Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

33 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So I've been one of the most staunch people in here that you don't change your draft strategy whether it's Love or Rodgers at QB, but I've changed my tune. The dead cap increase that you incur for bringing back Aaron, you absolutely must be all in, like true all in. That means entertaining trading a day 1 or 2 pick for a skill player floated on the block who's on a rookie deal (definitely not going to be the plethora of options like there was last year.) Also drafting for need and not BPA, taking a pro ready player like JSN (if health checks out) and plugging him right into the starting lineup vs a more potential laden player like Van Ness who might need 1-2 years like Gary.

Basically, at it's core, bringing Rodgers back is a poor exercise when looking at long-term franchise health. Therefore the rest of your off-season needs to follow the same disregard for the future. Not saying it's prudent or what I want, but far too long we've lowered ourselves into the pool, got waist deep and just hung out and watched the rest of the league either stay out of the water or jump in. It's time for us to be 100% committed to something, and not 50/50.

This is exactly why I'm 100% for trading Rodgers. If you do this, you have to trade Love because he's not going to have a decent shot when you have to purge the roster next year of the ****ty cap situation. 

Time to move on! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

So I've been one of the most staunch people in here that you don't change your draft strategy whether it's Love or Rodgers at QB, but I've changed my tune. The dead cap increase that you incur for bringing back Aaron, you absolutely must be all in, like true all in. That means entertaining trading a day 1 or 2 pick for a skill player floated on the block who's on a rookie deal (definitely not going to be the plethora of options like there was last year.) Also drafting for need and not BPA, taking a pro ready player like JSN (if health checks out) and plugging him right into the starting lineup vs a more potential laden player like Van Ness who might need 1-2 years like Gary.

Basically, at it's core, bringing Rodgers back is a poor exercise when looking at long-term franchise health. Therefore the rest of your off-season needs to follow the same disregard for the future. Not saying it's prudent or what I want, but far too long we've lowered ourselves into the pool, got waist deep and just hung out and watched the rest of the league either stay out of the water or jump in. It's time for us to be 100% committed to something, and not 50/50.

The Packers franchise doesn't have a true direction.  They have been riding the fence for a long time.  They kind of go all in when they keep guys like Aaron Jones at a high salary, but then they trade their top playmaker (Adams) for draft picks.  Really they are doing it all wrong, and they might be about ready to double down again.  We might be in for a world of hurt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't think the needs for the team change whether Rodgers or Love is the QB.  We still need a safety, at least a back-up pass rusher, a TE (or two), some kind of DL contributor, and probably a WR, K, and at least competition for RB.  But I would probably have different plans for the back-up QB depending on which we roll with.

And maybe I am just higher on our guys than everyone else, but I think this is at least a playoff roster with healthy OL and QB play all season.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't think the needs for the team change whether Rodgers or Love is the QB.  We still need a safety, at least a back-up pass rusher, a TE (or two), some kind of DL contributor, and probably a WR, K, and at least competition for RB.  But I would probably have different plans for the back-up QB depending on which we roll with.

And maybe I am just higher on our guys than everyone else, but I think this is at least a playoff roster with healthy OL and QB play all season.  

I agree that Love should be able to take this team to the playoffs with a few well placed signings/draft picks. But if Rodgers comes back I want to sign/trade for proven players instead.

Edited by Sandy

It's a good roster.  Ain't great, but it is good.

Clear needs?  Pass rushing EDGE.  Safety.  Tight end.

Wants?  DL.  OL.  C.  

I'm preparing to feign excitement when we draft that TE, Mayer.  When he makes a great physical play, I'll call him Michael.  When he stinks and wimps out, I'm calling him John.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

It's a good roster.  Ain't great, but it is good.

Clear needs?  Pass rushing EDGE.  Safety.  Tight end.

Wants?  DL.  OL.  C.  

I'm preparing to feign excitement when we draft that TE, Mayer.  When he makes a great physical play, I'll call him Michael.  When he stinks and wimps out, I'm calling him John.

Thankfully, Gute still believes in positional value.

The Packers Wire -   Three different mock drafts for the Packers, envisioning scenarios where the team trades Aaron Rodgers to the Raiders or Jets or doesn’t trade Rodgers at all.

No trade

15th overall pick: Bryan Bresee, DL, Clemson
45th overall pick: Derick Hall, Edge, Auburn
78th overall pick: Trey Palmer, WR, Nebraska

Trade to Raiders

7th overall pick: Myles Murphy, Edge, Clemson
15th overall pick: Brian Branch, DB, Alabama
38th overall pick: Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah
45th overall pick: Matthew Bergeron, OT, Syracuse
78th overall pick: Puka Nacua, WR, BYU

Trade to Jets

13th overall pick: Brian Branch, DB, Alabama
15th overall pick: Lukas Van Ness, Edge/DL, Iowa
43rd overall pick: Matthew Bergeron, OT, Syracuse
45th overall pick: Tucker Kraft, TE, SDSU
78th overall pick: Tyler Scott, WR, Cincinnati

7 hours ago, Leader said:

The Packers Wire -   Three different mock drafts for the Packers, envisioning scenarios where the team trades Aaron Rodgers to the Raiders or Jets or doesn’t trade Rodgers at all.

No trade

Trade to Raiders

Trade to Jets

Would be hilarious to watch the meltdown if they traded Rodgers then drafted another QB in the first too.

23 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I've been saying this for 5 years. Sadly, even if we went with that approach at this point, it might not be enough. This was the play in 2019-2021. Gute wouldn't make a move. I agree you still have to do it in 2023 if Rodgers comes back (assuming the goal is the SB), but we missed the window of opportunity. 

This is one of the primary reasons, tbh, why I hope we just trade Rodgers and move to Love. Because you're kidding yourself if you think Gute has the fortitude to pull off the necessary moves you are talking about for one more run. Never going to happen. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 1:27 PM, Packerraymond said:

This ^

17 hours ago, Leader said:

No trade

Trade to Raiders

Trade to Jets

We better not draft a guy that was never a starter in college in the first round....ie Lukas Van Ness.

On 2/13/2023 at 11:27 AM, Packerraymond said:

This is 3 years too late. You need to trade him if he's coming back. Gute is inept and put us in horrible positions for years. 

36 minutes ago, Tperk said:

We better not draft a guy that was never a starter in college in the first round....ie Lukas Van Ness.

That's the thing that confuses me about Van Ness.  Why wasn't he ever a starter?  Is it just the way they ran their scheme with rotating players?  I don't know enough about Iowa football to know what went into all that, but it does seem a bit odd for a guy ranked so high.

20 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

That's the thing that confuses me about Van Ness.  Why wasn't he ever a starter?  Is it just the way they ran their scheme with rotating players?  I don't know enough about Iowa football to know what went into all that, but it does seem a bit odd for a guy ranked so high.

He played as many snaps as anyone on that DL. Just lazy scouting.

• Like 1