to draft Bijan at 15 is because of how criminally underused Aaron Jones has been under MM and now Lafleur. Don't want to waste pick #15 on a player that we won't feature in our offense. There's no reason we shouldn't of used Aaron Jones the last 3 years like Shannahan uses CMC. Yes salty Aaron Jones fantasy owner 3 years running

Edited by Mdpackfan22
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Man.  Tough question.  I don't feel like I know the draft well enough to really answer that.

So I'll keep it general.  Yeah, I reluctantly say that is a waste.  The board would have to devastated and the draft pretty devoid of talent.

And that is only because I don't see Robinson in the same light like I did Zeke Elliot and Saquon Barkley.  

Dude runs in the lower 4.4's?  Now I'm more interested.

And...I'd certainly take him over a tight end with that pick, assuming the board is devoid of talent.

I am not sure that many of us know the draft that well right now.  Give the combine and pro day circuits time to give us all the info except their SSN, and we will kind of have a decent order. 

Let's say that I you can promise that Robinson is an exact clone of Aaron Jones.  Is that too little of a return for a first round pick?  Keep in mind, our first round pick the year we drafted Jones was used to trade down and we got Kevin King.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I get what you're saying, but in my mind the bigger problem is that you'd be taking an RB at 15 while already having two on the roster. 

And more importantly, I think there are much greater needs everywhere else. 

WR - Need

Oline - Bakh and Nijman could be gone next year or the year after. Runyan a 2023 FA, Myers was a bottom 5 center in the league last year. 

TE - Need (although I think you could make the case that RB is more important than TE)

Dline - outside of Kenny, who do you trust to play meaningful snaps? Wyatt/Slaton, but who after that?

Edge - Gary is coming off the ACL, Preston could be a cap casualty any year and was ranked 55th/120 on PFF. Enagbare is a nice rotational piece, but is this room a strength on the team?

Safety - Amos and Savage both had pretty rough years, it wouldn't surprise me if they're both gone. Rudy and Leavitt are both free agents. 

So in conclusion, I'm not really opposed to taking a playmaking RB in the first round, but the idea that we can't fill a need anywhere else seems unlikely.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am not sure that many of us know the draft that well right now.  Give the combine and pro day circuits time to give us all the info except their SSN, and we will kind of have a decent order. 

Let's say that I you can promise that Robinson is an exact clone of Aaron Jones.  Is that too little of a return for a first round pick?  Keep in mind, our first round pick the year we drafted Jones was used to trade down and we got Kevin King.

That would not be a waste for a first round pick.  Nope.

But in our situation with Jones and Dillon here?  Yes it would be.  Completely different story if we were to part ways with Jones one way or the other.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I get what you're saying, but in my mind the bigger problem is that you'd be taking an RB at 15 while already having two on the roster. 

WR - Need

Oline - Bakh and Nijman could be gone next year or the year after. Runyan a 2023 FA, Myers was a bottom 5 center in the league last year. 

TE - Need (although I think you could make the case that RB is more important than TE)

Dline - outside of Kenny, who do you trust to play meaningful snaps? Wyatt/Slaton, but who after that?

Edge - Gary is coming off the ACL, Preston could be a cap casualty any year and was ranked 55th/120 on PFF. Enagbare is a nice rotational piece, but is this room a strength on the team?

Safety - Amos and Savage both had pretty rough years, it wouldn't surprise me if they're both gone. Rudy and Leavitt are both free agents. 

So in conclusion, I'm not really opposed to taking a playmaking RB in the first round, but the idea that we can't fill a need anywhere else seems unlikely.

Look at this pretty, well thought out response.

It's hooey.

Gimme shiny weaponz!  Gimmee. Gimmee. Gimmee.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

WR - Need

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for a RB in round one.  I wouldn't have paid Jones, and I probably wouldn't have drafted Dillon in the second either.  Though, I don't recall who I wanted in the second round after this many years.  

But I am guessing that there is a not too far fetched scenario where Robinson is the best player available for the Packers at 15, and we can't find a trade partner.  And I guess I am trying to gauge the disappointment should that happen.  To me that isn't a "throw a tantrum" worthy pick (not sure the Packers have had one of those in a long time), but probably a "we can make that work" type of pick.  

OR he runs a 4.31 and gets picked 4th and we all look like idiots.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for a RB in round one.  I wouldn't have paid Jones, and I probably wouldn't have drafted Dillon in the second either.  Though, I don't recall who I wanted in the second round after this many years.  

