Where Do We Go From Here?

Billy86

It appears the Packers have broken Andy Herman.

There are a ton of issues, but ultimately, the Packers are just soft… -Can’t move defensive linemen in the run game. -Can’t break tackles -Can’t hold up at the LOS on defense -Can’t tackle -Can’t withstand press coverage -Cant catch through contact -Can’t overcome adversity

38 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

My dream scenario

Trade Rodgers to the Colts(or similar team) for a 1st, 2nd(that turns into a conditional 1st) and 4th

Cut Bakh 

Cut Jones 

1. I would amazed if someone wants to trade multiple high round picks for a one-two year rental on QB who'll be due a ton of dollars on his current contract.

2. I'm not sure what you do with Bakh. Cutting him only nets you about $6M in savings, which could be easily eaten up by his replacement. Maybe you have Nijman and Tom as your 2023 Tackles, but you'll either need to draft a replacement or sign someone to backup. When Bakh plays he's actually pretty good, so keeping him and hoping he continues to recover might be the most prudent move.

3. Probably a forgone conclusion. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Norm said:

That guy is wrong about that **** all the time and then backtracks and says wellllll blah blah this is diff now blah blah blah

In this case...I'm afraid he's right
6acc1b74-534e-42db-a420-22876c1c0823_scr

Now, that doesn't mean there's NO room to change his deal if both sides agree and rework some things.  But the contract he signed was 1) weird and 2) gets more expensive the longer he plays.

Edited by skibrett15
  • Like 2

I in no way want Love to start any of our remaining games.  Ol Rodg can play in the crap filled swill he is a big part of, he can take the beating for nothing.

Murph and Gute were idiots to not trade Rodgers when we had a great chance to for a great return.  Instead they bury us with this old man.  On top of that at this last trade deadline they weren't even bright enough to cash out where we could have at that point.  Are Jones and P Smith going to be on the team next year?  They both should have been traded.  We should have been big sellers of those who do not have a future with us long term, forget about buying.

Edited by 15412
  • Like 1

Rodgers isn’t going anywhere.  His contract and retiring same time as Brady mean he is coming back.  

Gute and LaFleur aren’t going to start Love.  It would prove how dumb drafting Love was and how bad the resign of Rodgers was.  Next year is going to be status quo.  We as fans will suffer and some will still defend this management team.

They didn’t have to resign Rodgers. They could have put offensive talent around him or they could sit on their hands always playing it safe and getting what we have.

1 hour ago, pgwingman said:

1. I would amazed if someone wants to trade multiple high round picks for a one-two year rental on QB who'll be due a ton of dollars on his current contract.

2. I'm not sure what you do with Bakh. Cutting him only nets you about $6M in savings, which could be easily eaten up by his replacement. Maybe you have Nijman and Tom as your 2023 Tackles, but you'll either need to draft a replacement or sign someone to backup. When Bakh plays he's actually pretty good, so keeping him and hoping he continues to recover might be the most prudent move.

3. Probably a forgone conclusion. 

1. Most of his dollars would be eaten by us tho so the team receiving him would be getting him on a massive discount. I can see some front offices talking themselves into the fact that he had no weapons or OL has the reason for his 2022 season

2. I'm looking at 2023 as a re-set year. Rip the bandaid off and take all the dead cap hits in one year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebpackfan said:

No one will be trading for Rodgers. 

Exactly. That contract is a humongous pile of cash and problems, even with the Packers eating all that dead cap the new team would be on the hook for the 2023 and 2024 salary (which can be played with using the options, but all they do is move that cap hit to later years) so he's basically untradeable.

Looking Ahead to the Packers Options with Aaron Rodgers | Over the Cap

For the team acquiring Rodgers they would be on the hook for the salary for the year. The cap charge would be $59,515,000 if they do not exercise his option and $15.79 million if they were to exercise the option. Rodgers has an injury guarantee of $49.25 million for 2024 but that does not become fully guaranteed until 5 days after the 2023 Super Bowl. If Rodgers was cut after 2023 it would cost the team $43.725 million on the 2024 cap.

Edited by Packer_ESP

14 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Exactly. That contract is a humongous pile of cash and problems, even with the Packers eating all that dead cap the new team would be on the hook for the 2023 and 2024 salary (which can be played with using the options, but all they do is move that cap hit to later years) so he's basically untradeable.

Looking Ahead to the Packers Options with Aaron Rodgers | Over the Cap

"

Can Aaron Rodgers be Cut?

No that is not a feasible option. Because his salary next year is fully guaranteed the Packers would take on over $99 million in dead money. While they could officially pick up the option and split that across 2023 and 2024 it would be about $31 million in dead money in 2023 and then $68.2 million coming in 2024."

WELP

This is wild. He can be traded, but not cut. So literally a team could say "hey, will give you a 2025 conditional 7th rounder" and we'd have to take it just to make the cap next year.

The real question is if a team would want to take on his contract and all those $40M dead cap hits as well.

41 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

1. Most of his dollars would be eaten by us tho so the team receiving him would be getting him on a massive discount. I can see some front offices talking themselves into the fact that he had no weapons or OL has the reason for his 2022 season

2. I'm looking at 2023 as a re-set year. Rip the bandaid off and take all the dead cap hits in one year

But "talking themselves into it" does not equate to "desperately want to acquire a QB coming off back to back MVPs" and the offered package will reflect that.

Too many people are bagging Gute for his drafting.  That wasn't his colossal blunder.  His colossal blunder wasn't trading him to the Broncos in the offseason.  I've been saying since the offseason he needed to go.  Now I'm right but 1) it's too late and 2) I don't get any pleasure from being right because the team I follow is going to spend 2-3 years trying to get out of the hole they dug.

• Like 2