Where Do We Go From Here?

Billy86

With the season more or less officially done, what do we look at for next year now by position?

QB: It might be time to give Love the starts, at the very least until Rodgers' thumb heals fully. As best I know the cap situation makes it almost pointless to let Rodgers go at the end of the year, but we should at least see what we have there. If we can get rid of him without a crippling hit, I think it's time to just end it and focus on the rebuild.

RB: Aaron Jones is surely gone at the end of the year, unfortunately. Time to give Dillon and Hill a good look in, though I would keep Jones very much in the mix/the no. 1 guy for the year so we have an actual run game to help all the inexperience everywhere else. Call up Tyler Goodson if we get the chance.

TE: Kind of just keep on as we have been, I guess.

WR: Release Cobb and Watkins tomorrow, give them a chance to be a down-the-chart guy for an actual contender. Lazard, Toure, Doubs and Watson need to get as much game time as possible (the latter three in partlcular) - I like parts of all three, though Watson's injury issues are looking more and more Harrell-esque by the week. We want a very clear idea of where we actually stand in this position going into the offseason (both in terms of current ability and realistic upside). Pull Fulgham off the PS also and let him and Amari fight for what is left; I doubt either are back next year either way.

OL: I think it's time to wind Bakh down. Give snaps to Walker, Caleb Jones, Rhyan and Tom for experience and to again get an idea of what we have here. We know Bakh is probably done here - he's still quality, but that knee is never going to fully heal. Jenkins went from a superstar to a question mark because of the same thing, while Newman is not a starter and Hanson is not an NFL player. Might as well try to bleed in those four guys which could help us next year along with Runyan, Nijman, Meyers and Jenkins (assuming he doesn't look for mega money with his fallen stock). Again, we want a very clear idea of what we have here going forward by the end of the year when it comes to our blicmung unit. Especially in MLF's system, where blicmung is key.

DL: Time to basically forget Lowey and Jarran Reed exist, and see where we stand with Ford, Slaton'n'Slayton, Heflin and Wyatt.

EDGE: Kind of keep going as we have been. Enagbare is looking more and more like a player so keep him rotating in. We're quite aware that after him, we have essentially nothing behind Gary and Preston.

LB: Kind of keep going as it. Give some time to backups, but I don't think there is much of anything there.

Secondary: Give snaps to Leavitt, Ford, Nixon and Jean-Charles and see again what is there. We know we have two quality CBs and another who showed he can do it but has regressed massively this year, but are a bit up in the air otherwise.

ST: Punt unit is really good, keep them going as is. Crosby has been here so long I say just let him see out the year, but it's goodbye once it's over - he's absolutely done. Rotate

Coaching: MLF for as much success as he had, managed to make his seat warm with this disaster of a season. 100% bring him back next year, but we absolutely cannot have a repeat of this year - not just in terms of results, but in terms of having no plan B, often no plan A, looking disorganised, and at times just looking disinterested or even scared. We needed to play heavier sets, play more boring, and set the tempo through the run in order to set up the pass to guard against our weaknesses and inexperience... and he just refused to do it. Or Rodgers was too arrogant to let it happen despite his injuries/line issues/WR issues, and Matt let that happen - that's inexcusable. Gute is looking a hell of a lot worse now than he was a year ago too, and has put himself in some jeopardy also. I actually have more time for Barry than most, but it's still wearing thin - the defence hasn't really been our biggest issue this year, but if he cannot get that run defence sorted out by the end of the year, it might well be time to say goodbye. Steno looked like a wizard last year, now I'm wondering if there is a way to bump him down to position coach again and get a new coordinator. Unfortunately it's unlikely, but he may well have been promoted up too quickly.

Wins and losses don't matter for the rest of the year as far as I am concerned; seeing what we have for 2023 is all I care about for the second half of this disaster of a year, particularly:
- Love at QB against regular season NFL defences
- Our 3 rookie WRs (+ Fulgham/Rodgers to a small extent)
- Our 4 rookie linemen
- Hill & Goodson at RB
- Our unproven defensive linemen
- Our special teams signings in the secondary

Just now, Billy86 said:

With the season more or less officially done, what do we look at for next year now by position?