But I am guessing that there is a not too far fetched scenario where Robinson is the best player available for the Packers at 15, and we can't find a trade partner.  And I guess I am trying to gauge the disappointment should that happen.  To me that isn't a "throw a tantrum" worthy pick (not sure the Packers have had one of those in a long time), but probably a "we can make that work" type of pick.  

I guess at that point I'd just take whoever the next defensive player is, or even the next WR is. I just hate the first round RB so much. It costs you draft capital on the front end and salary cap on the back end.

4 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I guess at that point I'd just take whoever the next defensive player is, or even the next WR is. I just hate the first round RB so much. It costs you draft capital on the front end and salary cap on the back end.

Absolutely fair take.  

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

From that little cut up I saw of Robinson?  I'm going to be surprised if he runs over a 4.5.

But he is going to crush the agility and quickness portion of the drills.  

Given the hands, pass protection as well as the gifted vision he has...you are right...if we do take him, there should be no tantrum.  He'd be a workhorse and cornerstone piece for sure.

Now...as far as tantrums go?  Just going from my memory, God did I hate the Kenny Clark pick.  But I threw no tantrum.  But I did not like that pick.

The tantrum was when we took Justin Harrel back when I knew very little about "premium positions".  I wanted Greg Olsen.  And we had a need at TE.  I saw Olson doing the combine and maybe some other skill work.  He was amazing.  And we took a kid who was injured.  But whether I was right or wrong, I know I threw a tantrum.

I remember feeling almost physically ill when we took Love.  I had a semi tantrum, then I came here to vent and all was good.

I remember feeling, like, WWWWhhhhaaaattt? When we took Quay this year.  Non premium, kindda high.  But no tantrum.

I did not want Gary.  But no tantrum.  Had no idea who or what a Jaire Alexander was besides being short.

I remember being PO'd about passing on Watt.  But I was pretty good with King.  (Ouch)

Randall...yah...I pretty much threw a tantrum on that one.  Knew that one was a bad, bad pick from the get go.

17 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

From that little cut up I saw of Robinson?  I'm going to be surprised if he runs over a 4.5.

But he is going to crush the agility and quickness portion of the drills.  

Given the hands, pass protection as well as the gifted vision he has...you are right...if we do take him, there should be no tantrum.  He'd be a workhorse and cornerstone piece for sure.

Now...as far as tantrums go?  Just going from my memory, God did I hate the Kenny Clark pick.  But I threw no tantrum.  But I did not like that pick.

The tantrum was when we took Justin Harrel back when I knew very little about "premium positions".  I wanted Greg Olsen.  And we had a need at TE.  I saw Olson doing the combine and maybe some other skill work.  He was amazing.  And we took a kid who was injured.  But whether I was right or wrong, I know I threw a tantrum.

I remember feeling almost physically ill when we took Love.  I had a semi tantrum, then I came here to vent and all was good.

I remember feeling, like, WWWWhhhhaaaattt? When we took Quay this year.  Non premium, kindda high.  But no tantrum.

I did not want Gary.  But no tantrum.  Had no idea who or what a Jaire Alexander was besides being short.

I remember being PO'd about passing on Watt.  But I was pretty good with King.  (Ouch)

Randall...yah...I pretty much threw a tantrum on that one.  Knew that one was a bad, bad pick from the get go.

Dude, King + Biegel >>> Watt........  *sigh*

The last one I was really upset about was probably James Jones instead of trading for Randy Moss.  Now, I love me some James Jones.  

IIRC, I was kind of disappointed in Datone Jones, and I wasn't super pumped for Nick Perry either.  I didn't know what a Damarious Randall was in 2015, but I came around to it.  Probably shouldn't have. Wasn't a big fan of 2018 outside of Jaire, but MVS, EQ, and Donnerson are right up my alley, so I wasn't super bummed.

I didn't/don't really like the 2020 class, thought Love was a good idea but a couple years too early.  Love AJ Dillon, but Williams and Jones worked, and wasn't a use of a 2nd.  I don't know if I had a better alternative for either player at the time, and even using hindsight, I get it.  I was underwhelmed though.  I wanted Albert O over Deguara in the third.  The 6th round OL was a good idea, and one of them is pretty good.  I did really like Jonathan Garvin and Vernon Scott though.  

I loved the 2019 and 2022 drafts though.  

• Like 1