Week 10 Mike McCarthy Revenge Game Gameday Thread - Green Bay Packers (3-6-0) vs. Dallas Cowboys (6-2-0)

Striker

2 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

It was definitely too early to go for two but it turned out to be OK because our defense let ‘em score a TD on the next  drive and then it was sorta moot. 

One could make an argument that the game was lost due to poor coaching decisions. Two fourth down attempts in the first half that failed were key. If MLF had taken the chip shot FG on the first one, the Packers go up 3-0. And at the end of the first half, instead of going for a 4th and 3, if MLF had punted we could have pinned the Lions deep in their own territory. They probably don't score, and we go into half with a 3-0 lead. When we score our TD in the second half, and take the extra point, instead of going for 2, we go up 10-0. Detroit then gets its second half TD and the score is 10-7. We kick our FG to make it 13-7. Even if Detroit scores another TD to go up 14-13, we win at the end on a FG 16-14. Poor game management on MLF's part was as much to blame as poor play. 

28 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

One could make an argument that the game was lost due to poor coaching decisions. Two fourth down attempts in the first half that failed were key. If MLF had taken the chip shot FG on the first one, the Packers go up 3-0. And at the end of the first half, instead of going for a 4th and 3, if MLF had punted we could have pinned the Lions deep in their own territory. They probably don't score, and we go into half with a 3-0 lead. When we score our TD in the second half, and take the extra point, instead of going for 2, we go up 10-0. Detroit then gets its second half TD and the score is 10-7. We kick our FG to make it 13-7. Even if Detroit scores another TD to go up 14-13, we win at the end on a FG 16-14. Poor game management on MLF's part was as much to blame as poor play. 

Generally speaking, I think it’s a lot better to go for it, esp early in games.  If this is a problem, it’s way down the list of issues to take from this game.  One up side to going for it on 4th and goal from the 1, worst case the opposing team gets the ball on the 1 yard line and you hope your defense can make a play.  Worst case, that is, until your QB throws up a ridiculous pass that only a DL can catch. 

57 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Generally speaking, I think it’s a lot better to go for it, esp early in games.  If this is a problem, it’s way down the list of issues to take from this game.  One up side to going for it on 4th and goal from the 1, worst case the opposing team gets the ball on the 1 yard line and you hope your defense can make a play.  Worst case, that is, until your QB throws up a ridiculous pass that only a DL can catch. 

I criticize MLF's game management only to be fair, because I used to criticize MM's game management. I don't think MLF is much better. And MLF's offensive scheme has gotten about as stale. Run a man in motion who gets the ball maybe 1% of the time, so ignore him. Lot's of WR screens for maybe 3 yards. Almost nothing in the middle of the field. San Fran showed the league how to defend this offense in last year's play-off game. Defend the sidelines, rush Rodgers up the middle. Even Detroit got the message. 9 friggin' points against a bad defense! The onus is on MLF to re-scheme the offense before next season, and he had better upgrade his OC before he begins. He has been figured out. 

Just now, incognito_man said:

It's pathetic how much crap this man took while here. 

We f'd up keeping Rodgers.

I like La Fleur, too, so we mitigated that somewhat, but still.

I owe him an apology. I sided with 12 back in 2018 but my eyes have been opened and, while some of what was argued was true (stale offense), he didn't deserve as much **** as he got. He's a good man.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I owe him an apology. I sided with 12 back in 2018 but my eyes have been opened and, while some of what was argued was true (stale offense), he didn't deserve as much **** as he got. He's a good man.

Time heals all wounds type of thing, but McCarthy is and was stale.

In Dallas he is bouyed by excellent coordinators, NONE of whom he chose.  Whereas in GB he was firing up the same old re-treads that have stymied the organization under MLF.  And when he did get a chance to make a hire, he completely whiffed.

McCarthy is fine.  His coaching style is fine, his organization style is fine.  We didn't lose anything at all by firing him and I'm glad he's gone.  I'm also glad for the good times when he was fresh and innovative and cocky/arrogant.  But those aren't coming back.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Time heals all wounds type of thing, but McCarthy is and was stale.

In Dallas he is bouyed by excellent coordinators, NONE of whom he chose.  Whereas in GB he was firing up the same old re-treads that have stymied the organization under MLF.  And when he did get a chance to make a hire, he completely whiffed.

McCarthy is fine.  His coaching style is fine, his organization style is fine.  We didn't lose anything at all by firing him and I'm glad he's gone.  I'm also glad for the good times when he was fresh and innovative and cocky/arrogant.  But those aren't coming back.

Was the scheme stale or the QB buy-in?

Just now, IHatesnyder said:

You guys are probably going trade Arod to us especially with Bezos probably wanting high ratings his first year as an owner . 

Would make sense.

I  would expect Indy, Atlanta, New Orleans, San Francisco, New York Giants, and possibly New England to be suitors.

If packers are willing to trade Rodgers, the market will be ROBUST.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Would make sense.

I  would expect Indy, Atlanta, New Orleans, San Francisco, New York Giants, and possibly New England to be suitors.

I hope so. Rodgers under BB's stoic tutelage would have been amazing to see if he bought in.

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Would make sense.

That’s true I think by the end of the day he will pick which team. Unfortunately he can just retire anytime so my guess is SF or Washington next year . Guys would take a 40 mil cap hit on dead cal tho but if it’s a second or third at this point I would take it for a rebuild mood . 

think you can ****** a second round pick or a third and conditional next year . It’s going be like another Bret farve vibe .

Edited by IHatesnyder