QB: It might be time to give Love the starts, at the very least until Rodgers' thumb heals fully. As best I know the cap situation makes it almost pointless to let Rodgers go at the end of the year, but we should at least see what we have there. If we can get rid of him without a crippling hit, I think it's time to just end it and focus on the rebuild.

RB: Aaron Jones is surely gone at the end of the year, unfortunately. Time to give Dillon and Hill a good look in, though I would keep Jones very much in the mix/the no. 1 guy for the year so we have an actual run game to help all the inexperience everywhere else. Call up Tyler Goodson if we get the chance.

TE: Kind of just keep on as we have been, I guess.

WR: Release Cobb and Watkins tomorrow, give them a chance to be a down-the-chart guy for an actual contender. Lazard, Toure, Doubs and Watson need to get as much game time as possible (the latter three in partlcular) - I like parts of all three, though Watson's injury issues are looking more and more Harrell-esque by the week. We want a very clear idea of where we actually stand in this position going into the offseason (both in terms of current ability and realistic upside). Pull Fulgham off the PS also and let him and Amari fight for what is left; I doubt either are back next year either way.

OL: I think it's time to wind Bakh down. Give snaps to Walker, Caleb Jones, Rhyan and Tom for experience and to again get an idea of what we have here. We know Bakh is probably done here - he's still quality, but that knee is never going to fully heal. Jenkins went from a superstar to a question mark because of the same thing, while Newman is not a starter and Hanson is not an NFL player. Might as well try to bleed in those four guys which could help us next year along with Runyan, Nijman, Meyers and Jenkins (assuming he doesn't look for mega money with his fallen stock). Again, we want a very clear idea of what we have here going forward by the end of the year when it comes to our blicmung unit. Especially in MLF's system, where blicmung is key.

DL: Time to basically forget Lowey and Jarran Reed exist, and see where we stand with Ford, Slaton'n'Slayton, Heflin and Wyatt.

EDGE: Kind of keep going as we have been. Enagbare is looking more and more like a player so keep him rotating in. We're quite aware that after him, we have essentially nothing behind Gary and Preston.

LB: Kind of keep going as it. Give some time to backups, but I don't think there is much of anything there.

Secondary: Give snaps to Leavitt, Ford, Nixon and Jean-Charles and see again what is there. We know we have two quality CBs and another who showed he can do it but has regressed massively this year, but are a bit up in the air otherwise.

ST: Punt unit is really good, keep them going as is. Crosby has been here so long I say just let him see out the year, but it's goodbye once it's over - he's absolutely done. Rotate

Coaching: MLF for as much success as he had, managed to make his seat warm with this disaster of a season. 100% bring him back next year, but we absolutely cannot have a repeat of this year - not just in terms of results, but in terms of having no plan B, often no plan A, looking disorganised, and at times just looking disinterested or even scared. We needed to play heavier sets, play more boring, and set the tempo through the run in order to set up the pass to guard against our weaknesses and inexperience... and he just refused to do it. Or Rodgers was too arrogant to let it happen despite his injuries/line issues/WR issues, and Matt let that happen - that's inexcusable. Gute is looking a hell of a lot worse now than he was a year ago too, and has put himself in some jeopardy also. I actually have more time for Barry than most, but it's still wearing thin - the defence hasn't really been our biggest issue this year, but if he cannot get that run defence sorted out by the end of the year, it might well be time to say goodbye. Steno looked like a wizard last year, now I'm wondering if there is a way to bump him down to position coach again and get a new coordinator. Unfortunately it's unlikely, but he may well have been promoted up too quickly.

