Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

On 2/14/2023 at 5:27 AM, Packerraymond said:

So I've been one of the most staunch people in here that you don't change your draft strategy whether it's Love or Rodgers at QB, but I've changed my tune. The dead cap increase that you incur for bringing back Aaron, you absolutely must be all in, like true all in. That means entertaining trading a day 1 or 2 pick for a skill player floated on the block who's on a rookie deal (definitely not going to be the plethora of options like there was last year.) Also drafting for need and not BPA, taking a pro ready player like JSN (if health checks out) and plugging him right into the starting lineup vs a more potential laden player like Van Ness who might need 1-2 years like Gary.

Basically, at it's core, bringing Rodgers back is a poor exercise when looking at long-term franchise health. Therefore the rest of your off-season needs to follow the same disregard for the future. Not saying it's prudent or what I want, but far too long we've lowered ourselves into the pool, got waist deep and just hung out and watched the rest of the league either stay out of the water or jump in. It's time for us to be 100% committed to something, and not 50/50.

Totally agree with everything you said and that message needs to be relayed to Rodgers with the understanding he is coming back for one last crack and not one last pay day.

All In has to literally mean all are in and happy to sacrifice something (whether it be money, picks etc) for the goal of winning the SB

Whoever is drafted has to be pro ready to contribute immediately or you spend those picks trading for players that can make you better

Edited by OzPackfan

9 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

He played as many snaps as anyone on that DL. Just lazy scouting.

Gotcha.  I haven't looked into him enough yet, but had read or heard somewhere that he wasn't a starter and whoever said it made it sound like it was a big deal, like he didn't get a lot of snaps or something.  Stuff like that is why I try to avoid reading the draftniks.  Most of them don't know their *** from a hole in the wall..

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Would be hilarious to watch the meltdown if they traded Rodgers then drafted another QB in the first too.

They could trade Rodgers and Love and draft a quarterback in round 1 and I'd still meltdown. Not because I don't believe in drafting quarterbacks, quite the contrary. I just don't see the quarterbacks in this draft being franchise QB's. They all have warts. 

Brian Branch is my guy. 100% Brian Branch is my guy this year.

I am all in on him.

This is 100% based on a single highlight video of him, but in it I saw him decleat a back on a blitz, then get after the QB and I also saw him high point a ball for an interception and also tackle a guy.

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I am all in on him.

This is 100% based on a single highlight video of him, but in it I saw him decleat a back on a blitz, then get after the QB and I also saw him high point a ball for an interception and also tackle a guy.

You do a thorough job of scouting. I've seen him mocked to us a bunch.  

Don't care what round it happens, but we need to find an answer at TE. A good TE is more valuable than a WR and comes at half the price when on a 2nd contract. 

On one hand maybe our FO is incompetent when it comes to TE scouting. On the other, maybe it was Rodgers ignoring the middle of the field where TEs do most of their damage. 

In the past decade, almost every super bowl winner has had a good/great TE.

27 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I am all in on him.

Just so Joe Barry can ruin him like he did Darnell Savage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Don't care what round it happens, but we need to find an answer at TE. A good TE is more valuable than a WR and comes at half the price when on a 2nd contract. 

On one hand maybe our FO is incompetent when it comes to TE scouting. On the other, maybe it was Rodgers ignoring the middle of the field where TEs do most of their damage. 

Finding a good tight end is tough because there's only like six good ones league wide 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

I would guess that it is six of one, half a dozen of the other.  We don't have the horses at the position.  Therefore Rodgers doesn't throw to them.  Rodgers doesn't throw to TEs, so why would the FO invest highly in the position, if they aren't being utilized anyway?

16 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I would guess that it is six of one, half a dozen of the other.  We don't have the horses at the position.  Therefore Rodgers doesn't throw to them.  Rodgers doesn't throw to TEs, so why would the FO invest highly in the position, if they aren't being utilized anyway?

This is mind numbingly dumb. If we had Kelce he's not throwing to him? Just like he doesn't throw to rookies... Until we had a good one. Gute is inept

23 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

This is mind numbingly dumb. If we had Kelce he's not throwing to him? Just like he doesn't throw to rookies... Until we had a good one. Gute is inept

Graham had 5 total touchdowns in two seasons with Rodgers. He had 8 touchdowns in his first season in Chicago. I believe that was Trubisky throwing him the football.

Jared Cook had 30 receptions and 1 touchdown with Rodgers. 12.6 yards per reception. He didn’t have below 37 catches or under 12.7 yards per reception the rest of his career.

Robert Tonyan was 14th this year among tight end receptions.

You don’t know the state of tight ends in today’s NFL. You think Tonyan sucks when in reality he’s a top 10 receiving tight end in the league who was coming back from an injury.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Naw.  We've tried drafting tight ends, and it doesn't work.

I'm more about grabbing a decent one in free agency.  Even if that is Tonyan.

When I've looked at 2023 free agent tight ends, it is a nice list.  

• Like 3