Thoughts on Starters... Midway point

Humble_Beast

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Unfortunately Josh Jacobs has probably out priced himself for us to be able to resign him. 

I believe there are going to be a few RBs available this offseason. . . so hopefully its one of those where the supply out weighs the demand and draws keeps prices a bit lower.
Then you get Vegas no state tax. 

Then maybe we cut 3 of our 7 RBs to save some room LOL.

I do agree though itll be tough, and he deserves his big payday if that is what he decides to go after. 
But would love to find a way to get him back

8 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I believe there are going to be a few RBs available this offseason. . . so hopefully its one of those where the supply out weighs the demand and draws keeps prices a bit lower.
Then you get Vegas no state tax. 

Then maybe we cut 3 of our 7 RBs to save some room LOL.

I do agree though itll be tough, and he deserves his big payday if that is what he decides to go after. 
But would love to find a way to get him back

Spotrac has his market value at 4 yr/$47M ($11.7M APY) which would make him the 8th highest paid RB in the league at around the same cap # as guys like Dalvin Cook, Joe Mixon, and Aaron Jones. Depending on what happens with Waller I could see us potentially bringing him back but it'd be tough to pay him $12M when we're also set to pay Carr, Waller, Renfrow, etc top money. 

We could structure his deal similarly to what we did with Adams though who only had a $3.5m cap hit this year and only has a $6m cap hit next year. 

I think it's more likely we spend on the OL though and roll with Zamir, Brown, and probably another vet. Someone like Damien Harris or Sony Michel would make sense. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Spotrac has his market value at 4 yr/$47M ($11.7M APY) which would make him the 8th highest paid RB in the league at around the same cap # as guys like Dalvin Cook, Joe Mixon, and Aaron Jones. Depending on what happens with Waller I could see us potentially bringing him back but it'd be tough to pay him $12M when we're also set to pay Carr, Waller, Renfrow, etc top money. 

We could structure his deal similarly to what we did with Adams though who only had a $3.5m cap hit this year and only has a $6m cap hit next year. 

I think it's more likely we spend on the OL though and roll with Zamir, Brown, and probably another vet. Someone like Damien Harris or Sony Michel would make sense. 

yeah that is very steep, and I couldnt do it. Even though i love me some jacobs. 
4 year, 38M is prob max id offer. Really sell the no income tax. 
Let him test the market, and just ask him to give us a chance to counter, a team like the Rams we should be able to pay 12% less than!
Would need a smart structure too. 

I def could see us bringing in Harris though

2 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

yeah that is very steep, and I couldnt do it. Even though i love me some jacobs. 
4 year, 38M is prob max id offer. Really sell the no income tax. 
Let him test the market, and just ask him to give us a chance to counter, a team like the Rams we should be able to pay 12% less than!
Would need a smart structure too. 

I def could see us bringing in Harris though

Alexander Mattison is who I'd want if we move on from Jacobs. Dude is going to breakout as soon as he goes somewhere that he can be the feature back. It'd be easier to pay Jacobs if we hadn't paid Waller/Renfrow but we just have so many holes that he's probably the odd man out. I also don't think that the current regime really values RBs all that highly. 

Interested to see who would be in on him but I'd imagine the Bears, Lions, and Falcons will be amongst the most interested suitors. 

Edited by NYRaider

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Quarterback - Carr started terribly against the Chargers and had an awful game against the Saints but looking at his overall body of work I don't think he's been bad per se. He's not matched up to expectations (not sure they were realistic TBH) but he is looking after the ball and if he can be a little more accurate and he can trust the Oline a bit I think things may start clicking. Stidham I just don't know if you'd trust him, he's probably a backup quality player at best who can come in for a drive or two but we simply don't know yet as we haven't really seen him in regular season action.

Runningback - I think it's fair to say, Josh Jacobs is having his best year. He seems more light on his feet and decisive this year and even with a poor Oline he's been excellent. Definitely been one of our top two players on offence. I thought we'd probably see more rotation and I'd like to see more White moving forward as I'm excited by his potential.

Wide Receiver - Devante Adams is as billed. Class. Renfrow withthe injury and fumbles game has been a bit of a let down so far but he may come back strong. Hollins is what he is, a decent #3 or #4 receiver who is being thrust into a #2 role and looks inconsistent. None of the others have really stood up.

Tight End - Foster Moreau has been good, Waller has been probably our biggest disappointment. Don't claim to know what's up with him but if he really isn't happy then ship his ungrateful backside straight out of town.

Oline - Oooof, what is there to say? Miller has been good IMO but the situation with OG and RT has been pretty dire. James at OC has been below average too. Parham offers a bit of hope as a future OG/OC. I always say we need 3 quality players and the other two can fill in. We might have Miller and Parham but we need at least one quality starter and possibly two which should be very achievable in the offseason. Munford has shown a little but at times he looks like a 7th round rookie........he'll take time.

Dline - Run defence has been a bright spot mostly and Crosby has been nothing short of superb. We just need someone, anyone, to step up in pass rush, Nicholls has been a bit underwhelming even though he's not a big-ticket FA we did expect more. I've always loved Chandler Jones as a player but he just looks weary out there and a yard short on every play. We desperately need a DT that can add some pass rush and a compliment for Crosby, doesn't have to be a star but just someone like Irvin was for Mack. The two rookie DTs haven't shown anything really but it is still really early. Two impact players will transform this defence IMO.

Linebackers - Overall I'm not unhappy with how they've performed. Perryman is a really solid player who lacks a little in coverage but he seems to lead and galvanise the team. Deablo has been a bit disappointing but Masterson looked OK the last couple games. I'm of the belief that the Dline is much more important and you can get away with average to decent players here anyway so wouldn't spend much cap here.

Cornerbacks - In fairness, we have been beset with injuries here. We all know Hobbs is a future star and I've been happy with how Ya Sin has played. Averette I did say after we signed him was not very good after watching him numerous times getting beat for the Ravens last year and he's proven so. Webb has some promise but we have two capable outside starters at least moving forward and one could be a star. We do need to add some depth here in FA and the draft.

Safety - Harmon has been a nice player, very cerebral and knows what to do and where to be. Abram was a one-dimensional player and won't miss him to be honest. Moehrig has been a letdown as I was hoping he'd take the next step after being solid as a rookie last year. I do find it hard to put much blame on the DBs when our pass rush is so anaemic though. We do need to add another player here in FA or draft that can cover.

Kicker/Punter - No issues here, both do their jobs and Carlson is excellent.

I agree with almost all of this, good breakdown. I really hope the team invests in the DL, and OL

• Like 1