Wins and losses don't matter for the rest of the year as far as I am concerned; seeing what we have for 2023 is all I care about for the second half of this disaster of a year, particularly:
- Love at QB against regular season NFL defences
- Our 3 rookie WRs (+ Fulgham/Rodgers to a small extent)
- Our 4 rookie linemen
- Hill & Goodson at RB
- Our unproven defensive linemen
- Our special teams signings in the secondary

QB: I'd let Love start. Im done with Rodgers. Its not just his play but his overall attitude. 

RB: Aaron Jones is literally our only dynamic player on offense. Im not sure why you let him walk . AJ Dillon is BROKEN.  I don't believe in him at all.

WR- Resign Lazard. He has a chance to catch the ball anytime its in his vicinity. But let the young pups Develop. Amari, Toure, Doubs. I wasn't a fan of Watson at all but his speed is special. He's just beyond fragile. Anyone who has followed Sammy Watkins knew this was a waste of a signing. He does nothing for us.  Cobb Im 50/50. I'd love his leadership at the right price. 

TE is a complete **** show. Tonyan was robbed of his speed so far and the other TE's don't run fast than a 5.0 40 yard time.

Oline I'm higher on the Oline than most. I feel the young pups can figure it out with more  time. Jenkins is getting better and is at his best spot at guard. Bahk can go at 20m+

Dline: Clark hasnt shown up in weeks now. Let Wyatt get more time, same with Slaton. Reed hasn't done ANYTHING this year. Lowry? lol I'd draft another DT if i could.

EDGE: Gary is special. I like P.Smith too. Engabere is coming along well too. Every week he makes a play. Probably our best group.

ILB: LOLOL. As a former LB this is why I'm so critical of this group. Campell resigning was trash. I think we know that All pro season was just a fluke year. Hes been solid this year but I think we're going to regret that contract. I got ragged on when we took Quay Walker. I don't know what most of this forum seen on tape when watching this guy. I hated him as a prospect anything before the 3rd. RAS doesn't mean much to me at this position. LB more so instincts and being knowledgeable.  Had a great rookie start thru two weeks but it's been ALL downhill since. He looks lost out there man. I want him to prove me wrong tho.

CB: Jaire and Rasul have looked good to me. Eric Stokes? While not bad he's not good either.  

S: I love Amos but he is 30? the age is going to show soon. Savage is terrible. He can't cover, he doesn't tackle. just Terrible. 

4 minutes ago, GHARMON9 said:

RB: Aaron Jones is literally our only dynamic player on offense. Im not sure why you let him walk . AJ Dillon is BROKEN.  I don't believe in him at all.

If we can afford to keep him somehow then I 1,000% agree with you. With Love under center I think we should be running the offense through Jones, and kind of thought we should have this year too even with Rodgers there because of the O-line/WR issues. 

I have not followed the cap situation super close, but everyone who I know that has seems to more or less unanimously think he is gone next year due to it - that's the only reason I would like to see what else we have. If not and if we can, then keep him here at all realistic costs and make him 'the guy' for next year at least (assuming Rodgers is done in GB).

The team needs an excuse to see Love taking more live snaps.  I don't see it happening, but it would be nice to see the team tell Rodgers that it's time to let the thumb heal properly and shut him down for a week or three.  The team can always say the injury was way worse than they were letting on, but Rodgers was trying to gut it out.  Some version of that is probably the truth. 

As a bonus, it would make for great entertainment value if Love unexpectably played well.

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The team needs an excuse to see Love taking more live snaps.  I don't see it happening, but it would be nice to see the team tell Rodgers that it's time to let the thumb heal properly and shut him down for a week or three.  The team can always say the injury was way worse than they were letting on, but Rodgers was trying to gut it out.  Some version of that is probably the truth. 

As a bonus, it would make for great entertainment value if Love unexpectably played well.

I think Rodgers goes on IR once we get to 9-10 losses. Think we'll see Love for the last 3-4 games of the season.

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Rodgers getting sat down without a significant ( new)  injury is a pipe dream.  

I see no way he accepts that without taking some veiled shots during press conferences or on McAfee 

kathy bates misery GIF

Maybe the team could try a new experimental therapy for his thumb.

• Like 2